Poor children...

Deminelle

6 minutes ago, The Marquis de Leech said:

My mother (a school teacher) remembers having an Aragorn in her class in the late 1970s. Honestly, giving your kids a stupid, gimmicky name that they will be stuck with long after you're dead strikes me as really inappropriate.

(There's nothing wrong with Sam, Robert, Catelyn, Sandor, Gregor, or even Arya. Targaryen names on children, rather than pets, is just cruel).

Apparently there has already been a boom in Arya, and Sansa. Arya isn’t too bad as it might have derived from Aria which I believe is Albanian? But I think GRRM have previously said they were pronouncing it wrong in the show, they treated the R as silent, when it’s supposed to be pronounced Aria..... I think anyway....

1 minute ago, Calaryion said:

Apparently there has already been a boom in Arya, and Sansa. Arya isn’t too bad as it might have derived from Aria which I believe is Albanian? But I think GRRM have previously said they were pronouncing it wrong in the show, they treated the R as silent, when it’s supposed to be pronounced Aria..... I think anyway....

I think Sansa is an Indian name.

1 hour ago, The Marquis de Leech said:

My mother (a school teacher) remembers having an Aragorn in her class in the late 1970s. Honestly, giving your kids a stupid, gimmicky name that they will be stuck with long after you're dead strikes me as really inappropriate.

(There's nothing wrong with Sam, Robert, Catelyn, Sandor, Gregor, or even Arya. Targaryen names on children, rather than pets, is just cruel).

Unless it’s something like Daeron or Daemon. 

2 hours ago, The Marquis de Leech said:

Thinking about Targaryen names... Aemon, Daeron, or Maegor strike me as OK, because they're both obscure and relatively non-embarrassing. Rhaegar, Viserys, or Daenerys are out, as is Aerys and Aegon. 

Maegor, I think, is Welsh.

I've always thought that Daenerys is a lovely-sounding name, but it would be a contentious choice, now.

4 hours ago, Calaryion said:

GRRM has said it's pronounced ar-yə, like are ya. The show is correct. See this video at 3 minutes.

9 hours ago, Calaryion said:

Arya is Indian and means "noble goddess". Aria means "lioness" in Hebrew. (She must be a Lannister.)

I always liked the name Asha, which is a real name as well. There are two forms of it: Sanskrit for dream or desire, and Swahili for life. There is also a Hebrew and Aramaic version in Aisha. 

Edit: Sansa is a variety of apple. Apples are the symbol of youth and beauty. 

It's very common for people to name their children after TV/movie characters, literary characters, or historical figures they admire. It doesn't make them stupid (as someone previously claimed). Names are subjective - what I like, others may not like. There have been studies that show unusual names often have a highly positive impact on children. 

When I was pregnant (4 years ago) I read a thread about whether or not you should name kids after ASOIAF characters and most people (book fans) felt not, one of the main reasons being that we don't know how these characters will ultimately turn out.  Good call I think!

On 15 May 2019 at 3:05 AM, The Marquis de Leech said:

Thinking about Targaryen names... Aemon, Daeron, or Maegor strike me as OK, because they're both obscure and relatively non-embarrassing. Rhaegar, Viserys, or Daenerys are out, as is Aerys and Aegon. 

My personal favorite is Aenys. You'd have to be one cruel parent.

I agree these distinctive GOT/ASOIAF names are silly, for humans. youd better believe if I ever live in a climate suitable for a Newfoundland or malamute I'm getting one and naming it Ser Jorah. My bear :)

Archived