Game of Star Wars: The Final Hope

lady narcissa

1 minute ago, Kalbear said:

Also, the idea of remaking RotJ without Ewoks is seen scornfully? Isn't that, ya know, a totally awesome thing?

Hurley rewriting Empire is major plot point in an episode of Lost, and he concludes his explanation with "...and let's face it dude, Ewoks suck."

19 hours ago, Relic said:

This poster has, time and time again, attempted to silence opinions he does not agree with in regard to this movie franchise. So, I'm asking him to give just ONE reason that isn't totally selfish/emotionally driven for why he thinks he has a right to do so on a public forum. 

I totally disagree with the second part of your post, but I don't really want to get into it other than to say my issues go FAR beyond TLJ. 

I know this has already moved on and this isn't really an argument that needs to be drawn, I just want to clarify my main point because I think I got annoyed and didn't communicate it effectively.

You can disagree with that poster and hate the movie, modern Star Wars, Disney (and I do now remember that you have posted very fair concerns about the empire building Disney is doing) and that's whatever. Disparaging his opinion on the basis of "silly fragile feelings" is similar to insulting a guy by calling him gay or a girl - it perpetuates toxic standards. So by all means continue disagreeing with him, I humbly ask that you refrain from doing so in a  way that disparages a part of universal human experience that douchebags on the internet pretend they don't share.

11 hours ago, DMC said:

Hurley rewriting Empire is major plot point in an episode of Lost, and he concludes his explanation with "...and let's face it dude, Ewoks suck."

Ewoks are man-eating barbarian savages. They were going to eat Han! :commie:

On 8/22/2019 at 8:12 PM, HelenaExMachina said:

I enjoyed Solo. Not great, and there were many wasted opportunities (they did Thandie and Woody sooooo wrong giving them so little time) but it was enjoyable all the same. Phoebe Waller Bridge’s droid was wonderful

I think Solo suffered due to coming out so soon after Last Jedi, and all the backlash.  Had it come out a couple of years after revenge of the Sith, I think its lack of force users and gritty look would have made it more warmly received.

3 hours ago, Ran said:

Ewoks are man-eating barbarian savages. They were going to eat Han! :commie:

Vicious little bastards. If they ever advance the story forwards a few thousand years i imagine them to be a Klingon like force. Imagine what they could do when moving from stone age to space tech? They are probably already retrofitting the stolen empire guns and machinery to mske that ewok tribe the dominant power on the moon of endor.

2 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

I think Solo suffered due to coming out so soon after Last Jedi, and all the backlash.  Had it come out a couple of years after revenge of the Sith, I think its lack of force users and gritty look would have made it more warmly received.

Main issue was going seriously over budget and recasting Han. Rogue one avoided any recasts.

Oddly, if solo had been released as a Disney+ show it would have probably done really well. I suspect it will become more popular now it's widely available on homescreens. So depending on the cast's contracts i could easily see solo returning as a tv show, especially if the Obi wan show proves popular as it's got crossover appeal based on the timeline.

22 hours ago, Kalbear said:

To be fair, Palpatine has always wanted those giant destroying things of death. That's kind of his deal. We don't know why he is so obsessed with it, but he cares massively about creating a fully operational battle station. 

I don't honestly think that's what it is in this movie given what I've seen of the toys and the like. But it's not exactly a reach. 

Personally I don’t get why he always reverts to type with a Death Star, why not let him be equally as destructive using Force Storm from the EU, it would be new and much more interesting (visually at least).

20 hours ago, Falconer said:

Psst, it’s called Firefly. ;)

But then it wouldn't have done really well.

I don't see that much of a similarity tbh beyond surface elements. Is GOTG firefly in that case too? (It's not because GOTG is farscape) :)

Leaks have come out in the last few days. If true, Episode IX is both a hard swing away from VIII and pretty corny crap overall -- which, of course, is par for course for this entire sequel trilogy.

I dunno if it could get worse than the pretentious popcorn "auteur" we got with TLJ, but it certainly comes off convoluted & typical Abrams magic sparkle emptiness.

5 minutes ago, kuenjato said:

Leaks have come out in the last few days. If true, Episode IX is both a hard swing away from VIII and pretty corny crap overall -- which, of course, is par for course for this entire sequel trilogy.

I dunno if it could get worse than the pretentious popcorn "auteur" we got with TLJ, but it certainly comes off convoluted & typical Abrams magic sparkle emptiness.

what are the leaks?

Given the levels of secrecy JJ, Lucasfilm, and Disney have all successfully demonstrated over the years, I'd be skeptical of any "leaks" coming out before press showings.

That's not to say the movie isn't a forced mess, but take any leak with a pound of salt.

9 minutes ago, Myrddin said:

Given the levels of secrecy JJ, Lucasfilm, and Disney have all successfully demonstrated over the years, I'd be skeptical of any "leaks" coming out before press showings.

That's not to say the movie isn't a forced mess, but take any leak with a pound of salt.

I Don t know... 

I think there is a huge belief that the movie is going to suck so they might want to leak something to change people's perspective. Otherwise I think that at least the opening weekend will be a disappointment for Disney. 

PS after the trailers of TlJ I Don t think anyone places much weight on whatever they show in trailers... So I Don t think any trailer will have a big effect on people's expectations

These leaks are usually click bait. Until action figures and lego tie ins appear there won't be much solid info.

A deliberate leak providing evidence it's crap seems counterproductive to me. Surely it would be glowing comments about how good the first cut seems, etc.

I'm far from excited about the film but you can bet I'll be booking my tickets for the opening night still. More so if the mandalorian whets my appetite for all things star wars

The whole basic plot for TFA was online 3 months before the film came out, if not before -- that was when I skimmed through them, and though some details were wrong, the structure was pretty close.

Again, grain of salt, Caveat Emptor. It says a lot that I avoided all leaks for The Last Jedi, believing the hype that Johnson was talented and would take the franchise to unexpected heights. Uh, well, yeah. Now I have no problem perusing leaks, as I have no lingering affection for the Sequel Trilogy and instead observe out of academic curiosity as to how they might try and salvage this train wreck coupled with lingering nostalgia for the films of my childhood.

Archived