Wow, I never noticed that. Vol. 18

Seams

3 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

And Rorge and Biter, and the faceless man that paid Arya's debt to the red god were caged. 

And also the Huntsman's captives at Stoney Sept were crammed into crow cages.... they're everywhere once you start looking :)

4 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

And Rorge and Biter, and the faceless man that paid Arya's debt to the red god were caged. 

Killed by Brienne, a maid(en), and Gendry, a smith.

Too much?

And also the Huntsman's captives at Stoney Sept were crammed into crow cages.... they're everywhere once you start looking :)

Given a cup of water by Arya before Anguy put an arrow in them.

In the HoBaW, there's the pool the people who come for the gift of death drink from. She fills a cup for a man because she thought he was thirsty.

12 minutes ago, Alexis-something-Rose said:

Given a cup of water by Arya before Anguy put an arrow in them.

In the HoBaW, there's the pool the people who come for the gift of death drink from. She fills a cup for a man because she thought he was thirsty.

Oh, yes... good catch. And is there something in the Hound narrowly missing going into the cage at Stoney Sept, I wonder?

23 minutes ago, Rufus Snow said:

Oh, yes... good catch. And is there something in the Hound narrowly missing going into the cage at Stoney Sept, I wonder?

I don't know if there is, but she refuses to give him the gift. She does everything that he asks her after he is wounded at that fight with Polliver and the Tickler, but when he asks her for the gift of mercy, she says no.

So maybe there's going to be something in the future that will parallel that moment, when she will say no to the Faceless Men. Maybe it's foreshadowing?

12 hours ago, Alexis-something-Rose said:

That was the Mystery Knight and the septon was beheaded. The Sworn Sword has dead men in crow's cages, but we don't know who they are or what they did.

I think they are metaphors for the Targ / Blackfyre conflict, with one trying to eat the other but both dying and having their eyes eaten by crows. The Webber / Osgrey conflict is also part of this larger conflict. 

I wonder whether the cage is a symbolic egg of some kind, preparing for a rebirth?

15 hours ago, Alexis-something-Rose said:

That was the Mystery Knight and the septon was beheaded. The Sworn Sword has dead men in crow's cages, but we don't know who they are or what they did.

Ah, yes, you're right. I guess the beheaded septon was not stuck in a crow's cage then? 

In Rhaenyra Triumphant, Fire and Blood, Nettles feeds Sheepstealer a black ram, slitting the throat herself, so that her riding leathers become stained with blood when she mounted her dragon. 

There is a lot of potential symbolism here. First note the colors involved: black, red, and brown, suggesting that the little brown girl on the brown dragon does have a drop of dragonblood. Also, the ram is a symbol of virility, suggesting that Mysaria told it true in that Nettles was pregnant with Daemon's child. And we know that the George knows his Shakespeare, and we recall that the black ram was tupping the white ewe in Othello, suggesting that Daemon was indeed sleeping with Nettles. Finally, recall there was some discussion about whether Nettles was a maiden before flying off with Daemon. That discussion seemed a bit extraneous, but with this phrase, "Her riding leathers were stained with blood when she mounted her dragon," the author suggests that Nettles was a maiden when she came to Daemon's bed. 

On 5/15/2019 at 9:45 PM, Hugorfonics said:

"Thank  you, my lord of Lannister." He pulled off his glove and offered his bare hand. "Friend."

Tyrion found himself oddly touched. "Most of my kin are bastards," he said with a wry smile, "but you're the first I've had to friend." He pulled a glove off with his teeth and clasped Snow by the hand, flesh against flesh.

Is that Tyrion low key telling Jon about Cersei and Jaimes kids? Or does he know something about Cersei and Jaimes father?

He’s talking about others dwarves, it’s a call back to an earlier conversation the two of them had:

”What do you know of being a bastard?”

”All dwarfs are bastards in their father's eyes.”

"How  many men did you lose?" Theon asked Red Helm as he dismounted.

"Twenty or thirty." The torchlight glittered off the chipped enamel of his visor. His helm and gorget were wrought in the shape of a man's face and shoulders, skinless and bloody, mouth open in a silent howl of anguish.

"Ser Rodrik had you five-to-one."

"Aye, but he thought us friends. A common mistake. When the old fool gave me his hand, I too k half his arm instead. Then I let him see my face."

Is Ramsay talking about Theon?

