[Spoilers] Rant & Rave without Repercussion, Final edition

Ran

1 hour ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

Motherf*cking Cersei gets a nice indirect eulogy in the book of the Kingsguard but Daenerys is killed in the arms of her lover because she dared to do something completely different.

This is bullshit.

She dared to do what Cersei did, only on a wider scale. 

4 hours ago, Frey family reunion said:

Honestly, I would have preferred the death-meteor.

I can just see Bran's first decision he has to make as king:

Lord Blackwood:  My Grace, Lord Bracken just burned my crops and set his knights on my peasant folk, raping and pillaging.

King Bran:  Yes, I watched, it was as it was meant to be.

Lord Blackwood:  Aren't you going to do something about this?

King Bran:  Perhaps the best punishment is for me to do nothing, or perhaps not.  What will be will be.  

Lord Blackwood:  Screw this, can we do a redo of this vote thing?  I mean over half of the guys at the council were your family and friends, what the hell.  How come the fat boy and the butch girl even got to vote?  

This is so point on..... Dam that's funny. creative to and so right on point. 

1 hour ago, SeanF said:

The Triumph of the Will scene was certainly spectacular, but it went further to trash Dany's character.

She was Daenerys Targaryen, not Ilse Targaryen, She Wolf of the SS

Hers was allegedly a struggle for all humanity, not just Germans. I think of her more like a Space Tyrant. 

4 hours ago, xerostomia said:

So let me preface by saying I am a fan of the show, and for the most part enjoyed all of Seasons 1-7.

I somewhat enjoyed episode 1 of season 8, but pretty much disliked episodes 2-6. Probably as most have mentioned, it seemed rushed, with to much changing too quickly.

I initially was not impressed with the way the episode started, but appreciated the cinematography and music. I think Jon killing Dany the way he did, and then Drogon burning the iron throne was fitting.

The court scene was adequate. I guess I was annoyed with just the way things ended up with my first knee jerk reaction not happy the ways things unfolded.

HOWEVER, now that I reflect on the ending, I am thoroughly impressed. The wheel is broken. No longer does genetic lineage make a difference. I guess we all want the happy ending and have 'the one true king' that is a blend of fire and ice, but if that was the case, the wheel would just continue. What they did do, however was to have the classic tragic hero in Jon Snow. He had no control on how he was born, all he wanted was a mothers love (and family's love), but gets banished to the Nights watch (with all its restrictions), finds love, loses love, dies, gets resurrected, fights endlessly for his 'family' and honors the oath of being a protector of the realms and men. He becomes a 'Queens' slayer', saves the realm multiple times, and at the end, gets banished to the night watch again by his own 'family' for the benefit of the realm and never to have a wife or kids (again).

I get a tear in my eye when I think of general human nature and how hard it is to self sacrifice, and what a person must endure to do so. What makes it harder is to be asked to endure again and again for the benefit of others and at the end have no recognition for it.

Maybe not the ending we 'wanted' but certainly a very creative and I think they succeeded with the tragic hero angle.

Were here to Rant not praise.. wrong tread. 

It makes me sad that I can't remember one interesting conversation or witty remark this season.

I just rewatched Blackwater the other day and it's sad how some characters have become shelves of their former selves. 

We just had a beloved character turn villain (Dany's transformation from noble heroine to power hungry tyrant should have made for some amazing political speeches and conversations) and instead you hear Tyrion talking about it in an almost descriptive banal way, and Tyrion was supposed to be the smart one! Just imagine what other more competent writers could come up with if they had to write about Dany's transformation. 

That was seriously kind of depressing. It made me sad, and not in the way they intended. How’d we get here?

The only positive I can think of was how great everything looked when Jon was walking up the stairs with the Targ banner up on the war-torn walls(and her suddenly huge Unsullied army). If I were to see that a few years back I would’ve gotten chills. Such a waste.

That fucking Edmure scene. Jesus

4 hours ago, BradDoty08 said:

Why wouldn't Brienne be kings guard for Sansa though? Thought she was sworn to her. 

Hm, I must have been somewhat tired (it was 5:00h in the morning local time) and definitely blinded by too many illogical things happening, so I guess that one was a purely emotional reaction being happy for Brienne... (there's an idiom in German saying you can't see the forest because of all the trees in front of you).

