Nikolaj on working with D&D

Coffeewiththegods

7 minutes ago, Apoplexy said:

This occurred to me when Enron said he fucked the queen and Jaime didn't seem to care at all. If he hadn't somehow heard about the walk of shame, this shouldve been the first time he heard about Cersei's infidelity.

Maybe I'm biased, but I really feel like NCW was walking through the motions during most of the episode, and no one on the crew bothered either. That's what happens when your character is so badly written that you have no way of understanding what they're going through, and thus can't act accordingly.

1 hour ago, legba11 said:

Of course no one in KL talked to Jaime about the walk of shame.  Just like the half of Stannis's army that deserted him never said a word to Davos about Shyreen...  D&D write whatever it takes to get the scene they want.  Sense and character have no bearing on it.

And, there's our answer. 

45 minutes ago, HairGrowsBack said:

Maybe I'm biased, but I really feel like NCW was walking through the motions during most of the episode, and no one on the crew bothered either. That's what happens when your character is so badly written that you have no way of understanding what they're going through, and thus can't act accordingly.

It's possible NCW did indeed try to walk through the motions. I was just yelling 'no no no' every time he said anything this episode that I didn't notice.

2 minutes ago, Apoplexy said:

It's possible NCW did indeed try to walk through the motions. I was just yelling 'no no no' every time he said anything this episode that I didn't notice.

The cringe levels were insanely high :ack:

48 minutes ago, HairGrowsBack said:

I think at this point, Nik was acting that it was passed the point of worrying about who fucked whom, honestly.  Then again, I don't buy this exact scenario as Jaime or Cersei's end, but that's me.  I do think Nik did his best to give it his best.  The guy obviously knew the real Jaime from the books, and he knew when he was asked to tamper with that as well. 

UGH UGH UGH... I hate what the show has done to all the characters, all, no exception. But w/ some it hurts more than others, and what they’ve done to Jaime is the one that hurts the most. And the pain in on two fronts: what they’ve done to the character, and the fact that they had NCW, who is so perfect for the role. Fucking hacks. :crying:

It's always ungraceful to speak ill of your coworkers. There must be a reason for the actors to start complaining all of a sudden. Maybe there was some sort of conflict between cast and producers during or after the making of the season.

7 minutes ago, Saturno said:

It's always ungraceful to speak ill of your coworkers. There must be a reason for the actors to start complaining all of a sudden. Maybe there was some sort of conflict between cast and producers during or after the making of the season.

There were comments before, way before. All very polite and all, but it’s there for anyone to see. Gwen made comments about how the actors were discouraged from reading the books, and Iain Glen saying the Ds eyes would “glaze over” whenever any of the actors mentioned the books. That’s just to bring up two examples off the top of my head, and both from years ago. 

5 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

There were comments before, way before. All very polite and all, but it’s there for anyone to see. Gwen made comments about how the actors were discouraged from reading the books, and Iain Glen saying the Ds eyes would “glaze over” whenever any of the actors mentioned the books. That’s just to bring up two examples off the top of my head, and both from years ago. 

Yes I remember those, and they were fine, at least were expressed by enthusiasm (as if the ridiculous notion of not pursuing the original material was an option to be proud of) but the criticism the cast has been spilling for this specific season is harsher and harder to sell with straight faces. Dinklage, Kit, Conleth and Emilia didn't lookat ease while talking about these issues.

14 minutes ago, Saturno said:

People aren t stupid. I don t think anybody was happy when they read the scripts for this season… If D&D were trying to ruin the show they wouldn t do things much diferently than they did this season...

I think it is normal for the actors to be angry that they spent 8 years of their life on the show and had to do an awful eight season for reasons nobody understands...

Well, I hate D&D... but it is very unprofessional for the actors to make these comments while the show is on. And I actually agree with their criticisms! But, c'mon, that's very unpolite. Despite all the horrible writing it was because of the show that these actors became famous around the world and filthy rich, they should show some gratitude. Even if there was some bad blood. Look to the actor of Barristan Selmy... he was cut out of production and remained silent for a considerable time, being quite stoic on his first interviews and only openly criticising the show years later. I think that's proper.

3 minutes ago, Saturno said:

Well, I hate D&D... but it is very unprofessional for the actors to make these comments while the show is on.

Why? We weren’t there, we don’t know how these convos between any given actor and the show runners went down. So, we can’t really say anything.

I actually think the actors are showing incredible restraint when commenting. 

David and Dan may be wonderful people, but as writers they suck very hard. They’re also arrogant and think they can do no wrong. 

