Game of Star Wars: The Final Hope

lady narcissa

17 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Yeah... you'd never see hordes of CGI robots in a massive battle with other CGI guys in armor while two dudes square off with a bad dude in a Star Wars movie...

Or hordes of weird water aliens fighting said CGI robots while two dudes fight another dude in a power reactor...

Or hordes of small furry things that would likely be CGI if done today fighting said dudes in armor while two dudes face off on a space station...

Or hordes of tall furry things that face off against CGI hordes of armored dudes while another dude kills a lot of little dudes...

Nope... not in Star Wars.

Fair point although they still had villains with goals at least. Guess you could argue the prequel films did inspire marvel for that type of third act.

16 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

I hope we get Obi-Wan’s connection to Rey in the next movie.

I can’t believe they would have that during the flashback in The Force Awakens for no reason. 

It's J.J.'s Mystery Box. It wasn't there for no reason, it was there because he believes that asking the audience a question creates emotional investment that does not need to be answered.

That's not me being snarky, either. That's how he described one of his tenants of film making.

ETA:

People who say J.J. is a bad director are wrong. The man can shoot the fuck out of a movie. He's an abysmal writer.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/29/2019 at 12:12 AM, Jace, Basilissa said:

It's J.J.'s Mystery Box. It wasn't there for no reason, it was there because he believes that asking the audience a question creates emotional investment that does not need to be answered.

That's not me being snarky, either. That's how he described one of his tenants of film making.

ETA:

People who say J.J. is a bad director are wrong. The man can shoot the fuck out of a movie. He's an abysmal writer.

I don't think he's an absymal writer either. I just think that you have to recognize he's not a writer particularly concerned with or able to execute satisfying payoff, like Stephen King. But he is very good at coming up with very cool ideas and translating them into evocative and interesting scenes. At this point, going into a JJ Abrams movie and expecting satisfying answers to mysteries means you're probably going to have a bad time.

This is also why I was completely cool with Johnson throwing out many of the mysteries from TFA. Like Rey's parents: there was no way this was ever going to have a satisfying answer. So I do like the idea of just saying "her parents were unimportant, focus on the individual and not what dynasty they belong to."

10 hours ago, Davrum said:

Anyone else doing a 1-episode-per-day Clone Wars rewatch leading up to Feb 2020 when Season 7 is finally released?

Are you going to get Disney+? How much longer will CW be available on Netlfix? I plan doing a strong binge re-watch later this year, I can't stick to just 1 ep per day.

3 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Should we be expecting a final Episode IX trailer soon does anyone think? I recently realised how close the film is, which got me all excited

For the other 2 films they've always released a new trailer on ESPN during Monday Night Football, followed closely by a youtube release. There are only 2 opportunities left this month.

On 10/16/2019 at 7:14 AM, Corvinus said:

Are you going to get Disney+? How much longer will CW be available on Netlfix? I plan doing a strong binge re-watch later this year, I can't stick to just 1 ep per day.

Oh heck yes. I meeeean, The Mandalorian. Kenobi. Cassian Andor. Etc.

I'm doing my Clone Wars 1-episode-per-day re-watch using my brother's blu-rays though, it's not on Netflix anymore.

In the past I've done multiple eps per day and it was fun in that pig-out kind of way, but what I've found so far on this 1-per-day mission is I get so much more out of each episode when I leave some breathing space between them, especially supplementing them with a good, thoughtful podcast, like Jaig Eyes and Jedis.

On 10/15/2019 at 8:48 PM, HelenaExMachina said:

Should we be expecting a final Episode IX trailer soon does anyone think? I recently realised how close the film is, which got me all excited

On 10/15/2019 at 8:55 PM, Corvinus said:

For the other 2 films they've always released a new trailer on ESPN during Monday Night Football, followed closely by a youtube release. There are only 2 opportunities left this month.

On 10/15/2019 at 10:55 PM, Darth Richard II said:

Rumor is it drops 10/21, which is also Carrie Fishers birthday.

CLose but no cigar, its dropping on Tuesday

57 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

You have failed me for the last time... to account for time zone differences.

I really wanted to throw in an everything is proceeding as I have foreseen to counter this, but I didn’t make a prediction :(, no cigar for me either!:P.

3 hours ago, Corvinus said:

The Mandalorian's episode schedule has been released. https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/ustv/a29517980/star-wars-the-mandalorian-air-dates-disney/

Also, as an Amazon Fire TV user, I might miss out. (I could probably still sign up on my PC)

Interesting.  I didn’t know YouTube wasn’t on FireTV or that Prime TV wasn’t available on Chromecast. :dunno:

I use Rokus on my older TVs and the Samsung in my office just downloads all the apps directly onto a ribbon.  The only problem I ever had was that my basement TV is a Sony smart TV with the PS4 hooked up to it and my DirectTV Now wasn’t available to download through Sony’s store.

9 hours ago, Corvinus said:

The Mandalorian's episode schedule has been released. https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/ustv/a29517980/star-wars-the-mandalorian-air-dates-disney/

Also, as an Amazon Fire TV user, I might miss out. (I could probably still sign up on my PC)

Clever schedule, dropping eps 1 & 2 within less than a week to push early momentum. Also avoiding Dec 20, the U.S. release of Ep IX.

Several media were shown about 27 minutes worth of footage a couple of days ago by the way, and - while you always have to take these early hype generators with a big old grain of Crait salt - word seems to be hugely positive.

8 hours ago, Rhom said:

Interesting.  I didn’t know YouTube wasn’t on FireTV or that Prime TV wasn’t available on Chromecast. :dunno:

I use Rokus on my older TVs and the Samsung in my office just downloads all the apps directly onto a ribbon.  The only problem I ever had was that my basement TV is a Sony smart TV with the PS4 hooked up to it and my DirectTV Now wasn’t available to download through Sony’s store.

A couple of weeks ago I got the youtube app. Prior to this I was using the Mozilla app to access youtube.

Archived