Game of Star Wars: The Final Hope

lady narcissa

15 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

Having some new species as a big threat sounds more like a Star Trek plot to me, than Star Wars. Creating a new institution that threatens galactic peace, exploring new mysteries of the force, and having new force users is more in line with Star Wars.

What I like about the light and dark side is that it isn't really species specific. It's a bit cute/simplistic to have alien race = good (or bad). So I'd rather have a new organisation/order or simply a shit load of sith who've been hanging out in the unknown regions.

One of the things I like about "the mandalorian" is that it's set on the frontier of known space meaning we should get a western feel and possibly some hints at the things that may exist in the unknown regions

1 hour ago, Corvinus said:

Having some new species as a big threat sounds more like a Star Trek plot to me, than Star Wars. Creating a new institution that threatens galactic peace, exploring new mysteries of the force, and having new force users is more in line with Star Wars.

Yes well, The new Jedi Order was pretty shit. And then they went with female force Cthulhu

The franchise is stagnating because they're playing it too safe, just reshuffling the same scenes from previous movies.   Dealing all the same deck of cards.   It's a fine deck to work with, but just reshuffling isn't enough.   It's time to do something fresh with those building blocks.   Add the joker's wild card and change the game.   Something.   Build a straight flush with this next trilogy, starting with the beginning lore and letting it logically point the way into new future territory so the saga feels like it's going somewhere, like it's evolving and culminating instead of merely blowing up more death stars or introducing more repetitions of the empire. 

Because that saps the soul of the viewer.  Case in point: The Walking Dead.  I watched all those original characters scrape and claw to survive and carve out a survivable town..... and then the show ripped the carpet out from under itself by killing them all off except for Carol, which left me feeling undercut and wondering why I'd wasted my time on their "journey."  The sense of accomplishment was taken away.  All their wisdom amounted to nothing.   

I don't know what makes the Gryst or Unknown Territory threat so worrisome.  Does that region or its tech deny force users their powers?  Or is that a species of force-resistant "naturals" who don't have jedi powers but who are unstoppable because everything just goes their way due to unconsciously controlling the force around them.  (The leaders consciously).  This kind of risk taking is what the series could benefit from, and if the new content is good the level of risk comes down, so hire the best people who live this stuff the way Patty Jenkins lives for Wonder Woman and go for it.    

The thing about mitichlorians from Phantom Menace seemed like it could evolve in a whole new direction, but they dropped it after the messiah birth.  What if the mitichlorians finally lost faith in our ability to get shit done, so they started highjacking our central nervous systems to change the galaxy themselves more directly, so entire planets would be sort of demon possessed, essentially.  Angel possessed?    THAT would signal a damn 'Awakening of the Force."    And it'd evoke excitement about the franchise again.    You see that level of boldness mostly in Star Trek episodes, true.  But that doesn't mean they have a monopoly on trying.  Such developments could be made to feel organically Star Wars- ish.    

That shit load of Sith would be fun.  Palpatine reacts with, "oh no, there goes the galaxy!   Now the infighting starts all over again.  That's why I tried to keep our numbers from growing.   It's not just me being selfish, it was also socially responsible Sithing."    Whoa.  Maybe a sith benefits from having a huge territory to themself like a lion.  They can draw force energy from that region in a way you can't do if there's hundreds of force users drawing from the same well.  Maybe Palpatine senses another lion patrolling the unknown region, and that's why it's unknown: someone is blocking his force vision from spying on it.

Finished my prequel trilogy (RotS is hands down the best of the three - dialogue is pretty shit, but the scale of it is great).

Wife is nightshift next weekend, so the plan is to watch Solo one night (lights off, candles lot, red wine flowing), and on the second night will repeat with Rogue One and Rogue Two (aka A New Hope).

18 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Yes well, The new Jedi Order was pretty shit. And then they went with female force Cthulhu 

Bah. There were certainly shit novels in it but overall NJO was a great idea (far better than what JJ Abrams came up with in Force Awakens as to the state of the galaxy). And it contains the best Star Wars story yet told.

7 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Finished my prequel trilogy (RotS is hands down the best of the three - dialogue is pretty shit, but the scale of it is great).

Wife is nightshift next weekend, so the plan is to watch Solo one night (lights off, candles lot, red wine flowing), and on the second night will repeat with Rogue One and Rogue Two (aka A New Hope).

