A failed tragedy

Tyrion1991

3 minutes ago, a girl knows nothing said:

At first we are meant to celebrate the dragons. They were woken from stone - their very existence is incredible. And they can be used for good - liberating slaves and stopping oppression. But then their true dangerous potential is revealed (though it had been there all along) when a child, rather than an enemy or slaver, is burned. I think we are meant to have conflicting feelings toward the dragons as with Dany.

Yes. The dragons are WMDs--capable of protecting us and proving crucial offense in times of need. But they can also cause horrible unwanted destruction. I agree that we're meant to be conflicted over whether it was a good thing that Dany hatched them.

1 minute ago, weirwoodface said:

Yes. The dragons are WMDs--capable of protecting us and proving crucial offense in times of need. But they can also cause horrible unwanted destruction. I agree that we're meant to be conflicted over whether it was a good thing that Dany hatched them.

In the case of KL we have to speak of wanted destruction. Unfortunately. 

Just now, Arakan said:

In the case of KL we have to speak of wanted destruction. Unfortunately. 

True. Wanted by one person who decides to go off-plan. And that might be another point GRRM intends to make, although I could be reaching here. It's like having the final say on whether to launch nukes given to an unstable person, and there are several of those currently around the world.

3 minutes ago, weirwoodface said:

True. Wanted by one person who decides to go off-plan. And that might be another point GRRM intends to make, although I could be reaching here. It's like having the final say on whether to launch nukes given to an unstable person, and there are several of those currently around the world.

Indeed if there is one person in the real world to go on a global rampage out of narcissistic rage, it would be DT. Thank god (or at least I hope so), there are still checks and balances in the US. 

4 hours ago, Arakan said:

Well agree to disagree. If there ever was a „love letter” for „power to the people“ in Fantasy, then it’s ASOIAF. Tyrants gonna be tyrants, no matter how you dress them. For me that’s a very positive message. It’s a message for the empowerment of the so called „smallfolk”. To this date the USA and France celebrate their liberation from the self-announced Elite aka aristocracy and monarchy. Is that nihilistic too?

Which is disingenuous. A hero represents the individuals ability to affect the world around them positively. That an individual can have agency. That’s not an endorsement of state power, the crude analogy made in Watchman and writers which aped his work. By saying that a hero trying to change the world around them is inherently wrong you are brow beating people into supporting the status quo which is imposed from the top. For example, Captain America opposing Shield and General Ross in his films. 

Are you really complaining that Dany hasn’t read her Voltaire. Centuries separate the enlightenment from the Middle Ages which Game of Thrones represents. None of the other characters suggest removing feudalism; which is BTW far more problematic than an autocratic monarch despite the views on this forum.

Archived