Final decision: Was Cersei pregnant?

Nerevanin

A lot of people speculated if Cersei truly is, or isn't pregnant. Now Cersei is 99.9% likely dead and she can't give birth to the child she claimed to expect. There is no one who can confirm the pregnancy for sure.

So what is your final opinion about her pregnancy? Was it just another scheme of Cersei how to make first Jaime and then Euron loyal to her, as there was an apparent lack of her growing belly? Or was she really pregnant?

I'm seriously perplexed by the pregnancy plot. Up until The Bells I had thought that she had suffered a miscarriage, judging by her wine-drinking and tearful facial reaction to Euron saying he will "put a prince in her belly". However, in the end, I guess she was pregnant for real, as when faced with her death all she could think about was that she wanted for her and her baby to live. Makes no sense, but maybe it does. Maybe we are overthinking it and the "mystery" surrounding her pregnancy was never there. I guess we'll never find out, unless she rises from the rubble.

The only reason for her pregnancy in the show is the effect on Tyrion's actions and Jaime's decision to return if she doesn't live. Even if she survives there's little point in her having a baby at all. Or they hastily tied the loose ends to fit the prophecy and emphasized the loss: "cast you down and take everything you hold dear".

There could be sequels though with a new generation. Both Cersei and Brienne giving birth to Jaime's children. Dany, Arya, Sansa fighting their off-spring.

From the first time she told Jaime she was pregnant, I was convinced that she was lying, but in episode 5 she tells Jaime that she doesn't want their baby to die, and what would be the point in lying at that point, or even just bringing it up if she wasn't. 

2 hours ago, Deminelle said:

The only reason for her pregnancy in the show is the effect on Tyrion's actions and Jaime's decision to return if she doesn't live. Even if she survives there's little point in her having a baby at all. Or they hastily tied the loose ends to fit the prophecy and emphasized the loss: "cast you down and take everything you hold dear".

There could be sequels though with a new generation. Both Cersei and Brienne giving birth to Jaime's children. Dany, Arya, Sansa fighting their off-spring.

So in other words, Cersei being pregnant is the reason she got a lame death? (Jaime not killing her).

Wish there was a scene where she acknowledges that she had a miscarriage (e.g. bleeding down there, agony, pain, etc) between the time she leaves the Mountain and meets with Jamie. Would've made her end more dramatic.

3 hours ago, Euron III Greyjoy said:

From the first time she told Jaime she was pregnant, I was convinced that she was lying, but in episode 5 she tells Jaime that she doesn't want their baby to die, and what would be the point in lying at that point, or even just bringing it up if she wasn't. 

I was convinced of the same.  And had the same questions re. her line in Ep 5.  Maybe she tried to use it to motivate Jamie?  But it doesn't come across that way.

6 hours ago, Nerevanin said:

A lot of people speculated if Cersei truly is, or isn't pregnant. Now Cersei is 99.9% likely dead and she can't give birth to the child she claimed to expect. There is no one who can confirm the pregnancy for sure.

So what is your final opinion about her pregnancy? Was it just another scheme of Cersei how to make first Jaime and then Euron loyal to her, as there was an apparent lack of her growing belly? Or was she really pregnant?

I think she was, there was no point on lying to Jaime in her final moments.

1 hour ago, Kaguya said:

So in other words, Cersei being pregnant is the reason she got a lame death? (Jaime not killing her).

Do we know she's dead yet? If she is, the death was lame. She might still be alive – only to get a more gruesome ending.

Maybe she will beg for mercy for her unborn child.

I agree with all of you who said that she was indeed pregnant, except I was pretty sure for quite some time that she wasn't lying about it.

7 hours ago, venusboy said:

I'm seriously perplexed by the pregnancy plot. Up until The Bells I had thought that she had suffered a miscarriage, judging by her wine-drinking and tearful facial reaction to Euron saying he will "put a prince in her belly". However, in the end, I guess she was pregnant for real, as when faced with her death all she could think about was that she wanted for her and her baby to live. Makes no sense, but maybe it does. Maybe we are overthinking it and the "mystery" surrounding her pregnancy was never there. I guess we'll never find out, unless she rises from the rubble.

7 hours ago, Kaguya said:

If it wasn’t going anywhere, then what was the point?

5 hours ago, Apoplexy said:

I think she was indeed pregnant on the show and Jaime was the father. I can't figure out the why of it. And I don't expect the show to explain it in the final episode either.

Yeah, the reason why even bother to make her pregnant would be nice to know. I have two teories:

1) She was pregnant so Tyrion & co. have something to use as an argument while trying to convince Cersei to surrender.

2) She was pregnant so she looks even more like a victim during her final scenes.

I think she was. There’s no way of knowing that she wasn’t, so why wouldn’t she be? 

Story-wise I think it would be a lot more powerful for Dany to be pregnant. Would make it even harder for Jon to figure out how to deal with her. 

Cersei was pregnant, but ultimately her pregnancy was simply a plot device to cause Tyrion to act in her (and Jamie's) interest more than he otherwise would've for the last 7 episodes. 

2 hours ago, Nerevanin said:

I agree with all of you who said that she was indeed pregnant, except I was pretty sure for quite some time that she wasn't lying about it.

I was too. I thought she was lying to manipulate Jaime. If she wasn't then I expected Jaime to not be the father. My thoughts were that she was sleeping with Euron for his fleet and he was the father. I don't know if you've read the books, but in the books if she does happen to be pregnant, there's a reason why Jaime most likely isn't the father.

2 hours ago, Nerevanin said:

Yeah, the reason why even bother to make her pregnant would be nice to know. I have two teories:

1) She was pregnant so Tyrion & co. have something to use as an argument while trying to convince Cersei to surrender.

2) She was pregnant so she looks even more like a victim during her final scenes.

The show runners have a weird fascination with Cersei's character. So my guess is #2. I remember saying at the end of season 7 that it makes Jaime look pretty terrible leaving a pregnant cersei. People are bound to forget how bad she really is. I'm guessing it was done to make the audience sympathetic to her

1 hour ago, MinscS2 said:

Cersei was pregnant, but ultimately her pregnancy was simply a plot device to cause Tyrion to act in her (and Jamie's) interest more than he otherwise would've for the last 7 episodes. 

IMO, it is quite clear this was the reason for her pregnancy. I was always sure she was either pregnant or believed she was. And given that in the end, she was crying and saying that she wanted their baby to live, and she had a maester to confirm the pregnancy, I believe she actually was.

In a few hours we'll know for sure whether the Lannister siblings survived or not. Just where rubble blocked the exit there was an explosion so I'm still expecting their survival.

If their dialogue indeed was the last we get of them, I guess Jaime's "look at me look at me" is the answer to his final question if there is a baby or not. Here is why: 

Cersei started her fuss about wanting their baby to survive. Jaime had left her ("I don't believe you."), then fought a battle to ensure a future and came back after Tyrion so much trusted on this aleged knowledge. Jaime now demands that Cersei looks him in the eye. She does reluctantly and only then corrects herself that she is afraid of her own death. They hug. Only one episode before Jaime-parallel Jon took notice of Gilly's pregnancy by hugging her.

So Jaime understood she wasn't pregnant.

Archived