Seeing the bigger bigger picture.

Being an uncompromising dick surrounds you with too many enemies, bending too much removes all faith from your allies, being a spiteful cunt burns you in the end, showing mercy to enemies who still hate you or still have cause to feel jealousy is a recipe for disaster, callous and psychotic brutality for shits and giggles is dumb and destructive for your own cause, ideology will always outlast people and the institutions they create, unless you engage in true and total annihilation of everyone that holds that ideology and its cause, being a sore loser is dumb(Balon....), breaking serious high stakes contracts is bad, keep an eye on your immediate rivals and your priorities straight and communicate with people(Robb....)

Cersei could have claimed regency for herself and nobody could or would have stopped her, but she overthrew Ned for little reason other than she didn't like him. She then proceeded to threaten to burn everything around her down to the ground because Daddy told her to stopped being a stupid, spoiled little shit. "But muh arranged forced patriarchy marriage of rape and awfulness" nice modern based argument, not too many women get paid in the literal wealth of a continent spanning kingdom as the price for a kid or two.

Robb could have kept the war going and been a serious pain in the ass for the Iron Throne had he kept Theon, sent his mother home, married Roslin and pulled out of the Westerlands after he smashed Stafford and looted a bit, and then redeployed back to the Riverlands and resolved the raiding and then engaged his own, better managed raiding.

Balon.....just.....let it fucking go

Theon could have grabbed the Stark boys, the Frey boys and the Reed boy and girl and took them back to the Iron Islands, coming home with a massive bounty of hostages whose worth outscores any loot anybody else got at the time.

Stannis could have marched into King's Landing with a small army and saved his brothers life. Renly could have seized regency too, possibly even saved Robert's life too. 

Lysa.....eh. Actually, for being in batshit crazy loony toon town and having taken over the place, she did amazingly well. Somebody bout to steal your precious baby? Kill his ass and bolt, and let the world burn outside. Oh I know, kill your accomplices to murder, ESPECIALLY if you love them. Oh uh, bad lesson, I guess?

Tywin. Show just a tiny bit of restraint, holy fuck. Pay attention as a father, FFS. How could your kids be making sex eyes right under your nose and you not realize this?!

Tyrion. There is no loyalty in a whore's cunt, you stupid sap. And while having friends in low places is a nice country song, its even better to have some in high places.

34 minutes ago, Vashon said:

dick ... cunt ... shits ... shit. ... pain in the ass ... fucking ... batshit crazy ... Kill his ass ... holy fuck.... FFS. ... making sex ... a whore's cunt, you stupid sap.

Wait, what was your point? I got distracted.

15 minutes ago, Seams said:

dick ... cunt ... shits ... shit. ... pain in the ass ... fucking ... batshit crazy ... Kill his ass ... holy fuck.... FFS. ... making sex ... a whore's cunt, you stupid sap.

Goodness gracious, protect my eyes.

Great day in the morning, @Seams what has happen to ya?

19 minutes ago, Seams said:

Wait, what was your point? I got distracted. 

The person had no point. In the US of A high schoolers and college students are on break.

On 5/17/2019 at 12:48 PM, Ser Loras The Gay said:

What is the point of A Song of Ice and Fire? I mean, what the books are trying to convey to us? It's a message about how bad wars are? It's a message about climate change? It's a message about greed and corruption and the need to end it? It's a message about magical beings being more worthy than humans?

What is the end goal? Defending the realm? Defending the world? Defending the throne? what's the humans on ASOIAF ultimate goal in their lives? It's all the scheeming and ploting? All the wars? It's trying to make peace and prosper?

The books are a fictional fantasy story. My personal opinion, yeah, it is about greed, envy, and those other seven deadly sins.

People somehow manage to justify and rationalize their free will choices.

On 5/18/2019 at 11:59 AM, OneFretfulTrout said:

That we are all half rotten onions?

I kinda agree..

32 minutes ago, Clegane'sPup said:

The books are a fictional fantasy story. My personal opinion, yeah, it is about greed, envy, and those other seven deadly sins.

People somehow manage to justify and rationalize their free will choices.

Yeah, and losing sight of what really matters.

George has always said that ASOIAF is about the human heart in conflict with itself, in this case against the backdrop of a medieval society. ASOIAF is a sprawling tale, and it has many different themes, including power, corruption, family, and ambition. Most of all, it's about the human condition, and why we do the things that we do. As someone who also loves history, that tends to be what keeps historians coming back for more. Above all else, history is about people.