Can you imagine what it must have been like for the actors and all the rest of the crew? To give blood, sweat, and tears, and all for NOTHING? Just “let’s get some shocking twists, and we’re gold”. And honestly, for the actors it must have been so much worse than the rest of the crew... To be kept totally in the dark about your character, to be discouraged from trying to dig deeper into your character, because the show runners didn’t want anyone comparing this PIECE OF FLAMMING SHIT to the books. YIKES. 

And I actually agree with their criticisms! But, c'mon, that's very unpolite.

I disagree. See above.

Despite all the horrible writing it was because of the show that these actors became famous around the world and filthy rich, they should show some gratitude.

That may be true for the noobs like Sophie Turner, Maisie Williams, etc. But it’s definitely not true for all of them. And gratitude? What? Why? It seems the show runners were yanking their chains for YEARS. I hope they all speak up, as loudly as they can. 

Even if there was some bad blood. Look to the actor of Barristan Selmy... he was cut out of production and remained silent for a considerable time, being quite stoic on his first interviews and only openly criticising the show years later. I think that's proper.

This is simply incorrect. Ian McElhinney, always a gentleman, was very vocal and clear about the way he was told Barristan was getting killed, and how he tried to argue against the (stupid AF) idea w/ David and Dan, and how David and Dan were totally dismissive and proper arseholes about the whole thing - the arseholery is me, not McElhinney. And all that he said while series 5 was still on.  

Interesting ...

NCW does know the books; he made a video about Jaime's character some time ago (after season 7, I think). There were hints thast he might disagree w/ the way he was written there as well.

I suspect we'll be getting a lot more of this shortly.

Here is the Stephen Dillane (Stannis) quote. “I’ve flicked [the show] on [since leaving] to see if I could figure out what was going on, but I couldn’t,” he reportedly said. “Liam Cunningham [who plays Ser Davos Seaworth, Stannis’ right-hand man] is so passionate about the show. He invests in it in a way I think is quite moving, but it wasn’t my experience. I was entirely dependent on Liam to tell me what the scenes were about — I didn’t know what I was doing until we’d finished filming and it was too late. The damage had been done. I thought no one would believe in me and I was rather disheartened by the end. I felt I’d built the castle on non-existent foundations.”

1 minute ago, legba11 said:

Here is the Stephen Dillane (Stannis) quote. “I’ve flicked [the show] on [since leaving] to see if I could figure out what was going on, but I couldn’t,” he reportedly said. “Liam Cunningham [who plays Ser Davos Seaworth, Stannis’ right-hand man] is so passionate about the show. He invests in it in a way I think is quite moving, but it wasn’t my experience. I was entirely dependent on Liam to tell me what the scenes were about — I didn’t know what I was doing until we’d finished filming and it was too late. The damage had been done. I thought no one would believe in me and I was rather disheartened by the end. I felt I’d built the castle on non-existent foundations.”

There’s another good interview w/ Dillane, from shortly after Stannis had been killed off. He basically said he had no idea what or who the character was, and that when he asked David and Dan, all they said was something along the lines of, “oh, he’s a battle commander and he’s won a few battles”. Awesome, innit. 

1 hour ago, Count Balerion said:

Interesting ...

NCW does know the books; he made a video about Jaime's character some time ago (after season 7, I think). There were hints thast he might disagree w/ the way he was written there as well.

I suspect we'll be getting a lot more of this shortly.

Out of curiosity, have you seen the video above the one linked in the thread. NCW outright says he wasn't happy with the scripts. Do we know when that interview happenned?

I don't think it's that fair to criticize the actors for voicing some (very tame) opinions they had with the way their characters were written.  The show being a success (and their successful careers) doesn't just ride on D&D handing it to them.  It's a collaborative effort; they owe each other.  People love the show partially because they love the characters and care about them, and a lot of that speaks to the effort put in by the actors.

Besides that, what are they supposed to say if they are asked direct questions about what there thoughts were when they got the scripts, etc...lie?  I don't agree with that either.  I don't think they need to be rude or mean, but I don't think they have been.  They've been pretty polite for having spent almost a decade of their life on it.  If some fans feel really let down about how things have gone, I can't imagine how it must feel to be actually playing the role itself and feel like your character and a large segment of your life's work was flushed down the toilet.

I always find it hilarious how much Stephen was out of touch with the show since I thought he did an amazing job with Stannis with what he was given. Especially funny since his in show right hand man was the one keeping him privy to what was going on. If D&D really didnt give him good direction it shows how little they appreciate Stannis(which was kind of evident), and makes you wonder what kind of performance Stephen could have given.

I'd imagine we will see a lot of scathing actor comments after tomorrow, the fact any negativity has slipped through tells a lot. 

Archived