[Spoilers] Rant & Rave without Repercussion, Final edition

Ran

6 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

What do we make of Dany's imperial speech?

I mean, in the books she should already have that empire by the point she comes to Westeros, no? She will have Slaver's Bay (or what's left thereof), she hopefully will have destroyed Qarth (which doesn't need destruction or conquest in the show, considering it is a place without money or rulers there), and she will have ended slavery in all the Free Cities who keep slaves.

In that sense, this entire prospect of there being more problematic war wouldn't make sense in the books, no?

You’re using fan fiction to create plot holes again. Listen I’m all for mocking D&D, but never for not going the way of my book predictions. 

I still hate your theory, but that’s just me.

1 minute ago, sifth said:

You’re using fan fiction to create plot holes again. Listen I’m all for mocking D&D, but never for not going the way of my book predictions. 

I'm just trying to make sense of the Dany plot under the assumption that parts of it actually are supposed to happen in the books. George cannot possibly abandon the slavery plot and just have everybody race to KL. That's not going to work, he has gone out of his way to enlarge that plot in ADwD.

The change.org petition is ridiculous. Not only because those things are always pointless, but because the people behind it are just mad their fav. character didn't have the ending they expected it should have had. Many displeased with the show are still happy that, say, Sansa is Queen, even though it's very unearned and it feels more like an apology from D&d to ruin her plot. Remaking Season 8 wouldn't help because all the problems started in Season 4 or 5. The show is rotten from the start, the episode aired yesterday is just a consequence of that.

4 hours ago, Hedgehog1977 said:

He got caught in limbo trying out the new Westeros transportation system and after being stuck in there just was lucky to just conveniently materialize out of thin air at Kings Landing after only a couple years later? 

Edmure is Antman? Hah.

1 hour ago, Neddy's Girl said:

P.S.  Nice to see you back ^_^

tee hee

4 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

I'm just trying to make sense of the Dany plot under the assumption that parts of it actually are supposed to happen in the books. George cannot possibly abandon the slavery plot and just have everybody race to KL. That's not going to work, he has gone out of his way to enlarge that plot in ADwD.

I just don’t even try. D&D wanted Dany to be evil, with as little effort as possible.

59 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

Arya is now threatening to cut powerful people's throats in front of audiences of other powerful people.

Yeah, that pissed me off. Way to escalate the tension between the North and the Iron Isles, Arya. Why don't you and Sansa take digs at the other lords too, while you're at it.

4 hours ago, Sheiraseastar23 said:

Turns out we didn' t get a dream of spring, but a time for wolves, as Martin originally intended to name the last instalment of the book.

I don't know if you were around when GRRM's letter to his editor from 1993 was made public: in the query, he gave a broad trajectory for then-trilogy; it's fascinating stuff but not as fascinating as the fact the summarisation of that letter was available for years on Amazon's page for TWoW and no one noticed. (White Walkers were called "Neverborn", for example.) 

I would not be surprised the ending was inspired by that piece (the paragraphs regarding the actual ending were redacted), which was more to the theme of ~ a time for the wolves than ~ a dream of spring. 

26 minutes ago, sifth said:

However I think we need to take into account that danny will have the support of all the red priests in essos. That should give her a lot of men… 

2 minutes ago, divica said:

However I think we need to take into account that danny will have the support of all the red priests in essos. That should give her a lot of men… 

We don’t know that for sure. Just like we don’t know what role Vic and the Iron Fleet will play in the book.

8 minutes ago, sifth said:

We don’t know that for sure. Just like we don’t know what role Vic and the Iron Fleet will play in the book.

We know they are giving speeches about her being their god's chosen one. They will appear in danny's story.

36 minutes ago, JonCon's Red Beard said:

The change.org petition is ridiculous. Not only because those things are always pointless, but because the people behind it are just mad their fav. character didn't have the ending they expected it should have had. Many displeased with the show are still happy that, say, Sansa is Queen, even though it's very unearned and it feels more like an apology from D&d to ruin her plot. Remaking Season 8 wouldn't help because all the problems started in Season 4 or 5. The show is rotten from the start, the episode aired yesterday is just a consequence of that.

Agreed. Now, waiting for the last 2 books to be finished and then remaking the whole thing from the start (with someone who understands and loves the source material at the helm)? That I could get behind.

My immediate feeling is actually one of relief. That's The End... and we don't have to worry about this sodding embarrassment any more.

For the episode in particular:

• Northern independence when you have a Northern King makes no bloody sense (and even if it did, I'd have reversed Bran and Sansa's respective locations).
  • The Elective Monarchy is going to spark crises every generation, or else become de facto hereditary.
  • Bringing back Edmure just to treat him like that made me genuinely angry.
  • What the hell is up with Sam? If he's Grand Maester (with zero qualifications), he can't very well settle down with Gilly.
  • Trying to retrospectively justify the previous episode is bad writing.
  • Character derailment now applies to dragons too, apparently.
  • Arya goes West... why?

