Poor children...

Deminelle

By the time they, and their peers, are old enough to understand what her name means, I doubt anyone will still give a shit about Game of Thrones. Maybe the prequels will still be on TV, but Dumbass & Dipshit wont be writing them, so I have hope that they wont be completely awful. 

2 hours ago, Deminelle said:

In USA over 3,500 girls have been given name Daenerys or Khaleesi since 2011.

Poor children to be born to extremely dumb parents. Who on earth names a child after a TV character? And "Khaleesi" is crazy anyway as name. My goodness. The world is degrading. To name a child after a TV show that is not even finished yet, is more than dumb. I will never be able to fathom such idiocy. 

But anyway, it's just a name and we still don't know how it will end. 

Interesting thread, by the way. A new twist to discussions.

8 minutes ago, Euron III Greyjoy said:

By the time they, and their peers, are old enough to understand what her name means, I doubt anyone will still give a shit about Game of Thrones. Maybe the prequels will still be on TV, but Dumbass & Dipshit wont be writing them, so I have hope that they wont be completely awful. 

A Dream of Spring might come out in time for some of their retirement parties.

"Daenerys of House Targaryen, First of Her Name.  Queen of the Andals and the First Men.  Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea.  Murderer of Innocents, and Keen Practiser of Incest."

3 hours ago, Nictarion said:

They probably already hate it anyway that their nerdy parents named them after a character from a fantasy series. 

I think some fantasy names are really cool. I wouldn't mind if someone had named me Achamian or Anomander, regardless of the character and their actions. But I see your point.

I've always thought it was a bit foolish to name one's child after a character in a favorite fantasy story or movie/TV series; unless that name is very close to a more usual name in one's culture/language.  You don't know if your child will even like the story or media presentation for whom he/she is named.  Why not reserve the name "Aragorn" or "Tyrion" or "Khaleesi" or "Arya" for a pet who is not going to care or be teased about it or asked to spell the name, and pick a name, usual or unusual, that at least is consonant with the real world.   

5 minutes ago, Raksha 2014 said:

You don't know if your child will even like the story or media presentation for whom he/she is named.  Why not reserve the name "Aragorn" or "Tyrion" or "Khaleesi" or "Arya" for a pet who is not going to care or be teased about it or asked to spell the name, and pick a name, usual or unusual, that at least is consonant with the real world.   

You don't know if your child will like the name you give it full stop. Doesn't matter if it's a normal name, or if it's derived from some sort of fiction. 

Luckily for those who really hate their name, they can (almost) always change it.
I don't like my own name very much (Thomas), but I've decided to keep it out of respect for my parents...and because it's a hazzle to change. 

Just now, MinscS2 said:

You don't know if your child will like the name you give it full stop. Doesn't matter if it's a normal name, or if it's derived from some sort of fiction. 

Luckily for those who really hate their name, they can (almost) always change it.
I don't like my own name very much (Thomas), but I've decided to keep it out of respect for my parents...and because it's a hazzle to change. 

That's true; but you're probably less likely to be teased in school if your name is Thomas than if it's Tyrion, or get confused looks from adults who have never read or watched Game of Thrones.  

My mother (a school teacher) remembers having an Aragorn in her class in the late 1970s. Honestly, giving your kids a stupid, gimmicky name that they will be stuck with long after you're dead strikes me as really inappropriate.

(There's nothing wrong with Sam, Robert, Catelyn, Sandor, Gregor, or even Arya. Targaryen names on children, rather than pets, is just cruel).

Archived