[Spoilers] Rant & Rave without Repercussion, Final edition

Ran

If Jon loved her so much in this episode, why didn't he love her in the last one?

Why couldn't they just have married and been done with it before it came to this?

If one of the reasons Dany snapped was that Jon betrayed her and now she's all alone in the world, why did she let Jon get close at all? 

Oh I know. Because the plot demanded it.

I would have preferred this ending:

Jon comes into the throne room.

Dany says: Dracarys!

Drogo destroys the throne.

Dany says: "Now no-one will ever sit on that thing ever again. The wheel is broken. I'm done here. So long suckers."

She jumps on her dragon and flies away.

" If you think this has a happy ending,you haven't been paying attention....... Unless your a Stark. Then it totally has a happy ending. Or Bronn. Or Tyrion. Or the Wildlings. In fact it only doesn't have a happy ending if you're Jaime or affiliated with Dany. Or your collateral damage to a madish queen. 

Actually it mostly does have a happy ending."

I need some time to process things, but just like I did with Season 7, I'm going to provide you all with a season-long summary/rant, with humerous faux-honeypots, nicknaming, mockery, all that good stuff. Because D&D deserves that much.

Also, after all those fuckhead showpologists go 'hur hur, you're just mad Dany went insane, if you think this has a happy ending you haven't been paying attention', pretty much fucking everyone had a shitty, fuzzy ending that makes a show once praised for its gritty realism look like it needs a fucking freeze frame and inspiring 80s music to finish us off.

Even Grey Worm, a fucking war criminal who if in possession of a dragon would have nuked KL just as hard as Dany, gets to fuck off to Naath without consequence. Fuck this fucking show.

26 minutes ago, Hodor the Articulate said:

If the reason ADOS was originally titled 'A Time for Wolves' because the series ends with the Starks taking over all of Westeros, I'm not sure I want to continue reading.

This Season was A Time for Trolls.

5 hours ago, LHakaLH said:

Tyrion wants Jon to kill Dany because Dany kills people, and killing is bad. Tyrion wants Jon to kill Dany for the good of humanity because Dany kills people for the good of humanity. Tyrion is sure that killing Dany will create a better world order because Dany is sure that killing people will create a better world order. Dany’s problem is that she never questions that her own actions are in everyone’s best interest, so she needs to be killed for what Tyrion never questions is everyone’s best interest. Hmmm...

:bowdown:

Perfection.

Was the show pretending Sansa had an arc? Like that's what she was planning all along? From brutalization at the hands of a psychopath to Queen in the North. As opposed to running to Jon to win her Winterfell so she could have a safe place, then keeping the Vale army from him and letting Rickon die for no reason, then catfighting with her sister and Mean Girl-ing Dany until Plot Device made Dany crazy. 

I love how the council managed, listening to the advice of a condemned kinslayer imprisoned for trahison, to make the 7k probably far worse in the long run. Before there were war of succession when a king became mad, or when there were several claimants in one family, now there will likely be one after each as everyone can claim (+ there will be regular wars with the now independant northern kingdom). And with people like Bronn in the council it's already as corrupt as the old monarchy could be. But D&D can present it as a victory for the good people as the brothels will be rebuilt.

Out of that was strikes me is the non-evolution of almost every character who either fulfill their expectations or are just back to their season 1-2 life :
 - Sansa starts dreaming to become a queen, finishes queen

- Arya starts dreaming of adventures, ends an explorer (preparation for a future spin off ?)

- Jon is a poor bastard unjustly sent to the NW, and who has a sad tendancy to have to fight the women he loves ; is sent to the NW again after killing a woman he loves again

- Brienne dreams of becoming King's Guard and becomes KG

- Jaime starts and ends as Cersei's lover with all his redemption arc having as only consequence fucking Brienne

- Sam is a scholar, he finish grand master (only vague evolution, he wasn't wanting to become maester ; but I don't remember if it was mentionned in the show), his choice to prefer having a wife and child is forgotten or made somehow compatible

- Greyworm looks set to continue his endless life of warfare against slavers with the unsullied

- Tyrion starts as a witty dwarf making heavy jokes, will spend his life doing the same in Westeros bro council

- Bronn was and remain about brothels and being the only one to laugh to Tyrion's jokes

- Edmure Tully was and remain some comic relief stupid guy here to be humiliated by his own family

etc...

Finally in the whole serie the only character not fulfilling an early wish or some kind of curse is Bran (and even... becoming king instead of knighs is a lot closer to his early dreams than becoming a telepathic half-tree in a cave), it's perhaps why he is the chosen one in the end. Everyone else just followed a path to more of the same.

5 hours ago, LHakaLH said:

Tyrion wants Jon to kill Dany because Dany kills people, and killing is bad. Tyrion wants Jon to kill Dany for the good of humanity because Dany kills people for the good of humanity. Tyrion is sure that killing Dany will create a better world order because Dany is sure that killing people will create a better world order. Dany’s problem is that she never questions that her own actions are in everyone’s best interest, so she needs to be killed for what Tyrion never questions is everyone’s best interest. Hmmm...