I enjoyed Solo. Not great, and there were many wasted opportunities (they did Thandie and Woody sooooo wrong giving them so little time) but it was enjoyable all the same. Phoebe Waller Bridge’s droid was wonderful

There were a few things I would have liked to see done differently with Solo: first and foremost recast the lead (he just wasn’t cool enough—sure, no-one is Harrison Ford, but, think of Nathan Fillion in Firefly, he had the swagger!). But by and large it is good, probably my #5 favorite SW movie after the OT and TFA. I think it was a victim of coming out so soon after TLJ, and even then I think it under-performed only relative to its exorbitant budget which was the fault of being reshot after Lord and Miller were fired. Nobody hated it; I think people would be happy to see sequels, or see it brought to TV. (Surely we’d see elements of it in the hypothetical Kenobi series?)

38 minutes ago, Falconer said:

There were a few things I would have liked to see done differently with Solo: first and foremost recast the lead (he just wasn’t cool enough—sure, no-one is Harrison Ford, but, think of Nathan Fillion in Firefly, he had the swagger!). But by and large it is good, probably my #5 favorite SW movie after the OT and TFA. I think it was a victim of coming out so soon after TLJ, and even then I think it under-performed only relative to its exorbitant budget which was the fault of being reshot after Lord and Miller were fired. Nobody hated it; I think people would be happy to see sequels, or see it brought to TV. (Surely we’d see elements of it in the hypothetical Kenobi series?)

I imagine maul and his criminal empire would bleed into a Kenobi series especially given the justified beef between them. I'm just trying to remember whether them meeting would contradict anything in Rebels which is apparently the final say on that relationship (although maul has been thought to be dead before).

Looking forward to the mandalorian trailer tomorrow. Favreau seems really stoked for it and that should hopefully shine through in his treatment of SW.

8 hours ago, red snow said:

I imagine maul and his criminal empire would bleed into a Kenobi series especially given the justified beef between them. I'm just trying to remember whether them meeting would contradict anything in Rebels which is apparently the final say on that relationship (although maul has been thought to be dead before).

Disney has no qualms about redoing an existing animated story as live action, methinks!

1 hour ago, Falconer said:

Disney has no qualms about redoing an existing animated story as live action, methinks!

The CG shows and resistance are currently deemed canon but I guess people were told that about the books and look what happened there. I guess things are only canon until they aren't.

1 hour ago, Falconer said:

The Lion King, Aladdin, etc., etc., etc.!

I guess if those Disney films were part of a shared universe it would set more of a precedent but as they are all stand-alones to alter them with remakes isn't earth shattering. Plus they are remakes which implies they can be changed. Star wars has yet to "start from scratch" with a new episode I.  I think a better parallel to draw from is Marvel and the MCU - Agents of SHIELD and the netflix shows (as well as others I haven't watched) were definitely sold as being in-continuity with the films but it's virtually impossible to class SHIELD as being in the same world as the movies now and they are already eroding the likelihood that the netflix shows are canon. Would Disney do the same with clone wars and rebels?

In star wars favour the TV and films are under one roof (unlike Marvel) so there's no weird rivalry there. The other big thing is that clone wars will be returning on the Disney+ channel. Given Star wars is a big part of the launch I think they'd be shooting themselves in the foot to have star wars material on the channel that isn't canon - they want people to think any star wars on Disney+ is essential viewing.

Handled well, a live-action obi-wan show could make Maul's arc in rebels even more profound as we could have more reasons for their rivalry. 

1 hour ago, Darth Richard II said:

Yeah Rebels was made under the same roof with people still there in good standing, not to mention the numerous actors they got from the films to be on the show. (Janes Earl Jones reprising Vader in season 2 still blows my mind)

Rogue one also had easter eggs and ties to the rebels show too. Clone wars and Rebels probably have the best mythology when compared with the films and i think they appease fans by including elements from the games and expanded universe. For me they are the glue of the franchise. Yet i still haven't watched resistance... 

1 hour ago, Darth Richard II said:

There’s also an awesome as fuck animatronic Hondo at Galaxy’s Edge.

That's probably why the park isn't doing so well. He annoyed me after 5 minutes each appearance. I guess kids might live him though.

Archived