What happened to the Iron Throne?

Panos Targaryen

I had hoped it might melt down, that way "created by dragon fire, destroyed by dragon fire".

Currently, I believe the throne room looks like in Daenerys's vision in the House of the Undying, so partly destroyed, covered in white ash. 

iirc dragon fire destroyed that big window behind the Iron Throne with the Lannister lion (as it is seen in the opening sequence) and it seemed to me that basically the whole Red Keep was destroyed, so I suppose that the IT is partially or completely melted and is buried under the ruins of the Red Keep.

I thought we did not actually see the throne room area getting attacked. In fact, Dany was spending her time burning other parts of KL than the Red Keep.Cersei and Jaime were killed in Maegor’s Holdfast. So shouldn’t the throne be intact?

48 minutes ago, Obsidian Knight said:

It's intact because it's very important to show the throne in the last episode. 

This. 

We see the freaking foundations of the Red Keep collapse over Jaime and Cersei. The implication is that the building goes down like a sandcastle. Yet in the next episode preview it stands intact, which means the writers thought a large masonry structure didn't need foundations anyway. Just as Daenerys's armies are shown to be massacred without survivors multiple times, yet always be intact with untold thousands of armed and armoured soldiers ready for battle in the next episode, the Red Keep can be shown to collapse completely this week, yet the throne room still be left intact save from some holes in the ceiling next week.

The writers have clearly abandoned the concept of consequences by this point. The dead stay dead if they have a name, but nameless grunts are slain to the last man if the dramaturgy of one episode demands it, yet resurrected in full if an army is required in the next episode. So is the Red Keep; they can destroy it spectacularly today and have it stand completely intact tomorrow. At this point, I'm nearly expecting that Sansa will summon ten thousand men of the Night's Watch to fight for her if Daenerys comes back north.

7 hours ago, Obsidian Knight said:

It's intact because it's very important to show the throne in the last episode. 

They will definitely not let something that important be destroyed without making a scene out of it. So it will probably be dug up. Which is depressing, since it was always a depressing throne. It says in the novels that you had to be careful when you sat on it, because of the many sharp pieces.

Back when they had lots of dragons it would have made sense to make a throne out of big dragon bones, or dragon teeth.

There is some login in a show:
- battle of Bastards - both armies get almost annihilated and mountains of dead are piling. Next episode it turns out half of Jon's army was resurrected.
- battle of Wintrerfell - there is but a handful o people left alive, mostly due to plot armor or mountains of dead shielding them from the living dead. Next episode it turns out half of army didn't actually die. Even the Dothraki.

So I guess KL and its population will be pretty much unscathed and next episode Dany will sit on the Iron Throne.

39 minutes ago, TwiceBorn said:

So I guess KL and its population will be pretty much unscathed and next episode Dany will sit on the Iron Throne.

"What a terrible queen she is! She burned the city and killed all of us! Okay, we all survived and the city is fine too, but still!"

Archived