Game of Star Wars: The Final Hope

lady narcissa

So the last thread reached capacity and has been closed.  We are talking about the announcement that Benioff and Weiss will be running from Game of Thrones to take over the Star Wars universe with their first movie slated to come out in 2022.  We might be talking about other upcoming projects from tv shows to games and other things I can't keep up with .  Some of us might occasionally make a comment about how we didn't like The Last Jedi even though we aren't Russian bots and how we are pinning our last hopes on The Rise of Skywalker to save the franchise for us.  Others will be talking about how great everything is.  Some might talk with upcoming dread about JJ's potential use of flare lens and how small space is under his control.  But really, anything Star Wars goes here.  (Except for SWs books - there's another thread for that!)

he Star Wars universe is perfect for D&D. Stormtrooper armor doesn't work for shit, same as armor in GoT, except when the plot demands that it does. Their aim is terrible, too, except when the plot demands that it's not. And JJ already messed up how long it takes to travel from planet to planet; the size of the galaxy is as big as the plot demands it. The Mandalorians literally have jetpacks. So really, D&D should feel right at home.

their handling of ignivomous reptilian breath, insofar as it

Spoiler

has the ability to demolish ancient stone fortifications in seconds whereas heavy construction equipment would take days

strikes me as structurally similar to cars exploding for no reason in midair after driving off a cliff. do we jitter in anticipation of this excellent addition to the franchise, or limit ourselves merely to slight salivation?

I was reading some fun speculation that the title of the new film may refer to the resurrection of Anakin and/or Luke given Palpatine is back. Hadn't considered that.

2 hours ago, lady narcissa said:

So the last thread reached capacity and has been closed.  We are talking about the announcement that Benioff and Weiss will be running from Game of Thrones to take over the Star Wars universe with their first movie slated to come out in 2022.  We might be talking about other upcoming projects from tv shows to games and other things I can't keep up with .  Some of us might occasionally make a comment about how we didn't like The Last Jedi even though we aren't Russian bots and how we are pinning our last hopes on The Rise of Skywalker to save the franchise for us.  Others will be talking about how great everything is.  Some might talk with upcoming dread about JJ's potential use of flare lens and how small space is under his control.  But really, anything Star Wars goes here.  (Except for SWs books - there's another thread for that!)

but no-one seems to talk about the cartoon currently airing. I genuinely can't even remember the name. Oh wait, Resistance?

3 hours ago, red snow said:

I was reading some fun speculation that the title of the new film may refer to the resurrection of Anakin and/or Luke given Palpatine is back. Hadn't considered that.

but no-one seems to talk about the cartoon currently airing. I genuinely can't even remember the name. Oh wait, Resistance?

nor the Star Wars Holiday Special :( 

6 hours ago, red snow said:

The first season ended a couple of months ago.

10 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Ssssss...yeah. No. Not ringing a bell...

It’s like hypothetical Highlander sequels.  It’s the kind of thing people think they remember, but never really happened.  The Mandela Effect of films basically.

13 minutes ago, lady narcissa said:

Vanity Fair article written by Lev Grossman on The Rise of Skywalker along with some amazing photographs by Annie Leibovitz.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2019/05/star-wars-cover-story?verso=true

Thank you!  There are some gorgeous photos in there.  A few things that stood out.

-The desert planet is called Pasaana… because we just need another desert that looks like Tatooine but isn't Tattooine

-Billy Dee Williams is 82!!!!!

-There's something about the picture of Keri Russell's character that just draws the eye

-The analogy of the "what if the Argentine Nazis actually got it together" for the First Order is at least somewhat interesting

-Interesting to know they used TFA footage of Carrie Fisher to fill her role in RoS

BREAKING RUMOUR (original source is Buzzfeed, who have mixed form, so careful). The writer of the Altered Carbon TV series, Shutter IslandAvatar and, er, Terminator: Genisys is developing a film trilogy script based directly on Knights of the Old Republic.

It is unclear if this will be the movie Benioff and Weiss are directing or the first Rian Johnson movie. It's also unclear if the movie will be adapting all of KotOR or all three games in the series (although how the hell you'd fit all of The Old Republic's storylines into a two-hour movie is unclear). I think adapting the game across three movies makes more sense, as the game is quite long (20-30 hours) but that falls a lot if you pull out the more irrelevant side-quests. It'd also be interesting to see a Star Wars trilogy which intensely takes place over a few days rather than years.

Pardon me for linking to the Daily Fail but they have way more pictures in their "article" than anyone else and I'm linking mainly for the pictures:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7085337/Harrison-Ford-Mark-Hamill-Bill-Dee-Williams-creator-George-Lucas-open-Star-Wars-Galaxys-Edge.html

So anyone excited about this?  Planning to go visit it?  I'm somewhat surprised at myself but I have zero interest in this.  I'm comparing my reaction to this with that of the Harry Potter Wizarding World at the Universal parks which I do love and have visited multiple times and would go back to again.  I suppose when I read HP and saw the movies, Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, and Diagon Places were locations I really wanted to see and experience.  I guess I've never watched SWs or read any of the books and really wanted to experience any of those places in person.

I do think the idea of getting to make your own droid is cute.  I'd be into that if you really ended up with a working R2D2 that could actually do things for you!  But not so interested in something that I assume just makes noise and moves about if even that.

Archived