[Spoilers] Rant & Rave without Repercussion, Final edition

Ran

2 minutes ago, JonCon's Red Beard said:

There is no way it won't have a meaning, at least minimal, in the books. Here, it's like everybody forgot.

IT will be important to give him either some magical ability or political influence.

5 minutes ago, JonCon's Red Beard said:

The funniest part about the ancestry of Jon being completely irrelevant is that this was, allegedly, what landed them the job. That they figured it out.

I'm actually laughing IRL right now while typing.

Actually makes me wonder if R+L=J really is true. I would be really disappointed with GRRM is it is true and only used as a plot device to push Dany over the edge, as in the show.  So either they just completely butchered his storyline, or it's a red herring.

Just now, Wild Bill said:

OK, let's all calm down...

Let's look at how bad it could have been. 

An emergency broadcast that a death-meteor was imminent and the world was going to end (excepting cockroaches, of course).

The happy ending we all craved (secretly) where all the stars settle into a bourgeois life, punctuated with some spice, like life-partners Jamie and Briene occasionally having Tormund over for a threesome - and if Dany is feeling especially frisky, a foursome...

I mean, the North Koreans could have hacked the broadcast substituting Thai adult-diaper advertisements. Oh wait, this one actually would have been good...

Honestly, I would have preferred the death-meteor.

I can just see Bran's first decision he has to make as king:

Lord Blackwood:  My Grace, Lord Bracken just burned my crops and set his knights on my peasant folk, raping and pillaging.

King Bran:  Yes, I watched, it was as it was meant to be.

Lord Blackwood:  Aren't you going to do something about this?

King Bran:  Perhaps the best punishment is for me to do nothing, or perhaps not.  What will be will be.  

Lord Blackwood:  Screw this, can we do a redo of this vote thing?  I mean over half of the guys at the council were your family and friends, what the hell.  How come the fat boy and the butch girl even got to vote?  

How is Bran not being viewed as a totally evil little dick. He instigated nearly all of that shit and they elect him king? Bran the Broken browser of medieval wheelchair designs, it's dreadful. Who would enjoy this ending other than Sophie Turner???

1 minute ago, JonCon's Red Beard said:

There is no way it won't have a meaning, at least minimal, in the books. Here, it's like everybody forgot.

Rather conveniently, one has to say, considering THAT HIS FUCKING PARENTAGE WAS WHAT MADE DANY JEALOUS AND ANGRY IN THE FIRST PLACE!

HOW IS THAT SUDDENLY JUST IRRELEVANT!?

If nobody gives a damn - and Dany's armies would have never given a damn, anyway - then why was this so important. Why did Dany even want to rule with him in the end when she didn't want to do it last week?

This is all so nonsensical.

5 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

Caligula's murderers were, in part, members of the Praetorian guard. It was his German bodyguard that was fiercely loyal to him.

There is a reason why this shit show didn't cover the aftermath of Dany's murder - but one does wonder how Grey Worm does know that she got a knife in the heart, no?

Because that's what was in the script.

And who wouldn't want some cripple on the throne who never says a word.

By the way - I could really throttle those morons for stealing ELISSA FARMAN's plot from FaB. No idea if they actually stole it, of course, but giving Arya the arbitrary and nonsensical motivation to leave Westeros is just a cheap cop-out.

You're quite right.  German and Varangian warriors generally took their oaths of loyalty to Emperors very seriously, as I expect the Unsullied would have done too.

But this is just stupid.  Either Jon told him, in which case he Grey Worm would have cut him down then and there, or he would have figured out very rapidly that she had been murdered.  Queens don't just disappear.

Shouldn't Daenerys have had, like, a Queensguard? But no. She just wanders the Red Keep with zero body guards. And after Jon had warned Tyrion not wander around in the Red Keep because "it's not safe"  So stupid. 

Ah well probably the least of this episodes problems. 

Lord Commander Brienne writing Jaime a flattering eulogy in the White Book would've been a great ending to his story... if only the two preceding episodes hadn't voided his entire character arc in the show.

For fuck's sake D&D. For fuck's sake.

So let me preface by saying I am a fan of the show, and for the most part enjoyed all of Seasons 1-7.

