[SPOILERS] Another theory about what just happened

greenseen

Thanks for accepting me into the forum!

Read further if you want another theory of what just happened during the latest episode. This builds upon other theories that have been laid out before by others. Signed up just to vent this, hope that’s fine:

Dany is not the villain. Bran is.

Bran aka the Three Eyed Raven aka R’hllor aka Lord of Light was the one who sacked King’s Landing as he warged into Dany.

We didn’t see Dany’s eyes/expression/body language up close after the bells rang and Drogon took off, right?

Bran’s vision of the dragon’s shadow over King’s Landing in S04E02 was from first person perspective.

As seen before in the series/can be read in the books, the power of Lord of Light is upheld (or at least strengthened) by human sacrifice. By fire, that is. In fact, I hypothesize that the Three Eyed Raven has pursued the strategy of burning King’s Landing before, thus gaining massive power, during one of his many warging sessions into Aerys II (which drove the Mad King to become, well... mad). However, Jamie stopped that attempt. By the way, the Mad King preferred a rather specific method of executing traitors, murders and plotters... namely fire. He was also overly fascinated with fire (and wildfire), like all people influenced by the Lord of Light.

Further, I think The Three Eyed Raven has warged into more Targaryen’s throughout history, which makes them unreliable like the toss of a coin, for instance the Bright Prince who drank Wildfire. That kind of king’s blood most have yielded quite some power for the Lord of Light.

My theory boils down to that Bran’s reason to resort to this kind of violence (through fire) is to uphold the power of the Three Eyed Raven/Lord of Light/himself. Maybe it’s even required for his survival? Flames can go out if you don’t feed the fire. Somehow, he sees this violence as motivated.

I wonder if the Night King, still has some tricks left to even out the odds? Or is he truly not in play anymore?

All in all, everybody can relax regarding Dany. She is not the super villain after all. Bran is, though I am sure that emotionless boy does not see it that way.

Posted this as a comment on Reddit as well, but it got lost in the chaos.

Just a theory.

4 hours ago, greenseen said:

Read further if you want another theory of what just happened during the latest episode. This builds upon other theories that have been laid out before by others. Signed up just to vent this, hope that’s fine:

Bran aka the Three Eyed Raven aka R’hllor aka Lord of Light was the one who sacked King’s Landing as he warged into Dany.

We didn’t see Dany’s eyes/expression/body language up close after the bells rang and Drogon took off, right?

Bran’s vision of the dragon’s shadow over King’s Landing in S04E02 was from first person perspective.

As seen before in the series/can be read in the books, the power of Lord of Light is upheld (or at least strengthened) by human sacrifice. By fire, that is. In fact, I hypothesize that the Three Eyed Raven has pursued the strategy of burning King’s Landing before, thus gaining massive power, during one of his many warging sessions into Aerys II (which drove the Mad King to become, well... mad). However, Jamie stopped that attempt. By the way, the Mad King preferred a rather specific method of executing traitors, murders and plotters... namely fire. He was also overly fascinated with fire (and wildfire), like all people influenced by the Lord of Light.

Further, I think The Three Eyed Raven has warged into more Targaryen’s throughout history, which makes them unreliable like the toss of a coin, for instance the Bright Prince who drank Wildfire. That kind of king’s blood most have yielded quite some power for the Lord of Light.

My theory boils down to that Bran’s reason to resort to this kind of violence (through fire) is to uphold the power of the Three Eyed Raven/Lord of Light/himself. Maybe it’s even required for his survival? Flames can go out if you don’t feed the fire. Somehow, he sees this violence as motivated.

I wonder if the Night King, still has some tricks left to even out the odds? Or is he truly not in play anymore?

All in all, everybody can relax regarding Dany. She is not the super villain after all. Bran is, though I am sure that emotionless boy does not see it that way.

Just a theory.

I admire you trying to make excuses for this shitshow until the bitter end, but the leaks, which have been mostly accurate all the way through, indicate otherwise. This show has finally tipped its hand and revealed itself as something I've known since Season 5:

Incompetent.

There is no grand explanation, there are no fill-ins for the countless plot holes, there's no plot twists to justify each and every character-assassinating, continuity disregarding moment. When D&D themselves excuse inexplicable plot-demanded blindness with 'While Dany kind of forgot about the Iron Fleet', it's clear what's really going on; they're just bad writers.

You're just one devoted, well-intentioned person of many acting as an apologist for hacks who don't deserve your loyalty. It was like this all the way in Season 3, when Talisa was totes a secret Lannister honeypot and it'd all pay off, it continued in Season 5 and 6, when Doran Martell was totes going to start his master plan, again in Season 6 when the idiot Arya that smirked around Braavos waiting to get stabbed was totes a decoy, and it remains that way in Season 8, when Jaime was totes going to King's Landing to kill Cersei.

