The Bells” sets new ratings record for Game of Thrones

Mordor

The ratings for the penultimate episode of Game of Thrones are in, and they are large. According to Deadline, 12.5 million people watched “The Bells” in real-time. Those are the highest ratings ever for an episode of Game of Thrones. Hell, those are the highest ratings ever for an episode of anything on HBO.

When you factor in the second airing and everyone who watched “The Bells” on HBO Go and HBO Now, viewership numbers balloon to 18.4 million, per Entertainment Weekly. The last couple episodes may have been divisive critically, but the show is more popular than it’s ever been.

https://winteriscoming.net/2019/05/14/the-bells-sets-new-ratings-record-game-of-thrones-hbo/?fbclid=IwAR0WO9XFP6GaGdfFTLuiyRPPp5ZQdGRjYP-rcneRf69PvO16vj-ch6nKK_Q

With this news, I doubt HBO would even care about the backlash against D&D.  In their eyes, D&D has achieved their goals. 

Backlash may be felt in the successor shows, like it did with Star Wars : The Last Jedi/Solo movies. 

Too many people were invested in the story during previous seasons (while the show was good/decent), and in meantime it became cultural phenomenon and not many will miss it, and it would be spoiled in media

Digression, but I found spoiler on my country serious news site about People who complain to show-runners for  fooling them in naming their children Khaleesi.

So finale may also break that record.

My opinion though, is that show will age not like fine wine, but more like roadkill.

3 minutes ago, Eltharion21 said:

Backlash may be felt in the successor shows, like it did with Star Wars : The Last Jedi/Solo movies. 

Too many people were invested in the story during previous seasons (while the show was good/decent), and in meantime it became cultural phenomenon and not many will miss it, and it would be spoiled in media

Digression, but I found spoiler on my country serious news site about People who complain to show-runners for  fooling them in naming their children Khaleesi.

My opinion though, is that show will age not like fine wine, but more like roadkill.

Yeah. Nobody will stop watching in the final season. 

I am curious to know how this affects the prequels... And given that there will be several fantasy shows airing on streaming HBO will face an even harder challenge... 

Personally I would drop the prequels... I Don t remember spin off with success from shows that ended this badly

On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 2:04 AM, divica said:

Yeah. Nobody will stop watching in the final season. 

I am curious to know how this affects the prequels... And given that there will be several fantasy shows airing on streaming HBO will face an even harder challenge... 

Personally I would drop the prequels... I Don t remember spin off with success from shows that ended this badly

Spinoff shows typically do not have that much success regardless.  They are most likely not foolish enough to believe they will churn every potential spinoff into another cultural phenomenon.  The biggest problem they will face is the fans they alienated were the ones most likely to watch the prequels.

On 5/15/2019 at 12:21 AM, Mordor said:

https://winteriscoming.net/2019/05/14/the-bells-sets-new-ratings-record-game-of-thrones-hbo/?fbclid=IwAR0WO9XFP6GaGdfFTLuiyRPPp5ZQdGRjYP-rcneRf69PvO16vj-ch6nKK_Q

With this news, I doubt HBO would even care about the backlash against D&D.  In their eyes, D&D has achieved their goals. 

I agree that it will bite them in whatever they will do in continuation. Most fans don’t care If this was DD or Martin. Eventually I believe that both are going to pay the price. It is even delirious wanting to make a prequel about The others origin and the Great Battle and all these stupidities they literally killed in one episode after they had bombarded us with what kind of threat they were for 8 years. Who fucking cares? They made nothing heroic about it.  

They killed it and most likely their next target audience will be under 15, who care only for the graphics and watch it because it’s available on pirates bay. 

On 5/14/2019 at 5:21 PM, Mordor said:

And this week will set records as well. But like others have said, look at the Solo movie. It did not do well because of the poor plot in The Last Jedi.

It will affect the prequels and I assume their numbers will be low. I wouldn't be surprised if Star War's numbers are low when D&D start working on them.

It may effect the prequels a bit in the beginning, but once people realize the writers aren't D&D and the show is different from GOT, people will give it a chance. Also if critical reviews are good. 

The comparison to Solo is valid, but it's two different things. Nobody asked for a Solo movie without Harrison Ford and that was the main reason why it failed imo. 

5 hours ago, Mordor said:

It may effect the prequels a bit in the beginning, but once people realize the writers aren't D&D and the show is different from GOT, people will give it a chance. Also if critical reviews are good. 

I'll disagree here.

GoT was good to great (depending on episode) for four years, then above average to good for another one or two, then acceptable to above average.  There were questionable decisions coming in here or there, and some outright stupid (Arya's Terminator/Wolverine battle/chase), but it was still enjoyable to watch.  Then in the last season they starting kicking sand in our face and making us feel like idiots for putting any faith at all in them and the show.

I for one won't make the mistake of trusting HBO to handle ANYTHING related to this property in the future.  If the show runner(s) for the prequels/sequels lose interest like D&D did, they clearly won't do a damn thing about it, and I don't care how critically acclaimed a show is if I'm always wondering when the quality turn is coming.

That's the lesson I've learned from this.  And I doubt I'm the only one feeling that way.

On 5/15/2019 at 12:56 AM, Eltharion21 said:

I personally think Game of Thrones built up enough good will throughout it's 8 season long run to warrant the idea that most fans of the show will more than likely check out any spin-off properties to the show. Of course the spin-off shows will need to be successful in their own rights because the good will from the majority of Game of Thrones wont carry the show, just give it an initial audience.

On 5/16/2019 at 7:30 AM, Xemi said:

Who the fuck is gonna watch a prequel about the Long Night after how they handled the WW plot? :lol:

Can't say I have any plans to be watching this show opening day. Maybe I'll change my mind, but I'll probably let the first season or so play out before I decide on giving it a chance or not. 

Archived