He’s talking about everyone: Rodrik, Theon, Reek I, the Bastard’s Boy who was injured during the Manderly-Frey melee at Winterfell. Anyone who thinks Ramsay is a friend will be shown to have been mistaken, and probably in pretty short order. 

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Have any of y'all seen a thread arguing that the Clubfoot was a seed or somehow descended from a Targaryen? He appears to have know the Red Keep's secrets, and a legend suggests that his foot was stolen and sold to a sorcerer. 

I have not seen such a thread.

I have not yet read Fire & Blood but I am very interested in the motif of the severed foot. It's an important symbol in Dunk & Egg, when Dunk sells his horse, Sweetfoot, in order to buy armor. (He promises he will come back for her, but he hasn't mentioned her in the subsequent stories.) Dunk also ponders whether he should have allowed Brightflame to cut off his foot instead of setting in motion the Trial of Seven that led to the death of Prince Baelor.

Every time someone mentions "two feet of rope" or "he climbed to his feet," I know GRRM is dropping a hint about something. I just don't know yet what he is telling us.

11 hours ago, Seams said:

I have not seen such a thread.

I have not yet read Fire & Blood but I am very interested in the motif of the severed foot. It's an important symbol in Dunk & Egg, when Dunk sells his horse, Sweetfoot, in order to buy armor. (He promises he will come back for her, but he hasn't mentioned her in the subsequent stories.) Dunk also ponders whether he should have allowed Brightflame to cut off his foot instead of setting in motion the Trial of Seven that led to the death of Prince Baelor.

Every time someone mentions "two feet of rope" or "he climbed to his feet," I know GRRM is dropping a hint about something. I just don't know yet what he is telling us.

Since you're interested in the theme, you should know that the George draws attention to the foot. When Cregan is about to lop off his head, Larys requests that Cregan lop off his clubfoot as a boon, which Cregan agrees to do. Cregan sends Larys's body back to Harrenhal, but commands to have the foot buried near King's Landing, whereupon it is stolen and rumored to be sold to a sorcerer. Another leg is also rumored to be sold to a sorcerer at the same time, the leg of an unquestioned Targaryen, a seed or a prince, I forget which. 

On 10/10/2019 at 8:52 PM, Lost Melnibonean said:

In Rhaenyra Triumphant, Fire and Blood, Nettles feeds Sheepstealer a black ram, slitting the throat herself, so that her riding leathers become stained with blood when she mounted her dragon. 

There is a lot of potential symbolism here. First note the colors involved: black, red, and brown, suggesting that the little brown girl on the brown dragon does have a drop of dragonblood. Also, the ram is a symbol of virility, suggesting that Mysaria told it true in that Nettles was pregnant with Daemon's child. And we know that the George knows his Shakespeare, and we recall that the black ram was tupping the white ewe in Othello, suggesting that Daemon was indeed sleeping with Nettles. Finally, recall there was some discussion about whether Nettles was a maiden before flying off with Daemon. That discussion seemed a bit extraneous, but with this phrase, "Her riding leathers were stained with blood when she mounted her dragon," the author suggests that Nettles was a maiden when she came to Daemon's bed. 

My head is spinning, that's a post toplam make one go wow. 

I think the Doom of Valyria was a flood, now hear me out, in Qur'an, God warns Noah that the sign of flood is a volcanic eruption, when it happens they have to embark the ark. I think sending a giant flood to a nation related to fire makes sense to me. 

I also learned seahorses are called dragon's bastard child in Japanese, and Velaryon's are Valyrians with seahorse sigil, were their founder a bastard? Ironic they call themselves as the True. Maybe they are actually tied to Doom of Valyria? Bastard of Noah's wife died during the flood. 

Is this something that happens often, or is one just regurgitating another story?

Illyrio and Serra

"A maiden? I know the way of that." Illyrio thrust his right hand up his left sleeve and drew out a silver locket. Inside was a painted likeness of a woman with big blue eyes and pale golden hair streaked by silver. "Serra. I found her in a Lysene pillow house and brought her home to warm my bed, but in end I wed her. Me, whose first wife had been a cousin of the Prince of Pentos. The palace gates were closed to me thereafter, but I did not care. The price was small enough, for Serra." (Tyrion II, ADwD 5)

Vogarro and Widow of the Waterfront

"An elephant, seven times a triarch, very rich, a power on the docks. Whilst other men built the ships and sailed them, he built piers and storehouses, brokered cargoes, changed money, insured ship owners against the hazards of the sea. He dealt in slaves as well. When he grew besotted with one of them, a bedslave trained at Yunkai in the way of seven sighs, it was a great scandal . . . and a greater scandal when he freed her and took her for his wife. After he died, she carried on his ventures. [snip] (67-Tyrion VII, ADwD 27)

Illyrio would know this story.