Sorry, mate. You seem like a nice, thoughtful person. Don't give D&D the same credit, because they are both mean-spirited and apathetic.

Another thing that may or may not support your theory is the fact that the preview for next episode shows nothing. We haven't seen her face since she took off after the bells rang.

How would you explain her facial expressions during the bell scene though? Didn't seem like someone was controlling her or Drogon to be honest..

17 minutes ago, Beardy the Wildling said:

I admire you trying to make excuses for this shitshow until the bitter end, but the leaks, which have been mostly accurate all the way through, indicate otherwise. This show has finally tipped its hand and revealed itself as something I've known since Season 5:

Incompetent.

There is no grand explanation, there are no fill-ins for the countless plot holes, there's no plot twists to justify each and every character-assassinating, continuity disregarding moment. When D&D themselves excuse inexplicable plot-demanded blindness with 'While Dany kind of forgot about the Iron Fleet', it's clear what's really going on; they're just bad writers.

You're just one devoted, well-intentioned person of many acting as an apologist for hacks who don't deserve your loyalty. It was like this all the way in Season 3, when Talisa was totes a secret Lannister honeypot and it'd all pay off, it continued in Season 5 and 6, when Doran Martell was totes going to start his master plan, and it remains that way in Season 8, when Jaime was totes going to King's Landing to kill Cersei.

Sorry, mate. You seem like a nice, thoughtful person. Don't give D&D the same credit, because they are both mean-spirited and apathetic.

This. So many times throughout the seasons, we've seen fans making theories. "Arya can't be that stupid, letting herself be found and stabbed like that!" "Talisa is not Jeyne, there must be a good reason!" "The Sand Snakes will be significant!"

But when have they ever been correct? I can't think of a single instance where there was anything deeper beyond seemingly dumb decisions made on screen. Have there ever been ruses, ever been more than what's put plainly in front of the camera?

I think that's why this season gets such incredible backlash that the previous season didn't. It's not that the quality of the episodes themselves are worse, it's that the hopes of there being anything more than the blatant and stupid are being quashed as we get closer to the end.

3 minutes ago, Kyll.Ing. said:

I think that's why this season gets such incredible backlash that the previous season didn't. It's not that the quality of the episodes themselves are worse, it's that the hopes of there being anything more than the blatant and stupid are being quashed as we get closer to the end.

They have 80 minutes left to get any plot twists that upend the entire story's plotholes and wrap the story up, and while most honeypotters have laid down their swords, some, like this poor soul, remain desperate for decent quality until the end. I feel bad for them, I truly do.

@greenseen I love your theory and you're not the only one wondering whether we've seen all of Bran. He truly seems to have more space for development (I am also convinced that wargedBran sent for the Night King in the Long Night)

But, as @Beardy the Wildling says above, I'm afraid we've become so disillusioned with this show that defys not only logic, but it contradicts itself and its own bloody script, that any thoughtful attempt at providing an explanation to the mess seems not plausible... simply because the creators of the show sacrificed the logic of a storyline in favor of dumb spectacular twists.

It's hard to make predictions when the scrips show you something that is contradicted the next season, or even the following episode, and you hear: "Dany has forgotten the Iron Fleet"; "Euron wasn't paying attention" or Jaime doesn't "really care of the innocent people of Kings Landings". And you see Starbuck cups left on a table and a new hand grown within 30 minutes.

I gave up after Ep.3 this season, and I think I still resisted a lot.

18 minutes ago, Ranger Kragin said:

And you see Starbuck cups left on a table and a new hand grown within 30 minutes.

I'm not sure how the Starbucks cup hasn't completely massacred any goodwill people may have for the show. Like I get it, maybe a fan doesn't watch Inside the Circlejerk and therefore hasn't been exposed to D&D's mind-numbingly idiotic 'explanations' for the show, and so has fun with theorising for explanations of the unknown/inconsistent.

But the Starbucks cup says everything that needs to be said: They just don't care.

2 hours ago, Beardy the Wildling said:

Incompetent.

You're just one devoted, well-intentioned person of many acting as an apologist for hacks who don't deserve your loyalty. It was like this all the way in Season 3, when Talisa was totes a secret Lannister honeypot and it'd all pay off, it continued in Season 5 and 6, when Doran Martell was totes going to start his master plan, again in Season 6 when the idiot Arya that smirked around Braavos waiting to get stabbed was totes a decoy, and it remains that way in Season 8, when Jaime was totes going to King's Landing to kill Cersei.

Thanks for your reply!

I am the first to admit that I really want another endgame + a major twist to happen in the last episode. And that I have not yet accepted that this was GRRM plan for Dany (and I am not even that big of a fan of her). The Lord of Light and the Three Eyed Raven on the other hand... well there are too many loose ends left.

5 minutes ago, greenseen said:

Thanks for your reply!

