Game of Star Wars: The Final Hope

lady narcissa

3 hours ago, red snow said:

Maybe i don't want power rangers in the next film :)

Yeah. I can imagine the third film will conclude jj abrams original ideas (i find it hard to believe how a writer can set up mystery parents amd villains without any idea how they might conclude - although this is JJ) moreso than Rian's. But it might be harder to do in a way that doesn't undo elements of TLJ.

But the resistance could have had time to regrow or it's destruction was over estimated. Snoke's original plan can be transferred to Palpatine. Force ghost luke could be a bit more positive. Kylo was simply lying to Rey about her parents (in the way Ben lied to luke about anakin/darth). They are all ways to change elements of TLJ without ignoring it. Although that's assuming JJ even wants to change these elements and Even if he did it wouldn't necessarily make the film "good".

Really hope the next trilogy does have an outline with plot/character arcs mapped out before making the first one. Or at least have a Feige type overlord/emperor who can tell writer/directors what they want.

There is some passage of time between film this time so that's a fair guess

27 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

And Qui-Gon. Wasn’t he the first one to rediscover how to become a force ghost in like a millennia?

He was certainly powerful and definitely wise, certainly more pragmatic than most Jedi seemed to be, I don’t know if I’d consider him any more powerful than Obi-Wan though(when he was older I mean not when he was Qui-Gons apprentice), I don’t think he’d have any trouble dealing with Kylo in a fight though, after all he held his own against Maul for quite a while so is a pretty skilled duellist, Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan are by far my favourite Jedi characters though, which is a big thing for me as I’m usually 100% #TeamSith.

Originally though people were more discussing Kylo vs Palpatine if they fight in the new film, which would be an absolute walkover for Palpatine as he’s not only a far better duellist, he’s far more powerful and knowledgable in the force too, really the only way they could convincingly defeat him again is if Luke does it as neither Kylo nor Rey would come close to being able to.

This all of course hinges on weather he returns in corporeal form or not though to be fair.

1 hour ago, Bittersweet Distractor said:

Exactly, it was about technique, to be fair though Obi-Wan was a pretty powerful Jedi, I know he wasn’t from the sacred Skywalker bloodline but I’d go out on a limb and say from what I’ve seen in the films he appears more powerful in the force than Kylo, or if not more powerful, more able to control his use of it.

I’ve always considered the most powerful force users in the films to be Palpatine and Yoda, closely followed by Anakin/Vader and to be fair to Luke after that astral projection in TLJ he’s right up there too.

I like the idea that while Obi-wan isn't the most powerful, he's just really good at using what he has. Which I think fits better into the Jedi mindset. Like one of my big problems with Anakin as the chosen one is, you guys are Jedi why the fuck do you care how powerful someone is?

It's also why Obi-wan is a Master and on the council despite his age.

7 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

:rolleyes:

anyway, Rebels was awesome and the most Star Wars since Star Wars, and I honestly think of you don’t like Rebels, you probably just don’t like Star Wars.

High hopes for clone wars and the mandalorian too. Maybe star wars is better suited to tv as long as the budget/animation allows it to look good and epic

• 4 weeks later...

Resistance has been cancelled, which I don't think anyone will be too upset about. The final season starts in October, which is a surprise; I assumed it wouldn't be till next year, since Last Jedi didn't leave it with much space to play in. I guess it will give us some idea of the state of the galaxy in the lead up to Skywalker.

8 hours ago, red snow said:

Seems to be a lot of rumours circulating about a ewan McGregor obi wan disney+ series. Presumably an adaptation of the long rumoured film trilogy prior to the financial flop of solo.

It's been confirmed that McGregor is in talks, so, assuming they don't fuck it up that seems like a sure thing.

Even if everything about Obi Wan in the Prequels is ridiculous and "destroyed my childhood", I still liked McGregor in the role, he seemed like he wanted it to be good and made an effort. I'm completely pessimistic about all Disney Starwars properties now, but there is a glimmer of hope that this could be ok.

