Time to rewatch from the beginning

hallam

1 hour ago, hallam said:

<snip>If the best that can be said of Danny is she is somewhat better than a slaver, that isn't saying a lot for her. <snip>

I think "tried like hell to free the slaves and gave them their best chance of freedom in thousands of years and maybe even succeeded" is a little bit better a thing to say of her, and you cannot deny that it is true.

23 hours ago, hallam said:

They have managed to deliver the biggest and most successful TV serial in history. I see absolutely no reason to believe that any of the plot points people keep complaining about are anything other than what GRRM intended.

In fact the one area where I suspect the show has diverged markedly from the books is that I suspect GRRM is leading folk up the garden path with R+L=J in certain respects as well and D&D just decided to cut to the chase because they don't think the prophecies and magic work as well on the screen. Of course Robert's rebellion was fought on a lie but I suspect it was a much more convoluted lie.

Given that the books are way too long and indulgent, many people consider the show to be the strong editor that GRRM never had. The fake Arya plot, the fake Aegon plot, the fake Lightbringer,... The show does a better job of pacing and actually getting on with the story. D&D were working under the constraint that the lead characters were not prepared to carry on for any longer than they have.

Going by your own rules since you've never been on the best seller list and have never delivered a massively successful worldwide literary work I don't think you should be commenting on length and pacing of the novels.

17 hours ago, KingMudd said:

Going by your own rules since you've never been on the best seller list and have never delivered a massively successful worldwide literary work I don't think you should be commenting on length and pacing of the novels.

I am not a fiction author but work I was a lead contributor is vastly more successful than Game of Thrones. You are using it right now in fact. I was a member of the team that developed the Web at CERN.

And I am not the person calling the producers of the show idiots, cretins etc. 

I find most of the comments of that sort to be from the type of people whose main lesson at school was how to build up their social status by dissing others. If you don't like the show, watch something else.

On 5/15/2019 at 7:07 PM, Petitephlox said:

I’m fairly new to this forum - who is fake dany?

It's just a petty insult by people who can't discuss anything without childish and belittling name-calling.

• “You just can't trust Crooked X!”
  • “You just can't trust Fake X!”

Sound familiar?

It should. It deserves our contempt not our attention, let alone our vote of support.

The only way to hurl epithets with wild abandon yet be taken seriously is to make them classy and epic:

1. loud-thundering Zeus, wide-seeing all-father
  2. giant-killing Hermes the keen-eyed emmisary
  3. web-weaving Arachne
  4. self-obsessed Penelope the careful
  5. great-hearted Aeneas 
  6. wind-footed Iris
  7. silver-bowed Apollo, far-aiming and ever-young
  8. sweet-spoken Nestor
  9. ox-eyed Hera 
  10. gift-bearing Greeks
  11. bronze-armored Acheaans of hollow ships
  12. fleet-footed Achilles, god-like and lion-hearted
  13. many-counselled Odysseus, many-troped mastermind
  14. far-seeing Alexandra the unheard prophet
  15. city-sacking Ares the furious
  16. all-powerful Cronus of crooked counsels
  17. silver-footed Thetis
  18. man-slaughtering Hector
  19. flame-haired Menelaus, spear-famed and war-like master of war cries
  20. fair-haired Demeter
  21. laughter-loving Aphrodite the fair
  22. long-dressed Helen
  23. earth-shaking Poseidon
  24. horse-taming Trojans
  25. bright-eyed Athena the tireless
  26. god-like Diomedes, breaker of horses
  27. great-hearted Patroclus the gentle hero
  28. strong-armed Hephaestus
  29. willow-bound Artemis, nurse of youths and patron of beasts
  30. many-historied Alexander

Epic indeed!

55 minutes ago, hallam said:

I am not a fiction author but work I was a lead contributor is vastly more successful than Game of Thrones. You are using it right now in fact. I was a member of the team that developed the Web at CERN.

And I am not the person calling the producers of the show idiots, cretins etc. 

I find most of the comments of that sort to be from the type of people whose main lesson at school was how to build up their social status by dissing others. If you don't like the show, watch something else.

Sorry I couldn't finish your comment, I pretty much turn off when anyone who hasn't written a successful fiction series accuses the person who did of pacing problems and making them too long.

On 5/15/2019 at 10:55 AM, Jabar of House Titan said:

You talk about rewatching as if it's going to make everything all make sense.

Rewatching isn't going to do anything but make you realize how horribly written these last two or three seasons have been in comparison to the first four seasons of the show.

One of the first things you notice is the dialogue and the quality thereof. And then the second thing you'll notice is pacing.

It is ironic that even though as a book Game of Thrones is known for its subtlety, but as a television series it is known for lack of the same.

Martin deliberately layers A Song of Ice and Fire so that when you reread it, you again and again find new connections that you never had never noticed before.  

This is very hard to do, and it takes him a long time.  But subtlety is at least possible in a written medium. Is it possible in a film medium?  Many have argued that it is not. Sure, examples can be found here and there, but if most people won't catch on from watching a film just once, you've lost.

Subtlety will never be a recipe for creating a towering cultural phenomenon, not one that fills corporate coffers with the only thing that matters: pure profit.

Archived