Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
divica

How people's reaction to this season affects grrm?

Recommended Posts

We have been told for years that the ending of GOT and asoiaf was similar. Given how disapointed people have been with the season so far and some of the characters arcs, if people also hate the final how will it affect grrm?

We know he doesn t change the story if people find out how things will turn out. But what if people dislike what he is writing? Will he spend several years writing a story that people hate the ending? Will he get depressed by people's reaction to the final season of GOT? Will he feel like he needs to change someting to make the story more likable? Or is his ending simply diferent?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, divica said:

We have been told for years that the ending of GOT and asoiaf was similar. Given how disapointed people have been with the season so far and some of the characters arcs, if people also hate the final how will it affect grrm?

We know he doesn t change the story if people find out how things will turn out. But what if people dislike what he is writing? Will he spend several years writing a story that people hate the ending? Will he get depressed by people's reaction to the final season of GOT? Will he feel like he needs to change someting to make the story more likable? Or is his ending simply diferent?

I hope he won't give a damn but tell his story as he wants it. But I also think he's watching the respose and will change his story for the fear that crazy fans will start harass him or even try violence on him due to not getting a suger-sweet and pristine "happily ever after" ending to the series.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It will affect him in a deep manner I could imagine. He will be going from "not writing the books" to "definitively not writing the books. Hey look, another deal with HBO.". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, T and A said:

It will affect him in a deep manner I could imagine. He will be going from "not writing the books" to "definitively not writing the books. Hey look, another deal with HBO.". 

Will HBO really be doing the GOT prequels after this season?

4 hours ago, Lion of the West said:

I hope he won't give a damn but tell his story as he wants it. But I also think he's watching the respose and will change his story for the fear that crazy fans will start harass him or even try violence on him due to not getting a suger-sweet and pristine "happily ever after" ending to the series.

Come on, nobody is going to harm grrm… But personally I hope that if necessary he changes some things. What is the point of spending his life writing asoiaf if people end up hating the series because of the ending? If he realizes people hate what he has planed why write it anyway? It is the end, it should satisfy people...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, divica said:

Will HBO really be doing the GOT prequels after this season?

That is the question, isn't it? GoT is the biggest succes on Television so far. But on the other hand, it has one of the worst endings one could imagine, but still a financial succes. If I were HBO, I would make the Pilot, look at the response, and decide then. Which is what they will probably do. Will the series continue after the Pilot or after Season 1? Hard to tell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think he's in the best possible position, he gets to rake in the money from the show, and then again when he releases the books, because people will buy it in droves so they can get the real ending.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/18/2019 at 1:24 PM, divica said:

We have been told for years that the ending of GOT and asoiaf was similar. Given how disapointed people have been with the season so far and some of the characters arcs, if people also hate the final how will it affect grrm?

We know he doesn t change the story if people find out how things will turn out. But what if people dislike what he is writing? Will he spend several years writing a story that people hate the ending? Will he get depressed by people's reaction to the final season of GOT? Will he feel like he needs to change someting to make the story more likable? Or is his ending simply diferent?

I don't think he has any reason to worry. His ending should be sufficiently different.  If there is any similarity at all it will be in the result, i.e. which characters live and which characters die. King's Landing might burn down in the books too, but it's more likely somebody like Cersei using wildfire. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Darryk said:

I think he's in the best possible position, he gets to rake in the money from the show, and then again when he releases the books, because people will buy it in droves so they can get the real ending.

I don t know if the show won t affect the book sales…

Not only will people know how most of the characters end but they might hate it or feel there is no pay of to the story… Several people won t care about the books anymore...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Loge said:

I don't think he has any reason to worry. His ending should be sufficiently different.  If there is any similarity at all it will be in the result, i.e. which characters live and which characters die. King's Landing might burn down in the books too, but it's more likely somebody like Cersei using wildfire. 

But he has been saying that the ending of the books will be similar to the show for years… Unless he gives interviews post GOT saying there will be diferences people will just assume that the endings are the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, divica said:

Come on, nobody is going to harm grrm… But personally I hope that if necessary he changes some things. What is the point of spending his life writing asoiaf if people end up hating the series because of the ending? If he realizes people hate what he has planed why write it anyway? It is the end, it should satisfy people...

I'd like to be certain that no one would hurt GRRM due to him not writing what people wants, but its a risk that GRRM must take into account.

The thing with an ending that people end up hating is that for the first part, it will allow GRRM to write the story he wants to tell, not the story that some fans tries to force him to tell them. The creative freedom of the artist to create the art that the artist wants to create without censure. Some people may reject that art and some may embrace it, but in the end GRRM would know its what he wanted to create and not what someone else told him to create. And really, as a person who gav up on fantasy many years ago but came in again now due to the hopes that GRRM has lit in my heart, why must a literary work be an experience of immediete gratification for the reader? I hope that GRRM does not take the easy road of the by-the-dozen fantasy novels and churn out a "happy ever after and all the ills of the world done away with" kind of ending. If there's an intellectual challenge for people with questions raised by the work and a message for the reader to think about, then all the better. 

