The Nights Watch is over right?

Vaughn

Big hole in the wall, a threat which is actually pretty easily eliminated if you have the skills and equipment - there's simply no need for it other than to keep the wildings out and they're decimated anyways. 

I would have liked the magic and supernatural things to have meant something. If I want to see a vicious and tyrannical ruler get their just deserts, I'll rewatch 'Gladiator'. 

I guess Sam is Lord Commander now, being the sole survivor of the Night's Watch. Not that there's much to watch over anyway, the White Walkers are gone and the Wildlings turned out to be quite a nice bunch of fellas once one got to know them better. The Wall might have some value as a historical monument, though. I guess the Watch could be re-instated as a brotherhood of museum curators.

2 hours ago, Kyll.Ing. said:

I guess Sam is Lord Commander now, being the sole survivor of the Night's Watch. Not that there's much to watch over anyway, the White Walkers are gone and the Wildlings turned out to be quite a nice bunch of fellas once one got to know them better. The Wall might have some value as a historical monument, though. I guess the Watch could be re-instated as a brotherhood of museum curators.

But what's so stupid then is why did they build the wall in the first place? There's been many previous winters, etc... The show never explained why this time was worse right? Did the Others get south of the wall in the past ages? I guess the Wall is actually like the Great Wall of China in that it looks impressive and is a waste of resources.

53 minutes ago, Vaughn said:

But what's so stupid then is why did they build the wall in the first place? There's been many previous winters, etc... The show never explained why this time was worse right? Did the Others get south of the wall in the past ages? I guess the Wall is actually like the Great Wall of China in that it looks impressive and is a waste of resources.

Can't exactly remember whether the show explained it well, but in the books it's made explicitly clear that the Wall was built after the previous attack by the White Walkers - some eight thousand years earlier. Over time, the White Walkers turned into legend, since they didn't show up any more over all those millennia, and the Wall's purpose was mostly forgotten. The Night's Watch became more of a colony for war prisoners, an alternative to execution. The Seven Kingdoms were constantly fighting, and the endless wars provided plenty of willing recruits to the Watch. The Wall mainly served to protect the North from Wildling raids. In recent centuries, those who were sent to the Wall were mostly ordinary criminals given a last chance to escape execution.

Now that there are no more White Walkers, I guess the Wall and the Watch have served their purpose. Well, in the end the whole setup was ruined by stupid writing before that purpose could be fulfilled (the White Walkers never engaged the wall until they had a dragon, so we never saw how well it could work to defend against them), but at any rate it seems to be pretty much over now. If Sam is indeed Lord Commander, he has got himself a lot of prime estate and a very big staffing problem.

Sam headed back home with Gilly now that he's Lord Tarly, so he won't be Lord Commander of the Night's Watch. The Night's Watch no longer exists. It would serve no purpose. The WW are dead, the Wall has been breached, and the Wildlings were granted permission by Jon to settle in the Gift (the area between the Wall and Last Hearth). 

6 hours ago, Kyll.Ing. said:

I think Sam would like to be the Lord-Curator of the Walluseum.

4 hours ago, Vaughn said:

Stupid to hold out the Others and wildlings who raid the villages and take women as slaves? And who could form an invasion army, as they did in this show?

17 hours ago, Vaughn said:

Big hole in the wall, a threat which is actually pretty easily eliminated if you have the skills and equipment - there's simply no need for it other than to keep the wildings out and they're decimated anyways. 

I would have liked the magic and supernatural things to have meant something. If I want to see a vicious and tyrannical ruler get their just deserts, I'll rewatch 'Gladiator'. 

"Decimated" doesn't mean what you think it means. It means one out of every tenth is killed. Ten, as in decade and decimeter.

"Decimate" came from killing every tenth soldier in a Roman legion that had shown cowardice on the battlefield. Ideally you lined them up on the edge of a cliff and pushed down every tenth soldier.

That's the historical origin of the word, but not the only meaning.  

Definition :

1: to select by lot and kill every tenth man of 

• decimate a regiment

2: to exact a tax of 10 percent from
  • poor as a decimated Cavalier— John Dryden

3a: to reduce drastically especially in number

• cholera decimated the population
  • Kamieniecki's return comes at a crucial time for a pitching staff that has been decimated by injuries.— Jason Diamos
b: to cause great destruction or harm to
  • firebombs decimated the city
  • an industry decimated by recession

Sam the slayer becomes Lord Paramount of the Reach? I still do not understand how he got past the fists of the first men....but him surviving the battle for winterfell was ridiculous. His plot has more armour than all of Sobieski's winged hussars.

I wish we had gotten some discussion about it, and Sam deciding that his vows are fulfilled, and is now lord Sam Tarly.

Tormund decided to go back north of the Wall, because his people need to "roam". I don't think the wildlings were ever a real migratory people prior to Mance uprooting all of them. They had villages, right? Hardhome was a small settlement, not even counting book lore. 

I more wonder what will happen to the Wall itself. With no NW, all that land may be claimed by someone. A bunch of castles there that can be restored, but the Wall will probably deteriorate over time.

Archived