There's also a possible bit of a symbolic connection between Serra and the Widow, their hands. 

"A Braavosi galley called at Pentos on her way back from the Jade Sea. The Treasure carried cloves and saffron, jet and jade, scarlet samite, green silk . . . and the grey death. We slew her oarsmen as they came ashore and burned the ship at anchor, but the rats crept down the oars and paddled to the quay on cold stone feet. The plague took two thousand before it ran its course." Magister Illyrio closed the locked. "I keep her hands in my bedchamber. Her hands that were so soft . . . " (Tyrion II, ADwD 5)

And the Widow

"Gloves for my poor old wrinkled hands. How nice." The widow made no move to touch them. (Tyrion II, ADwD 5)

19 hours ago, Alexis-something-Rose said:

Is this something that happens often, or is one just regurgitating another story?

Illyrio and Serra

"A maiden? I know the way of that." Illyrio thrust his right hand up his left sleeve and drew out a silver locket. Inside was a painted likeness of a woman with big blue eyes and pale golden hair streaked by silver. "Serra. I found her in a Lysene pillow house and brought her home to warm my bed, but in end I wed her. Me, whose first wife had been a cousin of the Prince of Pentos. The palace gates were closed to me thereafter, but I did not care. The price was small enough, for Serra." (Tyrion II, ADwD 5)

Vogarro and Widow of the Waterfront

"An elephant, seven times a triarch, very rich, a power on the docks. Whilst other men built the ships and sailed them, he built piers and storehouses, brokered cargoes, changed money, insured ship owners against the hazards of the sea. He dealt in slaves as well. When he grew besotted with one of them, a bedslave trained at Yunkai in the way of seven sighs, it was a great scandal . . . and a greater scandal when he freed her and took her for his wife. After he died, she carried on his ventures. [snip] (67-Tyrion VII, ADwD 27)

Illyrio would know this story.

There's also a possible bit of a symbolic connection between Serra and the Widow, their hands. 

"A Braavosi galley called at Pentos on her way back from the Jade Sea. The Treasure carried cloves and saffron, jet and jade, scarlet samite, green silk . . . and the grey death. We slew her oarsmen as they came ashore and burned the ship at anchor, but the rats crept down the oars and paddled to the quay on cold stone feet. The plague took two thousand before it ran its course." Magister Illyrio closed the locked. "I keep her hands in my bedchamber. Her hands that were so soft . . . " (Tyrion II, ADwD 5)

And the Widow

"Gloves for my poor old wrinkled hands. How nice." The widow made no move to touch them. (Tyrion II, ADwD 5)

Oh wow, I never noticed the similarities. Thanks for pointing them out. 

1 hour ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Oh wow, I never noticed the similarities. Thanks for pointing them out. 

Funny thing about this, Tyrion thinks he sees Illyrio for a split second, but it was a white dwarf elephant instead. This happens before Jorah tells Tyrion about the Widow.

Vogarro was an elephant. 

I think there's a connect here.

12 minutes ago, Alexis-something-Rose said:

Funny thing about this, Tyrion thinks he sees Illyrio for a split second, but it was a white dwarf elephant instead. This happens before Jorah tells Tyrion about the Widow.

Vogarro was an elephant. 

I think there's a connect here.

Yes... But what is the significance? Hmm...

27 minutes ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

Yes... But what is the significance? Hmm...

What if it's a hint at Illyrio's true origins? We get a ton of exposition on Volantis about the tigers and elephants. And it's not the first time Tyrion equates Illyrio to an elephant. He does it as early as Tyrion II.

Our lord of cheese is the size of an elephant, but he has a bladder like a peanut. (Tyrion II, ADwD 5)

Furthermore, Illyrio is trying to interfere in the politics of Volantis by greasing the paw of Nyessos, an elephant who is up for reelection, so that he doesn't march against Dany with Yunkai.

Archived