8 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

George has always said that ASOIAF is about the human heart in conflict with itself, in this case against the backdrop of a medieval society. ASOIAF is a sprawling tale, and it has many different themes, including power, corruption, family, and ambition. Most of all, it's about the human condition, and why we do the things that we do. As someone who also loves history, that tends to be what keeps historians coming back for more. Above all else, history is about people.

So it's a fantasy about history. Pretty cool.

What is the point of A Song of Ice and Fire? I mean, what the books are trying to convey to us? It's a message about how bad wars are? It's a message about climate change? It's a message about greed and corruption and the need to end it? It's a message about magical beings being more worthy than humans?

What is the end goal? Defending the realm? Defending the world? Defending the throne? what's the humans on ASOIAF ultimate goal in their lives? It's all the scheeming and ploting? All the wars? It's trying to make peace and prosper?

I see the story as made up of many examples of the human heart leading to tragic consequences.  Our author seems to think this is the reason for most of human problems.  I don't necessarily agree but this fictional world is his creation.  I think George Martin suffered ptsd from his experiences in the Vietnam War and it greatly affected his perception of reality.  I know he was not on the battlefield but he was still very much a part of the war.  

The hippies say make love not war.  I guess that's good but it results in too many babies being born.  War reduces population.  War happens because we are all competing for the available resources.  It's not really about the human heart.  The way to reduce armed conflict is for the people who have the resources to share those resources equally with the ones who don't.  But that's not going to happen.  Humans compete for the same land in the middle east.  Islam wants to establish an islamic state in southeast asia on the island of Mindanao.  Fine except other people want to hold on to that land.  Conflict.  Our country will have more harmony if the millionaires all shared their wealth.  It won't happen.  There will be war as long as people compete for resources.  It's just the predicament.  Blame our creator, if you believe in one.  

13 hours ago, Universal Basic Income said:

I see the story as made up of many examples of the human heart leading to tragic consequences.  Our author seems to think this is the reason for most of human problems.  I don't necessarily agree but this fictional world is his creation.  I think George Martin suffered ptsd from his experiences in the Vietnam War and it greatly affected his perception of reality.  I know he was not on the battlefield but he was still very much a part of the war.  

No. Just no. 

On 5/22/2019 at 9:50 PM, Universal Basic Income said:

The author creates these dilemmas but does not provide the answer.  

The story is that characters do what they do, because --- fill in the blank.

Guess I could say humanity keeps doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

Basic tenets, faith, hope & charity vs power, greed and envy.

Tune in Sunday for the sermon.  :P

I don't believe it has one overly obvious message. It is a story about human nature and everything that encompasses that. It's about war, it's about conflict, it's about struggling, it's about overcoming, it's about growth and change, it's about evolution. 

What is the point of A Song of Ice and Fire?  To make money for the author.  To entertain the consumer.  

What message is the book conveying to us?  That violence is bad.  People focus too much on sex and ignore the violence.  The priorities are not in the right order.  

What is the end goal?  To survive is the immediate goal.  To survive and make the world as good of a place as possible for as many people as possible.  To think things through instead of acting on emotions.   

I mean, what the books are trying to convey to us?

I guess it's to value life.  Survive instead of throwing into unnecessary risk.  But sometimes, death is preferable to the agony of living. 

17 hours ago, Skahaz mo Kandaq said:

What message is the book conveying to us?  That violence is bad.  People focus too much on sex and ignore the violence.  The priorities are not in the right order.  

Most people think the book has this message. AffC is only about showing us the consequences of wars.

This story is a soap opera set in a medieval time period.  Each of the main characters have themes relevant to their arc.

Tyrion - Cynicism, alcohol abuse, lost love, insecurity.

Daenerys - Use of power, world building, destiny, and responsibility.  Much is expected from those whom much was given.

Jamie - Family, duty, redemption, honor.  Greater good vs. family.

Jon - Duty vs. Family, oaths vs. love.  

Arya - Justice, revenge, violence, trauma.  Identity crisis.  

Theon - Finding his place in this world, suffering, redemption.  How far can one go before they can no longer be redeemed?  Remembering who he is.  

I'm not saying these people will find redemption.  All I'm claiming is that carrot is dangled in front of their face and they can take it or not.

Archived