Who's hyped for Episode 6 for unintended reasons?

I for one can't wait to see how much of a dumpster fire this final episode will be. Every desperate show 'theorist' (read: apologist) proven wrong, everything just as disappointing as Kit Harrington promised, legions and legions of formerly vehement fans turning on Dan and Dave, HBO desperately trying to cover up their tweet throwing shade at Stanley fucking Yelnats for having 'no essays written about him' when one, yes he has, two, at least Holes got a faithful adaptation, and three, Holes is for early teens, not grown-ass people without brain damage.

It might make me sadistic, but I can't wait for all these desperate excuses to be proven wrong and the so-called 'bittersweet' ending leaving all but the most basic of fans nothing but bitter.

Who else is hyped for the collapse of this show's reputation?

Here for this. Ready for Jon (or Arya disguised as Jon) to kill Daenerys and for Jon's punishment to be going beyond the wall to live with Ghost. The ending is bitter because Jon who "never wanted" the throne now never gets to have it boo hoo, but sweet because at least Daenerys is dead. 

The sad thing is is that we may never even get the books to fix this mess. GRRM is his own person and these are his books, he really doesn't owe us anything. But oh how do I want them. 

I'm looking "forward" to it so I can get some sort of closure with this entire franchise and then move on.

Ultimately I hope it's really really bad so that even more fans come to realize what an absolute dumpster fire Season 8 has been, and what a bunch of useless hacks D&D are. Episode 3 opened the floodgates, then more came pouring in episode 4, then even more in episode 5.

Now let's prepare so we can welcome the rest of the fan base in a common post episode 6-catharsis! 

16 minutes ago, MinscS2 said:

I'm looking "forward" to it so I can get some sort of closure with this entire franchise and then move on.

Ultimately I hope it's really really bad so that even more fans come to realize what an absolute dumpster fire Season 8 has been, and what a bunch of useless hacks D&D are. Episode 3 opened the floodgates, then more came pouring in episode 4, then even more in episode 5.

Now let's prepare so we can welcome the rest of the fan base in a common post episode 6-catharsis! 

Exactly, can you imagine how inundated the freefolk meme archive will be if it's truly dreadful? Speaking of memes, here's two I made:

Here's to many more memes!

I am beyond hyped. I am ready to see the internet explode at this dumpster fire of a season. I want a satisfying ending, but at the same time, I want D&D to continue doing their awful job and watch people scramble to try to justify their bad choices and connect the dots for them. It's amazing the hoops some people jump through to "prove" how amazing the writing is this season.

And the memes... I am so excited for the memes.

Oh, abso-blinking-lutely.  I might even watch this one!

I was speaking to a showpologist at work today who finally conceded that it was "a bit disappointing"; I'm hoping for full on rage next week :devil:

I've had doubts from season 2, problems with season 3, stopped watching after season 4, and I now I finally feel that I'm not just some book snob who doesn't get it.  (There was always the ever-growing  Rant and Rave, but nobody in my real life ever agreed with me.)

I do feel some sympathy for people who've stuck with it up until now though; it must feel like a total betrayal, so I'm sorry they couldn't have had a satisfying ending, but I do enjoy that people are finally criticising D&D, who have deserved it for a long time.

And a small part of me is quietly hoping that we will shortly have a book announcement... 

28 minutes ago, Neddy's Girl said:

I was speaking to a showpologist at work today who finally conceded that it was "a bit disappointing"; I'm hoping for full on rage next week :devil:

Have a friend like that who has since given up and admitted he just likes the spectacle. Absolutely nothing wrong with that as long as you aren't pretending the writing is any good.

8 minutes ago, Beardy the Wildling said:

Have a friend like that who has since given up and admitted he just likes the spectacle. Absolutely nothing wrong with that as long as you aren't pretending the writing is any good.

I think that's what's bugged me for so long - people are allowed to like what they like, but when it's hyped up as if it's the greatest televisual achievement of all time and completely immune to criticism, it pisses me off.

3 minutes ago, Neddy's Girl said:

I think that's what's bugged me for so long - people are allowed to like what they like, but when it's hyped up as if it's the greatest televisual achievement of all time and completely immune to criticism, it pisses me off.

Yeah. There was one guy who I didn't like so much, who not only kept calling me pedantic when I had a problem with Season 7, but doubled down and said Season 7 was the best season ever. When I noted that the intrigue and military tactics are borked, he was like 'yeah, but it's never been about that, it's always been about sex and dragons and stuff'.

When I told him that GoT got popular by promising to be more than that, he laughed and said I was delusional and reading too much into it, and I should just shut up and enjoy it. I didn't bother talking about GoT at work anymore, because the only opinion allowed was mindless worship.

1 hour ago, btfu806 said:

It's amazing the hoops some people jump through to "prove" how amazing the writing is this season.

Clues to all honeypotters out there: If you need to write an essay to prove a writing team's basic competence, maybe they're not as competent as you think.