I am the first to admit that I really want another endgame + a major twist to happen in the last episode. And that I have not yet accepted that this was GRRM plan for Dany (and I am not even that big of a fan of her). The Lord of Light and the Three Eyed Raven on the other hand... well there are too many loose ends left.

I think a mad Dany could work in the books, given by the end of ADWD, she's deliriously dreaming in the Dothraki Sea suffering from dysentery after hard-ragequitting Meereen. She's actually suffering a little sanity-wise, so given time and commitment to such an arc, it could work.

The problem with Show-Dany is there hasn't been any indication she'd mass-torch innocents after their associated city has surrendered. She's ruthless, yes, but not illogically insane.

2 hours ago, DungPieOnGapingDragon said:

Another thing that may or may not support your theory is the fact that the preview for next episode shows nothing. We haven't seen her face since she took off after the bells rang.

How would you explain her facial expressions during the bell scene though? Didn't seem like someone was controlling her or Drogon to be honest..

Thanks for replying! But we only saw her face moments before the fire-sacking began, right? Throughout the series, when Dany+Drogon have made her their Dracarys act, the directors have made sure to have her stern face on camera. Not this time, though it probably would have been the most epic yet horrifying Dracarys of them all. I don’t think they just missed this opportunity. I think it must have been intentional.

10 minutes ago, Beardy the Wildling said:

I think a mad Dany could work in the books, given by the end of ADWD, she's deliriously dreaming in the Dothraki Sea suffering from dysentery after hard-ragequitting Meereen. She's actually suffering a little sanity-wise, so given time and commitment to such an arc, it could work.

The problem with Show-Dany is there hasn't been any indication she'd mass-torch innocents after their associated city has surrendered. She's ruthless, yes, but not illogically insane.

Book-Dany definitely have some mental issues, but so far I still find this kind of route for her far fetched. Just my personal opinion.

Exactly, you are totally right! That’s why I feel it might actually be the case that these actions were not hers.

Consider this - if Bran was not in the story:

The result is a little shocking:

- Bloodraven would still be alive and the Childrens' cave wouldn't have been overrun by the Army of the Dead

- The relationship between Jon and Dany wouldn't have broken down since Jon wouldn't have learned he is related to Dany

- Jon and Dany would likely have married and the realm would be united

- Varys wouldn't have been forced to go rogue

- Dany wouldn't have snapped

- half a million inhabitants of King's Landing would have survived

Turns out Bran isn't a positive factor in the story after all. His role is to mess everything up.

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Greenseen, I had formulated the same general theory as you, but you have fleshed it out better than I did.

I really, really hope that the theory is right. It is the only thing that can save Game of Thrones for me now. I was able to overlook all the show's other missteps, but Daenerys torching King's Landing was too much for me. I can go so far as to see Daenerys liquidating the political elite of King's Landing and their soldiers. But burning the innocent children? That's utterly out of character.

But if Bran did it through Daenerys's body? Then it all makes sense again. The entire 8-year show wasn't for nothing.

Somebody above asked, "How would you explain her facial expressions during the bell scene though?" I would answer: Daenerys was wrestling with herself as to whether she should A) go torch Cersei right now, or B ) have her men capture her and give her a brief trial before torching her. In her anger, she decided to go torch Cersei immediately, and she flew off towards the Red Keep to do it. Then, and only then, did Bran finally warg into her while Daenerys's face was off-camera.

For this to be so, I pray to the gods, the old and the new.

I'm pretty sure Dany's facial expressions were the director's attempt to show she was now "mad queen".  They telegraphed that they wanted to go this way with Varys storyline this season, even though Dany hasn't had any symptoms of insanity.  Cruel and ruthless to enemies?  Sure.  So was Tywin, who actively ordered the Mountain to rape, pillage and enslave the commoners in the Riverlands, and planned the Red Wedding, among other ruthless acts.  Nobody thought he was going insane though.

Reddit is a hot zone right now, be careful. If this episode happened with like 3 or 4 more, I would say that your idea is possible. Not plausible but possible (in my mind). The problem is the lack of time left. This show for a couple of seasons now hasn't been very subtle in what it was trying to do, and we (including me) tried to think that there was something greater and even better just right around the corner. They keep hinting at Jon and Dany creating a line of succession because she secretly got pregnant, right!?!?!

But sadly, Dany is what she is for whatever reason. Hopefully they at least explain why she snapped exactly. Though, we still don't know the full backstory of the WW soooo that's doubtful.

It could also have been possible that all she was doing while torching the city was screaming "Drogon, stop! Bad dragon! Baaaaad dragon! Stop the fire! Anti-Dracarys! Get me oooooofffff!"

But the next episode's preview shows her smiling triumphantly among the smoking ruins, so it kinda removes all doubt about whether the mass murder was intentional.

8 hours ago, greenseen said:

Just a theory.

I like this idea. It's better than what we'll actually get. 

Archived