Why didn't Lyanna write to Eddard?

Belizarie

8 minutes ago, Belizarie said:

Or to her father. Or to Robert. She had plenty of time to tell them the truth about her "abduction" in order to stop the upcoming rebellion, which ultimately claimed her lover's life. Why all the silence?

Sending messages isn't so easy as the show made it look. You need a raven that knows where to go and someone able to not only send the message but someone who is of confidence to read the message and deliver it without changing anything. Imagine trying to send a message like "I wasn't abuducted I'm fine with my lover Rhaegar". And not only that, we don't have confirmation that Lyanna wasn't abducted. You're basing your conclusions on what?

2 hours ago, Ser Loras The Gay said:

Sending messages isn't so easy as the show made it look. You need a raven that knows where to go and someone able to not only send the message but someone who is of confidence to read the message and deliver it without changing anything. Imagine trying to send a message like "I wasn't abuducted I'm fine with my lover Rhaegar". And not only that, we don't have confirmation that Lyanna wasn't abducted. You're basing your conclusions on what?

Messenger(s)? She had plenty of time, we're talking about months here.

25 minutes ago, Gerg Sknab said:

Why would she even bother? Eddard was a second son and little was expected of him while being fostered at the Eyrie. She had no further interest in Robert so it is not out of the realm to suggest that she was at fault as Rhaegar

Well then how about Brandon or her father? Someone? She wasn't stupid. You're the daughter of a major lord, you disappear from the face of the realm, you can't expect nobody to come looking for you and further complications.

Well if you are under the premise she left willingly, then yes she should have told someone. Either she told Benjen and he didn’t say anything or she knew her father wouldn’t let her leave and decided not to say anything.

i believe in the latter.

This is a very interesting question which may never, unfortunately, be answered.

Considering it was a year between Lyanna's disappearance and Rhaegar's reappearance on the Trident, it seems difficult to believe that Lyanna would be completely ignorant of the carnage taking place in large part because of events that directly involved her. Relatedly, it is also curious why Ned chose to go to Dorne (of all places) after lifting the siege of Storm's End. In the end, some of these answers might simply be the GRRM version of "because plot."

Given how much the show has taken liberties with this plot, such as R & L actually being in love, it is difficult to make sense of the actual plot at this stage. Were they in love or was she kidnapped? Perhaps it was a mixture of both and this is why no one heard from Lyanna.

We still have very little to go on, really, despite the pages and pages of theories that exist about this matter.

Interesting thread. I hope we get more information in the books. With what we know so far, I find it hard to believe that she would willingly withhold information. This is because I believe she would be somewhat aware of how dangerous this move would have been.

Well to be fair the war wouldn't have started if aerys hadn't burned the starks like he did. Once that happened the only way the war would end would be with the rebels dead or aerys of the throne.  However I also wondered why she didn't send a letter or something. Or why rheagar himself didn't. Unless the show was wrong and rhegar did actually kidnap her.

On 5/17/2019 at 2:56 PM, Chris is my name said:

This is a very interesting question which may never, unfortunately, be answered.

Considering it was a year between Lyanna's disappearance and Rhaegar's reappearance on the Trident, it seems difficult to believe that Lyanna would be completely ignorant of the carnage taking place in large part because of events that directly involved her. Relatedly, it is also curious why Ned chose to go to Dorne (of all places) after lifting the siege of Storm's End. In the end, some of these answers might simply be the GRRM version of "because plot."

Given how much the show has taken liberties with this plot, such as R & L actually being in love, it is difficult to make sense of the actual plot at this stage. Were they in love or was she kidnapped? Perhaps it was a mixture of both and this is why no one heard from Lyanna.

We still have very little to go on, really, despite the pages and pages of theories that exist about this matter.

Ned’s talk to Arya about how Lyanna’s “wolf’s blood” led to her early grave may be a large clue into the nature of her abduction/eloping. 

10 hours ago, Belizarie said:

Or to her father. Or to Robert. She had plenty of time to tell them the truth about her "abduction" in order to stop the upcoming rebellion, which ultimately claimed her lover's life. Why all the silence?

What makes you think Lyanna had access to a Raven?  Or that she would be allowed to possibly contact anyone?