The way I've come to understand it, this is GRRM's life work and will probably be the greatest legacy he leaves behind after he is released from this mortal coil. And I would imagine that he, or at least I would in his place, want that legacy to be of some depth, meaning and put his skills as an author on display for the ages to judge them, not for them to be applauded today and obscure and half-forgotten in twenty years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, divica said:

But he has been saying that the ending of the books will be similar to the show for years… Unless he gives interviews post GOT saying there will be diferences people will just assume that the endings are the same.

People who have been reading the books should know that the endings can only be "the same" in a very generic way. And of course GRRM didn't know how the show was going to end. He merely expressed his confidence in the show runners to bring the story to a similar outcome. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IIRC, GRRM wrote the episode where Ramsay says this. We were all warned fair and square when Ned got his head chopped off. The books are also going darker and not just for Dany. See the TWOW Aeron chapter. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Lollygag said:

IIRC, GRRM wrote the episode where Ramsay says this. We were all warned fair and square when Ned got his head chopped off. The books are also going darker and not just for Dany. See the TWOW Aeron chapter. 

 

I don't think this is really GRRM. He just recently made a Twitter Account. That post is from 2013.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Lollygag said:

IIRC, GRRM wrote the episode where Ramsay says this. We were all warned fair and square when Ned got his head chopped off. The books are also going darker and not just for Dany. See the TWOW Aeron chapter. 

 

He was talking about torturing theon. It doesn t mean anything for the finale of the series...

25 minutes ago, Lion of the West said:

I hope that GRRM does not take the easy road of the by-the-dozen fantasy novels and churn out a "happy ever after and all the ills of the world done away with" kind of ending. If there's an intellectual challenge for people with questions raised by the work and a message for the reader to think about, then all the better. 

I think here you are confunsing things. People wanting a satisfying end doesn t mean everybody lives happily ever after. I think people want to feel coomfortable with the end of the series and while that implies some happyness for some characters it doesn t mean there won t be sadness… And another important thing is that we have to feel that the story was worth it. That it had meaning within the planetos...

I just don t feel that watching the show...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, T and A said:

I don't think this is really GRRM. He just recently made a Twitter Account. That post is from 2013.

Ah, you're right! Thanks for making me aware of that. 

George RR Martin

@GeorgeRRMartin_

The writer of tales and the singer of the song of Ice and Fire. Not affiliated with GRRM

 

 

All the same, my point stands. GRRM isn't in the business of feel-good stories and it's a huge reading comprehension fail to be under the impression that he is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Lollygag said:

Ah, you're right! Thanks for making me aware of that. 

George RR Martin

@GeorgeRRMartin_

The writer of tales and the singer of the song of Ice and Fire. Not affiliated with GRRM

 

 

All the same, my point stands. GRRM isn't in the business of feel-good stories and it's a huge reading comprehension fail to be under the impression that he is. 

Don't need to be that cocky. I just know that GRRM just made a Twitter Account last year. There were a lot of people out there with a GRRM Account, non of them being GRRM. Maybe I am wrong, hence "I don't think", not "It is not". Either way, I didn't even stated your point doesn't stands. Calm down, or take something to cool you down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, T and A said:

Don't need to be that cocky. I just know that GRRM just made a Twitter Account last year. There were a lot of people out there with a GRRM Account, non of them being GRRM. Maybe I am wrong, hence "I don't think", not "It is not". Either way, I didn't even stated your point doesn't stands. Calm down, or take something to cool you down.

Pointing out that I'm wrong and you're right is me being cocky? That's a new one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, divica said:

He was talking about torturing theon. It doesn t mean anything for the finale of the series...

You've had 5000+ pages of fair warning for how this world works. The ending will be organic to what we've been given so far. 

Edited by Lollygag

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lion of the West said:

I hope that GRRM does not take the easy road of the by-the-dozen fantasy novels and churn out a "happy ever after and all the ills of the world done away with" . If there's an intellectual challenge for people with questions raised by the work and a message for the reader to think about, then all the better. 

People, at least people in this forum, are not clamoring for a happy-ever-after ending.  Folks seem to want an ending that makes sense, and logically fits into the story.  Martin tells stories that have internal logic.  Even if Martin wants to end the series with Bron or Sweet Robin or Pod ruling everything, there will be pages of rationale for why that happens.  A good author gives the reader the reasons why for events in the story.

Here at the end, the show seems to be throwing stuff at us, while completely ignoring other unanswered problems it gave us earlier.  It feels rushed, like ending the Odyssey and Iliad with the words  ...and Odysseus got home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He had 10-11 years to finish the story when he signed off the TV show. ADWD came out the summer Season 1 ended in 2011. Since then he completely squandered his time, getting into a panic around S5 knowing the show was heading towards the finish line before him. He set some deadlines and completely missed them. Now it's 2019 and the last episode of GOT airs tomorrow night, concluding A song of Ice and Fire. His story that he hasn't got to even tell himself. The backlash from fans has been growing more and more the last few years. Its going to reach a boiling point and he will just throw his hands up and say screw it. Not like there was a chance of A Dream of Spring every being released since he hasn't even started it. 

 

On top of that fans disliking the ending? Thats not going to go down well but at least it will make sense in the books. We don't know how much is just fan-fiction which so much of GOT has become. If you saw the episode of Brienne fighting the Hound, Jon going to Hardhome and Littlefinger marrying Sansa to Ramsey would you believe it happens in the books?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×