Should Martin have ended the War of Five Kings?

Tyrion1991

Nah, it wasn't Jon Arryn's murder that started the war, or Robert Baratheon's death, it was Tyrion getting kidnapped. If by sheer happenstance that doesn't happen, or Catelyn and her party are arrested and held at the Bloody Gate and turned over to King's men, the War of the Five King's as we know it comes to a screeching halt. 

Oh, how cute!

Because plot is Doylist reasoning, its also extremely poor reasoning

No. You see "plot" is the narrative sequence of a story and how according to cause and effect different events in a story affects other events in the same story. Its very common in writing.

He had a multitude of other, saner, safer, and just plain better options

Such as?

That lesson is ruined by making a discount Hannibal Lector

No. The lesson is brougth home by the use of a POV of Reek/Theon which allows us to see how awedul and inhuman this kind of conduct is an how deeply it affects a human being

This is the sticking point, where things start getting really backwards, also, addresses nothing

Don't worry. I do not hold it against you that you do not understand this.

Except it doesn't work, since that isn't the reason for what happens to Theon, its merely the reason he garners almost no sympathy

I can absolutely imagine that many primitive and bloodthirsty individuals see it this way.

taen e like he was, isn'h reason for word of that h to have not made it to Robb(makine assumptions here ring scheduling), isn't much reason for, while he was alive, Robb tamsay dead anyways or give ton, ATL, beyond "teehee pe and torture galllrstest gs in, E", for Rsy Sno to ever make it far enough to become a Bolton. Ramckstory for how he ended up at Winterfell mem even making it there at all  down fpoint.

I can't even make out what you're trying to tell me here.

Sheer bloody plotshielding because somebody was wacking a fat todger to the "time for some bad things to happen". Shit man, that Northern civil war is the kind of shit that should have Bolton forces under immediate suspicion while down south, and have Roose send orders to have Ramsay hunted down and executed.

Certainly in Gondor, most likely in Andor and probably pretty fast in Aloria. But not in Westeros as demonstrated by the events in the books.

Teleporting Eunuch of "Oh noes, I wrote myself into a corner". Like, Im reading the rest of the books, if they ever come out, but I am under no illusions that this is going to truly be, in terms of quality, the successor of Tolkien or George Lucas era Star Wars. To me, his Tuf Voyages are of outright high quality. Ill never touch Wheel of Time or Sword of Truth, having had them ruined for one reason or another, but A Song of Ice and Fire will always have a neat place in my heart. Just that last little bit at the end of that book.

Unfortunately its all that badass mystical backstory I like the most, and the inevitable "winter kills everything, swords can't stab a blizzard" ending that is coming to dash all the expectations of heroes saving the day.

Well I'm happy you like something about Asoiaf. :)

Archived