Could HBO consider another extra season?

Mordor

Seeing the backlash and divisive reception from the critics, do you think they would make another season by re-negotiate some of the actors to return for a, let'say 7 episodes arc? And with other writers that may satisfied the majority of the fans? 

2 minutes ago, divica said:

And what about an animated alternate 8th season?

David and Dan are the ones who brought the show to HBO, not vice versa. They and their production company are inextricably linked to the show. Short of HBO spending what would probably be tens of millions of dollars to buy their interest out entirely, there's no way D&D are going to back down on the idea that they completed the story to their satisfaction.

3 minutes ago, Ran said:

David and Dan are the ones who brought the show to HBO, not vice versa. They and their production company are inextricably linked to the show. Short of HBO spending what would probably be tens of millions of dollars to buy their interest out entirely, there's no way D&D are going to back down on the idea that they completed the story to their satisfaction. 

Isn t that weird? Or is it normal for the creators of the show to own the show? 

1 minute ago, divica said:

Isn t that weird? Or is it normal for the creators of the show to own the show? 

They don't own the show, per se, but they own an interest in the property that they developed and then took to HBO. I don't think that's unusual at all. This is why they negotiated with HBO over how many seasons, because HBO couldn't just tell them "Make five more". 

The litigation to do this would be long, horrendous and very expensive and therefore -- see Looooooooooooong -- pointless.

Also the producers - showrunners of the company that owns so many of the rights have a new job.  And by now they are heartily SICK of GOT.

The only way it's possible (maybe a 0.00000000000000001% chance) is if they filmed alternative endings, which apparently they did.

They could then cut these into the existing season and release them as oh, I don't know, some sort of dance of dreams?

Never going to happen, but this is my Last Theory.

It is just so weird for GOT to end like this. After 8 years they should make something to make the fans happy and don t ruin GOT's legacy.

The entire final season is a huge nightmare that basicaly prevents them from profiting form the show ever again...

I enjoyed this season, despite some weird decisions being made. But if I were HBO, I would have made either a animated season 9 or a 4 episodes season with 90 minutes runtime each. Okay fanfiction here again:

A new threat arises from the East after 5 years since last season. A exiled warlord from Yi Ti that lives in Carcosa begins worshipping The Great Other. Through that, he gains power of immortality and with the help of TGO allies from K'Dath, the necromancer there devise a spell to turn people into wights or more closely like The Mountain. These wights will be more disciplined than the rabid mob we used to. Alongside with another allies, the vampire men from Cities of the Bloodless Men and his own men wearing samurai-like armor, they going on a rampage throughout the areas around Eastern Essos and then venture westward. The Faceless men have been sent to try to assissinate the warlord, but they can't penetrate the magic that protects him. If Jon Snow is still alive after this season, he will be marked as Azor Ahai from priestess of R'Hllor and we will see the epic battle of fire and ice saga. 

@Mordor So your solution is to retrofit a bad ending into a story about settings and people that have never even been seen or mentioned in the show. So, there is more magic in this ninth season when magic became absolutely irrelevant after the sixth season? What?!

No. It's too late.

They should just wait 20 or 30 years and remake it if they so wish. Maybe as an animated show.

9 minutes ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

@Mordor So your solution is to retrofit a bad ending into a story about settings and people that have never even been seen or mentioned in the show. So, there is more magic in this ninth season when magic became absolutely irrelevant after the sixth season? What?!

No. It's too late.

They should just wait 20 or 30 years and remake it if they so wish. Maybe as an animated show.

The 9th season would be more of a ''LOTR'' feature films with my idea. That's why it's just 4 episodes. 

There's more then enough money to be milked out of what they have, merchandise to blueray discs with alternative endings, another blue ray release later with deleted scenes.. re-re-release again in a few years with added commentary.. 

3 hours ago, Bradam said:

There's more then enough money to be milked out of what they have, merchandise to blueray discs with alternative endings, another blue ray release later with deleted scenes.. re-re-release again in a few years with added commentary.. 

There are a lot of people that have bought every box set so far saying they won't bother with this last season and may either give away or throw away the ones they currently own.  I and my wife are among them.

They're killed the franchise.  People will watch this last episode, and if it's as bad as the rest of the season has been, there's a fair chance no further GoT related television show will work until this generation is no longer the target audience.

Archived