Game of Star Wars: The Final Hope

lady narcissa

4 hours ago, Stannis Eats No Peaches said:

I thought the milk scene was hilarious. It satirises fan service.

Dont understand why this scene got so many people’s knickers in a twist. To me it was no more outlandish than meeting Senile Yoda in ESB. I enjoyed everything on the island, fwiw. Other comedic bits there worked too, like the keeper thingies and the porgs.

Its been argued to death at this point but i also have no problem with Luke considering killing Ben. He senses the darkness, he doesnt want to live through the Empire at its height again, so he comsiders destroying the threat from a mix of fear and anger...where have we seen that before? Hm.....not like he did that is RotJ....and ultimately he realises he can’t anyway. But sure, this scene destroyed the character.

Yeah he was ready to fuck Vader up like a bitch cause he said some off hand comment about his sis, so I don't find the whole Luke considers murdering Ben for .5 seconds that much of a stretch.

1 hour ago, The Mother of The Others said:

Had to be tried.    

This will be the movie where Leia kicks ass.   They'll use the death as a smokescreen and have her be the skywalker who rises and surprises.   

Snoke's sacrifice wasn't in vain!    He dropped some weight, sure, but that extreme dieting was all part of the plan.

Do you honestly post this stuff sober?

Yeah, for all the knocks on humor and tonal shifts you'd think y'all hated TESB.

• "I'd rather kiss a wookee - that can be arranged"
  • Who's scruffy looking?
  • Yoda hitting R2D2 repeatedly with a stick
  • R2D2 being eaten and spit out by a swamp monster
  • Virtually the entire Yoda part for like 10 minutes
  • "I am altering the deal"
  • "Apology...accepted"
  • "I thought they smelled bad...on the OUTSIDE"
  • The Han repairing the Falcon bit (which happens like 5 times)
  • The 'it's not fair' done by Han AND by Lando

Now, some of these are in pretty extended funny bits (like the Yoda stuff), but others are happening like while Luke's being rescued and they're all trying to escape Vader and they all got their ass kicked. Some of it is like when 3P0 is being carried around and looks stupid and is yelling at Chewie while Han is about to be frozen in carbonite. Or Han rescuing Luke from almost being frozen to death and joking about the smell of his recently slaughtered ride. 

It doesn't quite beat the 'most innuendo laden terms' like "Pull out Wedge you're not doing anyone any good back there" and "You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought" from ANH, but geez. Part of the reason I felt that the new trilogy has worked is BECAUSE it actually has some fucking humor in it that isn't fart jokes and things falling on things. 

I suspect opinions on the prank call are probably influenced by whether you want Hux to be a serious threat or a punching bag that can still kill you. The entire sequence at the start is undermining Hux and its not just the prank call - the captain of the dreadnought seems competent enough and he's furious at the incompetence of Hux as well. If you were expecting him to be more of a Tarkin, then yeah - him being so slow to realise he's being trolled, him not launching fighters immediately, Snoke dragging him around by the feet on the bridge of his ship are all bad moves that destroy this image of him.

But the dragging around thing doesn't indicate a tonal shift to me at all, because he's meant to be a joke not just to the audience but to the other first order officers. Doing it in front of them is Snoke's point. It reinforces how far above them he is and that he can put whoever he wants wherever he wants.

1 hour ago, Darth Richard II said:

It's interesting, the actor who plays Hux said he prefers the punching bag version.

I think that it's the right choice too. Sometimes I want super-competent foes that are incredibly hard, but Hux isn't that; he's the guy who is promoted way above his station and makes up for his lack of competence by overreaching and being incredibly cruel and conniving. Those kinds of villains are scary as well, because they will do anything to survive and thrive. They won't think twice about massive atrocities if it means covering their own ass. 

1 hour ago, Corvinus said:

Enough talk about TLJ. The Mandalorian is coming.

Its still 15 days. And then theres the lack of Disney+ here [for another 7 days after that]. I didn't actually know Aus was even being included so that's a nice surprise, the week delay is kinda annoying though.

2 hours ago, Kalbear said:

I think that it's the right choice too. Sometimes I want super-competent foes that are incredibly hard, but Hux isn't that; he's the guy who is promoted way above his station and makes up for his lack of competence by overreaching and being incredibly cruel and conniving. Those kinds of villains are scary as well, because they will do anything to survive and thrive. They won't think twice about massive atrocities if it means covering their own ass. 

I find on rematches of TLJ he isn't QUITE as incompetent as he seems, there's a few points where they probably should have listened to him.

2 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

there's a few points where they probably should have listened to him.

Well, obviously if Ren listened to him at the end they would have destroyed the resistance.

26 minutes ago, DMC said:

Well, obviously if Ren listened to him at the end they would have destroyed the resistance.

My money was on this being one of the central things that brings down Ren - that him being so massively humiliated by Luke in front of his forces against the express advice of Hux would undermine his leadership. That was before they revealed Palps return so the fuck do I know.

It’s quite frightening that some people can’t tell the difference between Han saying ‘who’s scruffy looking’ and Luke milking a giant space cow and drinking its putrid green milk. 

Maybe this board has been overrun by bots, bots whose humour module hasn’t been installed yet. It’s the only explanation.

The Mandolorian continues to look great though 

52 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

It’s quite frightening that some people can’t tell the difference between Han saying ‘who’s scruffy looking’ and Luke milking a giant space cow and drinking its putrid green milk. 

It's amazing that some people can't follow a conversation thread and randomly insert what they think are incredibly cutting blows that end up just revealing their lack of comprehension. 

Though it's pretty typical for folks like HoI to be especially bothered by impurity jokes. That shouldn't be particularly surprising that a snowflake like that was so triggered by alien nipples and milking. 

5 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

It's amazing that some people can't follow a conversation thread and randomly insert what they think are incredibly cutting blows that end up just revealing their lack of comprehension. 

Though it's pretty typical for folks like HoI to be especially bothered by impurity jokes. That shouldn't be particularly surprising that a snowflake like that was so triggered by alien nipples and milking. 

6 hours ago, karaddin said:

I suspect opinions on the prank call are probably influenced by whether you want Hux to be a serious threat or a punching bag that can still kill you. 

For me, it's not so much that Hux can't be both a punching bag and a threat, it's more that I think the director shouldn't be emphasising both in the same scene. He can certainly be a threat in terms of his ability to inflict harm, but he's not framed as a threat, especially at a time when the heroes are really supposed to be in danger. So if Johnson wants to make him into a laughing stock, I think that's a valid artistic choice, but he should be doing so at another time rather than right before a big battle scene.

Archived