[Spoilers] Rant & Rave without Repercussion, Final edition

Ran

1 hour ago, Anthony Pirtle said:

The first half was pretty much what I expected. The second half was ridiculous.

And now our watch begins for novels that might make better sense of the ending.

Hear hear

1 minute ago, LHakaLH said:

I think it should be much worse than any of those shows. Sort of like Heroes, where there is really no point later on because nothing makes any sense anymore.

The re-watch value of this thing should very quickly drop to zero. There are no twists anymore, nothing to keep you occupied or interested, nothing to distract you from the shitty dialogue and plot holes.

I'd be very surprised if anyone who knows this show would bother to re-watch in a year from now, and I'm pretty sure that it is not going to be a show many people are going to recommend to others in a decade or so as a classic - because not only the ending but half or more of the seasons simply suck.

*I* Came up with the name "Battle of the Goldroad"!  Because "Loot Train Attack" was idiotic!

https://gameofthrones.fandom.com/wiki/The_Iron_Throne?diff=410669&oldid=410559

*When Brienne is updating Jaime Lannister's entry in the White Book, she writes that he fought in the "[[Battle of the Goldroad]]" - a name invented by ''Game of Thrones Wiki'' itself. In behind the scenes videos from Season 7, the showrunners didn't bother to give it a formal, in-universe name, and just referred to it as "the Loot Train Attack" (capitalized) in production materials. Various review sites also pointed out it would be silly to consider this an in-universe name. After several rounds of discussion, the ''Game of Thrones Wiki'' Administrators invented on their own the in-universe name "Battle of the Goldroad" - on the logic that they were stated to be crossing the [[Blackwater Rush|Blackwater River]], but were not within sight of King's Landing, and the only other crossing is father upstream from the city, where the [[Goldroad]] crosses over it. This means that the TV writers must have read this very wiki ''itself'' to copy the name the Administrative staff invented, because they never came up with their own in-universe name for it.

They read the damned Wiki?!  

11 minutes ago, StoneColdJorahMormont said:

But that's exactly what going on right now... but with Starks in control of all 7 Kingdoms ?

Bran has the South 6 and Sansa the North 1

This season I've grown to like Sansa and Sophie Turner's performance, but her saying that should cause every other Kingdom to wonder 'wait, if they can do it, why can't we?' Especially Dorne, the last of the Seven Kingdoms to join the fold and have always been different compared to the other lands and the Iron Islands (Balon literally rose up in rebellion after Robert overthrew the Targaryen reign because 'If Robert can be King, why can't I?!')

You can't have Tyrion basically tell Jon, 'Well, sorry bro, you've got to take the black and go to the wall because politics' and then just nod sagely as Sansa explains how the North will not be part of the Seven Kingdoms any longer. 

It's just furthering the possibility of another Great War to unify and conquer Westeros. So everything is going to be fine and dandy, everyone following these characters are going to be totally cool with the way things were. This was Stark fanboy-service for Sansa, but they did her character so dirty. "Bro, the north should be free", what kind of complex negotiation powers or politicking were even needed for that? What has she fought for? Of all the things that shocked and disgusted me about the way they wrote this ending, that was the biggest thing. "North independency" was straight up fan service and why would the other major lords/houses accept two Stark rulers in Westeros ?

18 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

Elective monarchy, like the HRE. Not even remotely a democracy.

But even that goes completely against the way of life of the Westerosi, and an elective monarchy where the ruler could come from a different house each time would cause even greater problems than they had with the dynastic principle. Whenever a king grew feeble and old everybody would try to put themselves into position to seize the throne.

Vice versa, any children of a monarch after Bran would try to succeed their father, meaning that they would try to reestablish the hereditary monarchy.

Even more importantly, what about any children of Sansa's? They could technically succeed Bran as nephews? But are they now even eligible to vote/get elected considering that the North is independent now? I don't think that Sansa and whoever succeeds her would ever again have a vote down south.

Yeah. This confusion and hand waving is what I was getting at. It just doesn’t make any sense the way it was done, and the lack of real dialogue didn’t help any. 

Then again, Bran seems to be letting his council runs things while he flies. :rolleyes:

9 minutes ago, D2procon said:

It’s upsetting to me that Davos offered The Reach to the Unsullied to start a lineage BECAUSE THEY DONT HAVE PENISES.

Point not taken lol

1 minute ago, The Dragon Demands said:

*I* Came up with the name "Battle of the Goldroad"!  Because "Loot Train Attack" was idiotic!

What do you expect? They don't read the books, that's for sure ;-).

1 minute ago, The Dragon Demands said:

I think is clear the only thing they've read is the wikis.

2 minutes ago, sifth said:

It still makes no sense though; Bran is a Stark.

I'm confused what you mean, I pointed out that all control is held by all the starks as it stands ? and you have replied it makes no sense.. Bran is a Stark.... 

I was quoting the person that said it would have been best if it had been Dany and Jon as they are related and could have formed an alliance.... and I said this is exactly what we do have except its Bran and Sansa... and its not a bad thing to get things rolling...

It keeps Westeros safer until Bran dies or is replaced at the next vote... and hopefully when the lords of Westeros have seen how peaceful  it worked out they would seek to replicate it with a similar ruler to pair with the Starks of the North... might not be a direct relation but a house with a close bond.. maybe a Tully.

52 minutes ago, divica said:

jon killing danny and drogon burning them together with jon holding her dead body close to him would have been much better.

I JUST NOTICED ONE THING!

THE 7 KINGDOMS CHOSE A STARK AS KING even though the north separates from the 7 kingdoms! WHY IS A NORTHERN ABLE TO BE KING OF THE 6 KINGDOMS IF THE NORTH DOESN T MAKE PART OF THE 6 KINGDOMS?

Because they destroyed his character a long ago but he still deserves at least some recognition, and him fucking rule over everyone, even if it was the imp who created it. I knew that they would make a shooooocking twist with Bran, after not having used him at all during two seasons apart from breaking Meera's heart.

2 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

What do you expect? They don't read the books, that's for sure ;-).

My current mental state is the climactic scene from "Der Untergang" where Hitler Is Informed that Steiner was unable to make his last-ditch counter-attack, thus Berlin - and the war - truly are lost.

Also, Bran's "election" was technically super rigged given that his Uncle, his brother's best friend, his 2 sisters and his cousin made up 5 votes. Why would Dorne and the Iron Islands, who had pledged to serve Dany, be like 'sure, no prob' to the overwhelming Stark power?

11 minutes ago, JonCon's Red Beard said:

I can see an independent North in the books, but Martin actually knows how to craft it right.

The ending in the show feels rushed because several characters are lacking many interactions. Dany will likely meet Aegon and Victarion (even Arianne?), giving everything more meaning. I really doubt she will be the one burning KL either.

Even if the books have this ending, we're gonna have waaaaay more context and I'm sure it wil make no sense. Again, as I've said before, two people doing the same action is not the same if the context is different.

Concur. the loss of context is great. We habe tyrion and Bran speaking once on film and all of a sudden his right choice as ruler?

Archived