Giving this another thought I could imagine Sansa telling Brienne to go watch over Bran - after all, even if she didn't elect him king, she still seemed to care about him, and she's in the north with a good, trustworthy Stark household guard whereas Bran is a stranger in the south and we all know what happens to Starks who go south... it could make sense, just saying... and I'm well past expecting those two who shall not be named to give a f---, eh, thought about things like that and address it in writing.

LIKED:

- Tyrion openly calls out Dany

- Jon kills Dany

- Drogon tries to revive Dany

- Edmure lives! Yara lives! Sweetrobin lives! We even saw the new prince of Dorne!

- Brienne writes in the book - probably my favorite moment the whole season

- Jon meets Ghost again, actually acknowledges his existence

- the final scene when Jon and the wildlings go into the woods

DISLIKED

- Jon is dumber than a box of rocks. In fact a rock is much more intelligent than Jon and the rock is humiliated that it is being compared to something like Jon. It took like 30 freaking minutes of Arya and Tyrion persuading Jon that Dany ain't that awesome. And although Jon clearly dislikes what Dany did, he still defends her.

- Grey Worm can teleport - first we saw him executing people on the street, Jon talks to him and goes straight to Dany and suddenly puff! GW is on the top of the stairs.

- Arya walks around and no one freaking cares. Oh and she can teleport too but we already knew this.

- Dany's army grows bigger each episode.

- Jaime and Cersei are buried under like 5 stones although several tuns crumbled on them.

- Who tf are half of the "high lords" during the council?

- Sam proposes democracy. I knew someone would do it. Thank R'hllor that the rest laughed it off.

- Brienne apparently isn't pregnant with Jaime. That was my biggest disappointment this episode.

- GW survives the series, that's the second biggest disappointment this episode.

- everyone who survived until this episode but Dany got a happy ending

- Bran comes from an emotionless nonsense-talking robot to a witty king. Anyone else had the impression that Bran knew all the way long that he'd become the king?

- "is there a Night's Watch?" A good question, Jon.

- Tormund is not beyond the Wall but waits for Jon.

4 hours ago, LHakaLH said:

3. How did the punchline known as Edmure Tully get away from the Freys' dungeon? Did he escape? Was he released? 

He got caught in limbo trying out the new Westeros transportation system and after being stuck in there just was lucky to just conveniently materialize out of thin air at Kings Landing after only a couple years later?

21 minutes ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

Not true.

Cersei never cared about freeing or helping people. She only cared about pleasing herself.

Tomato-tomato. They both blew up a Bunch of innocent people. Like way too many. 

Why was Edmure supposed to be funny there? I mean, I know it's because they'd never make him king. But then they made Bran king, and the whole thing was a joke. So why not Edmure? No one else was talking. 

Sansa should shut her mouth if she's not going to put herself or anyone else up. Or cut Uncle off right away. Because he wasn't just rambling. It was an ordered speech. So long as it didn't start dragging on, Niecie was being rude. 

Really, Edmure or someone should have asked "What about Jon?" Jon was king if Dany was ever truly queen. And they act as though she were. He has the birthright and he's the only one who's actually been a king before.

Is it simply because he's in Unsullied custody? Because that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. 

3 hours ago, The Scabbard Of the Morning said:

I have to think the D&D in their genius reversed the order, that in the books Jon is AA, Dany is Nissa Nissa, and that somehow her death is a sacrifice that provided for the means to defeat the Others.

That would fit the bittersweet ending, what we got in the show was all bitter and no sweet.

Well, could killing Dany give Jon access to Drogon (who could fulfil the role of lightbringer-I might be forgetting, but part of killing nissa nissa was to forge lightbringer)? I am quite partial to the theory that the order is swapped as well.

17 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

That was seriously kind of depressing. It made me sad, and not in the way they intended. How’d we get here?

The only positive I can think of was how great everything looked when Jon was walking up the stairs with the Targ banner up on the war-torn walls(and her suddenly huge Unsullied army). If I were to see that a few years back I would’ve gotten chills. Such a waste.

That fucking Edmure scene. Jesus

It would have been an imposing vision years ago, but now when I think Targaryen I can't help but think of Jon-Aegon Snow-Stark-Targaryen. That's his flag, too. 

26 minutes ago, teej6 said:

Where’s a dream of spring? did we see spring on the horizon?

Turns out we didn' t get a dream of spring, but a time for wolves, as Martin originally intended to name the last instalment of the book. I'm ok with the Starks profiting in the end, but the way how we got there is bullshit, that election scene was the most bullshit scene in the entire show, and that says something, because we got an abundance of those in the last 3 - 4 seasons. 

Archived