Could HBO consider another extra season?

Mordor

12 hours ago, Dragons Are Real said:

There are a lot of people that have bought every box set so far saying they won't bother with this last season and may either give away or throw away the ones they currently own.  I and my wife are among them.

They're killed the franchise.  People will watch this last episode, and if it's as bad as the rest of the season has been, there's a fair chance no further GoT related television show will work until this generation is no longer the target audience.

Let me know and I'll pay for the ride of your boxed sets to me.  I have paypal :)

4 hours ago, Winter prince said:

Let me know and I'll pay for the ride of your boxed sets to me.  I have paypal :)

I'll let you know if my wife hasn't already promised them to her brother or dad.  They both still love the show, and they tend to pass things around the family pretty regularly.

Do you guys think, that, after this seasons backlash, HBO will reconsider the prequels? Financially, it would make no sense, because GoT is the biggest beast they ever had, and this year they are crushing it. But HBO also has a reputation of quality over quantity. I could see it, that after the desaster that Season 8 has become, they say that they will stop it for a time. 

57 minutes ago, T and A said:

Do you guys think, that, after this seasons backlash, HBO will reconsider the prequels? Financially, it would make no sense, because GoT is the biggest beast they ever had, and this year they are crushing it. But HBO also has a reputation of quality over quantity. I could see it, that after the desaster that Season 8 has become, they say that they will stop it for a time. 

I think that they're too far into The Long Night to consider stopping production. It'll probably last at least a couple seasons. I imagine that episode 3 will axe the viewership for that. I think that Empire of Ash will continue on as well. Season 8 could definitely spell out the end for the untitled prequel. I imagine that Empire of Ash will be the most successful of the prequels, though.

On 5/17/2019 at 12:22 AM, T and A said:

Prequels will be fine. The budget for them is much lower. You may lose a % of the audience but if the showrunners in the prequels do a good job the bulk of the audience will return. Luckily the showrunner for "The Long Night" has a better track record of success than Dan & Dave. They can undo some of the damage done in Episode 3 and properly explain the original story of the whitewalkers as it should have been. 

On 5/17/2019 at 1:31 AM, Aurane said:

I think that they're too far into The Long Night to consider stopping production. It'll probably last at least a couple seasons. I imagine that episode 3 will axe the viewership for that. I think that Empire of Ash will continue on as well. Season 8 could definitely spell out the end for the untitled prequel. I imagine that Empire of Ash will be the most successful of the prequels, though.

and if the prequels do well, they will continue onwards with more prequels, potential sequels or reboots. You have to hope for the success of this show and hopefully this is a learning lesson for future showrunners and HBO on what not to do. If they learn from their mistakes, the future is endless for Game of Thrones.

It took a nosedive, but let‘s wait for the finale first.

Nobody is going to redo the season though, the show is what it is. 

There will probably be a remake though ten or fifteen years from now when the whole book plot is revealed, maybe mini-movies, maybe animated, the franchise is too big to not do a remake of some kind.

Re-making season 8 is a ridiculous idea, unless of course the last episode doesn't air.  Getting all the actors back would be a logistical nightmare.

Doing more seasons however could be possible, either as spin-offs, or with the entire set of characters that survive the finale.  They don't have to do it right away, but maybe in 5 years or so.  What happened to this and that character?  Where are they now?  It probably won't happen, but you never know.

S8 should have been two full seasons of the same budget as the first few seasons, filmed in one year each. Forget the costly battles, they weren't worth it.

The show was better when it had a smaller budget.

This video is about how Kissed by Fire was the best episode, and I really agree. No reason why we couldn't have two seasons filmed in one year each over what we got. D&D would have still finished the show in the same time frame. Making s8 shorter with a bigger budget was the biggest mistake ever.

I'm part of a FB Mom's group for my country, and recently there was a poll asking about the new season.  I was surprised that the majority of people who commented still loved the new season.  Me and one other person were literally the ONLY ones to comment negatively.  My impression is that a lot of the more "shallow" viewers, people who watch the show for just pure entertainment/something to pass the time, are still fine with the show.  The enjoy the entertainment and then move on and don't think about the plot holes or ruined character development.  They most certainly do not care enough to seek out a forum of any kind. 

So no, I don't think HBO would do any more seasons.  I think GoT will still be considered a amazing success, even in light of the missteps it made in the last few years and especially with this last season. 

55 minutes ago, Red Dragon10 said:

So no, I don't think HBO would do any more seasons.  I think GoT will still be considered a amazing success, even in light of the missteps it made in the last few years and especially with this last season.

that ship has already sailed. Unless the final ep is completly fantastic the show is ruined for a lot of people. Since ep 3 that the fan base has been reacting increasingly against the show. And this season makes most of the show not rewatchable… It ruins and makes most of the arcs of previous seasons useless...

And what made this show so big is that similarly to LOST the social media became obecessed with finding out how the misteries of the show would be answered and its originality. Any show related to GOT now has the stygma of how unsatisfied the fans became. I don t think any GOT related show will ever reach the same status as GOT... If the show is lucky they might have the same status as "the last kingdom"... Which is a fine show, but doesn t atract people the same way as GOT

We live in an age of reboots, so I guess it's not impossible down the road someone will negotiate taking another shot at the franchise. Not sure I'd put my faith in that even if it does happen. 

As to the prequels? Well it's the Star Wars syndrome. No matter how much things decline, it'll keep putting butts in the seats  for sequels, prequels, spinoffs no matter what just in the hope that it'll recapture the original magic. D&D are moving on to that market after all, they know this. I'm not holding any faith in the prequels, though I guess there's a small chance there will be a quality writing staff that isn't stifled by the producers. 

Honestly if you want a reproduction of season 8, may as well head on over to fanfiction.net. Yeah, Martin hates fanfics, but he signed off on the most expensive one ever, so what's that mean?

Archived