I´m  not hyped at all.

Sunday night/ Monday morning I will read a lot of reviews and summaries before I decide if I want to expose myself to all the bitterness I now see coming. I'm no masochist, and so I will not give D&D any power over my emotional reactions any more. If I have enough reason to think there will be only bitterness for me, I don't know if I will even watch it. And if I do, I will watch for "scientific" reasons only. 

I wait and see. But I am absolutely not looking forward to it. I expect nothing but the sad ruins of a great story. Nothing extraordinary, just the normal cynicism. I am not sure if I want to invest any more time in it.

8 hours ago, Beardy the Wildling said:

According to Rotten Tomatoes:

1. Winterfell - 92%
  2. A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms - 88%
  3. The Long Night - 75%
  4. The Last of the Starks - 57%
  5. The Bells - 47%

I'd say that ship has sailed.

However, I'm not rooting for a disastrous finale. The show has gone downhill over the last few seasons, and especially this one, but I'm still hoping for as satisfying an ending as can be expected at this juncture, because I'm neither sadistic nor masochistic enough to hate-watch a program.

5 minutes ago, Winter prince said:

I think I was more disappointed in season 7 when I had expectations. I still find the entertainment value and I have decent co workers who can talk about ASOIAF/GOT in a civilized manner so it's not all bad. 

My expectations were a little lowered for Season 7 after season 6. But I remember during season 7 I kept saying to myself, what the hell am I watching? And my coworkers were talking about how good it was. I couldn't believe it.

9 hours ago, Beardy the Wildling said:

I for one can't wait to see how much of a dumpster fire this final episode will be. Every desperate show 'theorist' (read: apologist) proven wrong, everything just as disappointing as Kit Harrington promised, legions and legions of formerly vehement fans turning on Dan and Dave, HBO desperately trying to cover up their tweet throwing shade at Stanley fucking Yelnats for having 'no essays written about him' when one, yes he has, two, at least Holes got a faithful adaptation, and three, Holes is for early teens, not grown-ass people without brain damage.

It might make me sadistic, but I can't wait for all these desperate excuses to be proven wrong and the so-called 'bittersweet' ending leaving all but the most basic of fans nothing but bitter.

I'm especially hyped to see book fanatics reach a new level of denial about how the show has departed from the books and there is no way events like Dany burning King's Landing is going to happen in the books!

42 minutes ago, Anthony Pirtle said:

According to Rotten Tomatoes:

1. Winterfell - 92%
  2. A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms - 88%
  3. The Long Night - 75%
  4. The Last of the Starks - 57%
  5. The Bells - 47%

I'd say that ship has sailed.

However, I'm not rooting for a disastrous finale. The show has gone downhill over the last few seasons, and especially this one, but I'm still hoping for as satisfying an ending as can be expected at this juncture, because I'm neither sadistic nor masochistic enough to hate-watch a program.

I'm not surprised by this, but it's not for the reasons that so many seem think.  It's because people have invested in certain characters who are not turning out to be like they imagined.

I know a fair few unsullied (especially female unsullied) who are furious that Dany is turning evil.  They thought she was the heroine of the story and they are bitterly disappointed that she's not.

4 minutes ago, Ser Gareth said:

I'm especially hyped to see book fanatics reach a new level of denial about how the show has departed from the books and there is no way events like Dany burning King's Landing is going to happen in the books!

Well it's been confirmed that the scene D&D are aping is Jon Connington burning KL due to a combination of going insane from greyscale and PTSD from the Battle of the Bells. I've said this a thousand times before, but I'm very down for mad queen Dany, just not... random copy-paste JonCon Dany. Give me a mad queen Dany with actual build-up. I don't think anyone sane gives a fuck about how close the show is to the books when the applicable books haven't been written. They just want a story that makes sense and doesn't rely on random character assassinations/plot-induced idiocy, but I guess that's too much to ask.

4 minutes ago, Beardy the Wildling said:

Well it's been confirmed that the scene D&D are aping is Jon Connington burning KL due to a combination of going insane from greyscale and PTSD from the Battle of the Bells. I've said this a thousand times before, but I'm very down for mad queen Dany, just not... random copy-paste JonCon Dany. Give me a mad queen Dany with actual build-up. I don't think anyone sane gives a fuck about how close the show is to the books when the applicable books haven't been written. They just want a story that makes sense and doesn't rely on random character assassinations/plot-induced idiocy, but I guess that's too much to ask.

It's been there since season one.  Every time she gets emotionally upset, she does something terrible.  It's been escalating over the seasons because her Dragons are stronger and more powerful.

I'd be interested in reading about Jon Connington burning KL.  That's the first I've heard that he will completely destroy King's Landing and leave nothing left of it.  Dany is going to be pretty pissed to come and take the Iron Throne to find out it has been burned to the ground!

Archived