19 minutes ago, Darksnider05 said:

What makes you think Lyanna had access to a Raven?  Or that she would be allowed to possibly contact anyone?

I agree, she likely didn't.

And let's not forget, while it would be strange for her to be completely silent if she left on her own accord, she was only one of the catalysts for the Rebellion (despite what the show claims) and might not have made much difference after Robert got his hackles up.

Even if Lyanna were to have shown herself, it wouldn't have erased the killing of Brandon and Rickard Stark, the demand on Jon Arryn to murder his friends and wards, Aerys' Jaime/Tywin debacle, etc.

Rhaegar and Lyanna were indeed the first domino to fall, but the chain that was started was unstoppable (much like the spur of the moment decision to try and kill a small boy witnessing your incest ultimately leading to the War of Five Kings.)

We don't know if she informed anyone or not, and even if she did, it still wouldn't have changed much. The rebellion wasn't about getting Lyanna back, it was about Robert and Ned not losing their heads as Aerys had ordered, after Brandon and Rickard were murdered. The rebellion started because Aerys had gone too far, Lyanna couldn't have stopped it.

Plus, what little we know about Brandon's actions, doesn't rule out the scenario that he knew all too well and that he didn't want to kill Rhaegar over an abduction but over soiling his sister's honour (mind you, Brandon had to be restrained not to come to blows with Rhaegar over the crowning, so what would he want to do now when it comes to the real deal?). His main focus seems to be killing Rhaegar, not getting his sister back, and we still don't know why he even thought Rhaegar was in KL in the first place.

4 hours ago, snow is the man said:

Well to be fair the war wouldn't have started if aerys hadn't burned the starks like he did. Once that happened the only way the war would end would be with the rebels dead or aerys of the throne.  However I also wondered why she didn't send a letter or something. Or why rheagar himself didn't. Unless the show was wrong and rhegar did actually kidnap her.

Aerys II burned lord Rickard and killed Brandon after and because of Lyanna's abduction. Her abduction was the first, primal cause of the subsequent rebellion.

16 hours ago, Belizarie said:

Westeros Royal Mail was on strike? Seriously, sending a letter in a medieval society isn't that easy. But that doesn't really matter. Looks like Ned at least knew anyway. Doesn't change a thing, though. They needed her father's consent, so it counts as an abduction and subsequent rape no matter what.

Maybe she was actually kidnapped and wasn't allowed to send messages. Even if she liked being kidnapped she would probably want to inform her family that she is fine and that they don't need to start war over it. 

30 minutes ago, Tygett Lannister said:

Maybe she was actually kidnapped and wasn't allowed to send messages. Even if she liked being kidnapped she would probably want to inform her family that she is fine and that they don't need to start war over it. 

That's not what the war was about though and Lyanna had zero ability to effect it on any level once she's gone with Rhaegar, kidnapped or otherwise.  The moment Aerys called for the heads Robert and Eddard the War was on.  There was no coming back from that.

1 hour ago, Darksnider05 said:

That's not what the war was about though and Lyanna had zero ability to effect it on any level once she's gone with Rhaegar, kidnapped or otherwise.  The moment Aerys called for the heads Robert and Eddard the War was on.  There was no coming back from that.

Well doesn't changes that she would probably try to prevent war/her brother father getting killed. I'm not saying her mail would prevent, but that she would attempt it if she could. 

15 hours ago, Belizarie said:

Aerys II burned lord Rickard and killed Brandon after and because of Lyanna's abduction. Her abduction was the first, primal cause of the subsequent rebellion.

Yes it was the "first" offense so to speak but brandon stark went there threatening and demanding rhegaars head and such and aerys took him prisoner. Up to this point the war could have been avoided. Then aerys called in  brandon starks father and several banner man of his who were the fathers of the other prisoners he had taken that had come with brandon stark. When aerys executed them that was the point of no return when it came to roberts rebellion. Yes afterwards aerys called for ned and roberts head but by this point aerys had gone too far and the north would have had to rebel and once the north took the plunge other lords who had ALOT of grievances with aerys would do the same and that would be the war that would be called roberts rebellion. So while lyanna either being kidnapped by rhegar or running off with him was what started the ball rolling so to speak it wasn't until aerys burned lord stark that it got to the point of no return.

Archived