I somewhat enjoyed episode 1 of season 8, but pretty much disliked episodes 2-6. Probably as most have mentioned, it seemed rushed, with to much changing too quickly.

I initially was not impressed with the way the episode started, but appreciated the cinematography and music. I think Jon killing Dany the way he did, and then Drogon burning the iron throne was fitting.

The court scene was adequate. I guess I was annoyed with just the way things ended up with my first knee jerk reaction not happy the ways things unfolded.

HOWEVER, now that I reflect on the ending, I am thoroughly impressed. The wheel is broken. No longer does genetic lineage make a difference. I guess we all want the happy ending and have 'the one true king' that is a blend of fire and ice, but if that was the case, the wheel would just continue. What they did do, however was to have the classic tragic hero in Jon Snow. He had no control on how he was born, all he wanted was a mothers love (and family's love), but gets banished to the Nights watch (with all its restrictions), finds love, loses love, dies, gets resurrected, fights endlessly for his 'family' and honors the oath of being a protector of the realms and men. He becomes a 'Queens' slayer', saves the realm multiple times, and at the end, gets banished to the night watch again by his own 'family' for the benefit of the realm and never to have a wife or kids (again).

I get a tear in my eye when I think of general human nature and how hard it is to self sacrifice, and what a person must endure to do so. What makes it harder is to be asked to endure again and again for the benefit of others and at the end have no recognition for it.

Maybe not the ending we 'wanted' but certainly a very creative and I think they succeeded with the tragic hero angle.

1 minute ago, SeanF said:

But this is just stupid.  Either Jon told him, in which case he Grey Worm would have cut him down then and there, or he would have figured out very rapidly that she had been murdered.  Queens don't just disappear.

How, the dragon is gone, too. And he isn't dead. Who is Jon to question the will of the most sublime queen? She could have decided to fly to Dragonstone for some reason, or whatever.

This was the most easiest regicide to hide, ever.

So, Bran is like Daenys the Dreamer?

I am so confused. Wasn't he supposed to be the last chapter in ADoS? Wasn't there a story between GRRM and one of the illustrators, regarding the first Bran AGoT chapter, and things that should prove to be of importance at the very end of the series? 

Is Jon AA because he helped the transition from Fire to Ice (Targs to Starks)?

So, heroes (Starks) ascended. Bad people are dead. 

Okay... I guess.

10 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Ok, can we now at least bury the Jonsa insanity FOREVER and never ever ever hear of it ever again? :lol:

I bow down to your wisdom and ability to see the good.  Hell, even Sansa was celebrating the death of Jonsa with that Heathen like Weirwood Gown of Untrustworthness.  :lmao:

43 minutes ago, StoneColdJorahMormont said:

Did the Dothraki just cease to exist?  I know the unsullied were offered land but chose to sail to the isle, but the Dothraki just disappeared End game style... maybe they followed their Queen/Drogon

Famous rapers who have a defenseless city to themselves and they hate ships.

Yet they are calmly walking around in the final shot near the ships.

Frankly, I don't think D&D even considered their existence after howling in front of the queen.

59 minutes ago, Hedgehog1977 said:

So. This was the last point on the list of bad writing they hadn't ticked off yet...

70 frickin' minutes of exposition sold as "dialogue", my a***! *THAT* was painful.

That off my chest, edited to add:

I liked Drogon melting down the throne - for I was right about that, just the circumstances were different. On the other hand, I always thought this was easy to predict.

The rest of Daeny's "closure" - just disappointing, laughable even. She sounded part Hitler, part ISIS, stir well and add other stereotype evil dictator to taste... God, I thought Fantasy was past "evil orcs" and "chicks in chainmail". *sigh*

One thing I liked was Brienne as King's Guard, and the small council meeting was a moment of respite from cringing.

Bottom line, there's no need to get S8 on DVD, my personal version concludes with the Night King breaking the Wall - and perhaps, in a couple months, when the pain finally subsides, I'll think of an ending I would have liked, with characters getting somewhat more satisfying endings to their arcs.

Why wouldn't Brienne be kings guard for Sansa though? Thought she was sworn to her. 

Archived