I did like the melting of the Iron Throne, even if it required Drogon to act OOC. That and Brienne's note in the White Book, which was a nice touch. Otherwise it was rubbish, but at least it is over...

I could write pages of rants for this episode but the short version is:

The pacing was awful. The amount of time spent watching people walk was just annoying. A lot of that episode could have been trimmed down. That goes with this season, a lot of useless shots were added for what I assume is artistic reasoning.

R+L=J is a big nothing, really serves no point

Drogon burning the Iron Throne because Dany died? What?

Bronn becoming Lord of Highgarden and master of coin? Come on.

Bran is king? The same person you cut for an entire season because you didn't know what to do with him? And the purpose of him being the 3 eye raven is? Because it makes him a good story teller? He didn't tell us one story. The closest was telling Sansa she looked good when she got raped. And if to be King the biggest qualifier is you can tell a story well, shouldn't Sam be king? He at least told/knew stories.

Tyrion is brought to the dragon pit, "no one wants to hear from me, half hate me for supporting Dany the other half for betraying her." Then they all sit there and listen to him and take his idea? What?

They send Jon to the NW for I assume what is a prison sentence and the man we have been led to believe that puts duty and honor before all else, just says, Nah, I am going North of the Wall, eff that. And they let him?

Isn't Sam still in the Night's Watch? How did he get out of his vows?

Jamie and Cersei could have lived if they just moved 5 feet to the left.

Why would the Unsullied just capture Jon as prisoner after killing their queen? They would have killed him, they have been killing everyone else.

What happens to the Dorthraki?

After Sansa says, Nah we are not joining this. Why isn't Dorne and the Iron Islands saying the same thing. The Iron Islands have been wanting independence for some time now.

Arya learned how to be a faceless man but didn't use faces at all this season? Turns out it's just a ninja assassin academy I guess.

This joke of a season couldn't have ended any other way, with by far the worst episode of the entire series.

18 minutes ago, divica said:

We know they are giving speeches about her being their god's chosen one. They will appear in danny's story.

Just saying we don’t know is all. I certainly couldn’t predict Mance being a spy at Winterfell for example.

From the first moment of season 1, this show was bad. I'm sad this is the last thread on this topic as AGOT the TV series, while hated now, will one day be looked on with rose colored glasses. Like the Bush Administration, what was once a monster is now remembered fondly. 

This is my review for the last episode of season 8, which I did not watch except through reading this thread and various leaks on Reddit. I enjoyed this season the most of all the seasons, all said.

Edit: Actually, one other thing. It seems the whole R+L=J, as meaningful as that sounded in the books, has no meaning at all. For the great, secret Targaryen ruler, Jon's arc sure as hell meant nothing. He was King of North for an episode, only to instantly bend the knee to whomever. His responsibility to rule as the last Targ was thrown away for a half-assed attempt at "democracy"--which seems hilariously realized by DnD. Their knowledge of the careful planning, the fighting, the arguing, and the fear of a powerful "ruler" of U.S. democracy seems to be zero. They must think the founding fathers of U.S. democracy just kind of got together and said, "Let's give this a go, ay?" I'm assuming they're basing the conclusion of the series on the U.S. model just because they're lazy. But with Jon, his arc from bastard at the wall to...bastard at the wall? Seems like R+L=J has no bearing on anything. Really shoddy writing.

9 hours ago, The Scabbard Of the Morning said:

I have to think the D&D in their genius reversed the order, that in the books Jon is AA, Dany is Nissa Nissa, and that somehow her death is a sacrifice that provided for the means to defeat the Others.

That would fit the bittersweet ending, what we got in the show was all bitter and no sweet.

This makes a lot of sense to me. And is something that could never have happened in the show since D&D hate all the fantasy elements. 

9 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Another fuck you to the book fans, I felt, was when Dany talked about how she imagined the Iron Throne to be. A giant monstrosity of barbed metal, instead of the nice, semi-comfy, symmetrical chair we had in the show. It would have been a nice imagery had Dany somehow managed to cut her hand on it, before she died, but alas...

I agree.  The description Dany gave of her childhood ideas on what the throne looked like did feel like it was GRRM's throne she was talking about, all the way to the steps so high it's hard to climb.  The Ds may have been trying to troll the book, book fans, but all that comparison did for me was make me realize that their IT isn't all that, not really.   Those deets from Dany reminded me I'd have liked to have seen that throne, LOL 

I was thinking about the throne's supposed ability to kill people, too.  It would have been a nice touch, a little cut that no one sees but Jon. 

22 minutes ago, The Marquis de Leech said:

Bringing back Edmure just to treat him like that made me genuinely angry.

Especially when you consider that in the books, Edmure is one of the few nobles who actually cares about the people he rules. 

Archived