How come this guy isn't in charge?   Especially if they delve into the past for the next set of movies.   Did disney even bother to hire a consultant like this who knows all this stuff?  Because it's really impressive. If some of this lore snuck into their product that'd be a great way of having the movie feel like it was "something."

14 hours ago, The Mother of The Others said:

How come this guy isn't in charge?   Especially if they delve into the past for the next set of movies.   Did disney even bother to hire a consultant like this who knows all this stuff?  Because it's really impressive. If some of this lore snuck into their product that'd be a great way of having the movie feel like it was "something."

Probably because the likes of JJ Abrams and Rian Johnson just want to do whatever they feel like on a given day and not be beholden to old continuity. Which is a massive shame as it's easy enough to create new stories that don't contradict and instead build off this sort of stuff. The video was great. Benioff and Weiss should definitely contact him if their films are going to be set in the old republic - they work best when they have someone who knows what they are doing to work off.

On 8/16/2019 at 10:53 PM, Darth Richard II said:

It's been confirmed that McGregor is in talks, so, assuming they don't fuck it up that seems like a sure thing.

Still nothing sealing the whole thing but it's this weekend that the D23 expo happens so I'm sure that's where we'll get the official word as that would certainly be a talking point for the event. It'll be interesting to see who the writer/directors are too. One of the rumours was that McGregor wants to direct some episodes which could be part of his negotiations for signing on. That in itself is interesting in terms of what kind of films he's interested in directing as he'd definitely be picking up a lot of technical/action elements in terms of the crews he'd be working with.

16 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Well I don't have the time to watch that video but isn't Palps interest in the Unknown Regions also in the new EU?

Didn't rebels touch on this? Isn't thrawn there?

Timothy Zahn, in his early 90s novels The Thrawn Trilogy, came up with the idea of the Unknown Regions as a mysterious place where Thrawn originated. He revisited this idea in the late 90s in The Hand of Thrawn, in which we finally go to the Unknown Regions (well, a base on the border of it, I guess) and meet Thrawn’s species, the Chiss, and we learn that the Chiss had allied with the Empire because they wanted to fight off a bigger, unnamed threat from within the Unknown Regions. The series ended with a “vision” of endless adventure, with Luke and friends exploring the Unknown Regions’ new threats and mysteries.

In the early 00s, Del Rey in their New Jedi Order series ran with a different idea, of the New Republic being invaded from another Galaxy, called the Yuuzhan Vong, and they basically stated that they were the threat that Zahn was talking about (even though they were obviously not actually from the Unknown Regions). Well, later in the 00s, Zahn was brought back for a one-shot novel called Survivor’s Quest, in which he revealed that the actual threat in the Unknown Regions was something else, a species called the Vagaari. Unfortunately, this novel is rather lackluster, and Zahn obviously wasn’t given much leeway to do anything as epic as he had in the past. Or maybe his ideas had just been more evocative when they went unexplored.

In the new canon, of course, in The Force Awakens we meet Snoke and learn that he is leading an Imperial-flavored faction from within the Unknown Regions. In last year’s novel Thrawn: Alliances, Zahn revealed that the big unnamed threat in the Unknown Regions is now a species called the Grysks. I’m guessing they’re a replacement for the Vagaari, and I’m guessing they are Snoke’s species, but…

It is starting to get a little hard to care. Back in 1998 when Zahn made it seem like we were on the brink of something new, that Luke and friends were going to have endless adventures exploring a new region of space, it was thrilling, at least to imagine. In 2013, when the Sequel Trilogy started out, it seemed like a possible new direction they could take the story. They could have maybe done it in Ep.8, but Ep.9 can’t really get into a whole new thing. Maybe they’ll do a post-ST trilogy (movies or Zahn books) about it?

Having some new species as a big threat sounds more like a Star Trek plot to me, than Star Wars. Creating a new institution that threatens galactic peace, exploring new mysteries of the force, and having new force users is more in line with Star Wars.

Archived