lady narcissa

Mysteries: Cosy, Cats, Capers, Historical, Medical, Procedural and everything in between

I've loved the policiers featuring Bosch as amazon originals.  But I've never read any of the Michael Connelly books from which they have been adapted, and I probably won't for reasons I don't quite know.  it might be because the series is US based in that most USA of locations, LA, and begins (1992) prior to 9/11 changing the US forever, it seems, and not for the better.  9/11 is much a cut off for me for so much of 'before' and 'after.'

Yet, the same could be said of Ann Cleeves's Vera Stanhope novels.  But I love both the print and screen verisons of her Veras and her Shetland novels. Though I discovered Cleeves and Vera quite some time post 9/11 that didn't prevent me avidly reading them as quickly as I could find another one.  So -- go figger!  I don't understand this at all.

I came to a realization in the last couple of years that I'm really into crime fiction, particularly mysteries, and it's not a new thing for me. I have memories of reading some poirot in my early teens and a series called the Three Investigators which I guess is like the Hardy Boys or Nancy Drew but not as well known(?). Rarely see anyone mention it. For the longest time I thought scifi and fantasy was the only thing I was into. I must have blotted those early books from memory for whatever reason. I've been correcting it recently but it doesn't help the TBR pile especially with so many mystery series being multiple books long.

Of the series mentioned here I can wholeheartedly recommend the Gamache series by Louise Penny and the Falco series by Lindsey Davis. I'm multiple books into both series and they are up there with other favourite series in fiction like the Vorkosigan saga. Esteemed company.  Gamache is fantastic. Really atmospheric and evocative with some fantastic characters. It's this mix of cosy atmosphere with obviously much darker undertones. I want to live in Three Pines and I want to be friends with Gamache and co. Likewise the Falco series does for ancient Rome what the Gamache series does for Montreal and its surrounding areas. Really good at transporting you to a different time and place.

I have also read the first book in the Cadfael series and thought that was a strong opening book in the series. I intend to get back to it someday. A recurring problem following all these different series

People were looking for something set in Australia and Peter Temple's books fit the bill. I have only read the first book in his Jack Irish series but that was enough to convince me to get the rest of them. He's an acclaimed writer but not as well known as some think he should be. Sadly passed away in 2018.

Another Australian series worth a try is Arthur Upfield's Bony series. They are set in the mid 20th century and feature the half Aborigine Inspector Napoleon Bonaparte (he was named that by the nuns at the Catholic mission that raised him). He generally investigates crimes in obscure parts of the Outback undercover, and the books give a vivid impression of the country back then.

I think it was made into a TV series also.