Will we ever see the original pilot?

Panos Targaryen

As the show is ending, do you think it would make sense for HBO to release the original, unaired pilot? Is there precedent for a network doing this in a similar situation?

Primarily, I really want to see Tamzin Merchant's Daenerys. From what I hear, she was GRRM's choice, and appearance-wise I think she would have been perfect as Daenerys. Emilia Clarke was decent, but not the ultimate realization of Daenerys as I pictured her, appearance or behaviour-wise, though she was close in the 1st season, and her acting was lacking in some areas. Also, the wig just doesn't work for me, it never looked natural after season 1 imo. Will this happen someday? Could it leak somehow?

I would surely love to watch it.

As I understand it, it would be very unusual for an unaired discarded pilot to be released. I can think of a few of cases, though (The Big Bang Theory is the most recent that comes to mind). And it would surely grab a lot of interest if it was offered as an extra in some future deluxe release, even in its current unfinished format, without effects and roughly edited.

Archived