At least if Tyrion is wrong it's only one dead murderer. A beautiful woman with unique abilities, but if she's wrong and she lives we could be talking millions. 

Just now, SeanF said:

This Season was A Time for Trolls.

It's hard to imagine TWOW and ADOS being anything like this. I can honestly say, there's nothing good about this. It feels like B&W developled real contempt for the material somewhere along the line.

1 minute ago, Lord Freypie said:

- Sansa starts dreaming to become a queen, finishes queen

What happened to the prince and the babies? I consider it a terrible waste that we didn't see at least one Stark baby. I'd like to know the line lives on. 

14 minutes ago, King Roberts beard said:

" If you think this has a happy ending,you haven't been paying attention....... Unless your a Stark. Then it totally has a happy ending. Or Bronn. Or Tyrion. Or the Wildlings. In fact it only doesn't have a happy ending if you're Jaime or affiliated with Dany. Or your collateral damage to a madish queen. 

Actually it mostly does have a happy ending."

Jon's ending should have been happy. Overlooking the fact that the Night's Watch serves no purpose, he gets to hang out with his best friends (does he even like Sam anymore? I forget) for the rest of his life. That's his punishment. 

Buuuuuuuuuut, Jon is Jon, so he's moody. He will be forever a sourpuss, unless he finds another Ygritte. 

6 hours ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

First observations:  St. Tyrion gets most everything he's wanted, and I guess.......Drogon declared Jon to have committed justifiable homicide? 

I saw a meme which explained it as Detective Drogon going:

Pointy thing in mother. Chair of pointy things. YOU SON OF A BITCH! (burns pointy chair)

5 hours ago, Nami said:

That petition is going like 300 signatures in every 15 seconds 

I haven't read all the thread yet but wanted to say, from what I've seen of people criticising the petition, they're getting the wrong idea.

For one, most people will have PAID for this - whether through HBO directly, Sky, Now TV, etcetera - it's not a cheap daytime drama on a freeview channel.  People have a right to complain that they aren't getting value for money. 

For another, folk aren't complaining (generally) that they didn't get the outcome they wanted for they're favourite characters, they're angry that those outcomes didn't make any sense and were poorly executed.  Fans aren't so stupid to just want happy endings.  Contrast this shitshow with The Wire, regarded as one of the best TV shows of all time.  As I watched it, I noted how brutal it was in it's disregard of the viewers' feelings (stairwell anyone?), and yet I didn't feel angry or unsatisfied; the story was well told (and I even enjoyed the final season :P).

I also hate this, "Could you do any better?" argument.  If I'm a bad cook, does it invalidate my right to complain if a restaurant serves me hot garbage?

I'm sorry the cast and crew worked so hard and wasted so much time and money on this.  Maybe it gives them some idea of what their fans are feeling though. 

(I haven't actually signed it yet, as in my mind, there's a lot more than S8 needs remaking, but I may do so in a show of solidarity B).)

I'm just sorry I didn't stop watching sooner. And I certainly will never read the books. I'm sure they are much better than the show but not that much better. Sorry, book fans. Of course I was only going to read them if, er, when the series was finished, so...

The only emotions I felt during that episode were disappointment and frustration. 

Game of Thrones has always been a rollercoaster of emotions, but here they managed to systematically ruin virtually every main character to the point where none of it matters.  It's hard to feel happy or sad for any of them.

People were worried that one more season wasn't enough, and they've been proven completely right.  If you have read the books, this isn't for you.  If you're interested in the backstories or the lore, this isn't for you.  If you are just a casual viewer who isn't very invested, you 'might' enjoy it.

Forget:  'if you're expecting a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention'

More like: 'if you have been paying attention, don't expect an ending'

Let me get this straight...

Jon the Honourable Fool 2.0 at first takes issue with killing Daenerys despite her burning down a city full of people, cause "She's my Queen". I don't think Ned would have killed her Jaime style, but more likely called for a war or at least directly confronted her. So he then does kill her, fine. I mean it does make sense she just burnt down a city full of innocent people. Here's where things get pretty darn stupid...

So Jon has to join the Nights Watch, cause Greyworm wants him dead? Greyworm should be thankful he hasn't been slaughtered. Why is there still a Nights Watch anyway? So Jon takes the black, cause he's honourable, but then in the final scene he abandons the Nights Watch. Why not cut out all the Nights Watch stuff and have him go North, cause he wants to leave it all behind?

I trusted them to properly conclude the show. I was fine with the final 'chapters' of the story being told by the TV show. I just can't believe that this is what they served up. 

Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoyed most episodes of S7 and S8. The episodes themselves were fine. Hell I'm fine with Bran becoming King. It was just so rushed. No drama, no intrigue. Seriously, can't believe they thought that 13 episodes would be enough to conclude 60 hours' worth of story. I just feel so empty and cheated

Now to go on a fantasy binge to cleanse myself ahead of Winds and Spring... 

I won’t rant  about it because it feels so empty and stupid  it doesn’t worth my time. 

For me it’s not a show I can recommend to anyone watching. If you do recommend it take care that you can be seen as sadistic or as a plain idiot with an IQ rating lower than Hodors. Most likely the second. 

Archived