[Spoilers] Rant & Rave without Repercussion, Final edition

Ran

Just now, Ygrain said:

HG3 had its issues but compared to this, it is a masterpiece. Unlike Dany's, Katniss' mental breakdown is very plausible.

Drogon is, in fact, an accomplished interior designer. The ugly chair was a kitsch  that didn't fit to the new design of the Red Keep :-)

Even worse than the idea of Dany going mad in two and a half episodes and turning into Daenerys, She Wolf of the SS, is the alternative theory being put out by the show runners that she turned evil when she let Drogo kill Viserys (the guy, who had just threatened to cut out her child).

3 hours ago, Ash Enshugar said:

It would be a 300% improvement if during his confrontation with Dany, Jon started singing "Everyone's a hero in their own way".

As he's walking into the throne room, "A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do."  LOL.

1 hour ago, CCRArabians said:

So disappointing. So hollow. So GROSS. 

Not only does GRRM screw us by putting the character most like himself on the throne

Whoah, I thought GRRM always said he sees himself as Sam, not Bran?  Though, the Ds are probably too stupid to understand that, since they truly believe the actual story teller (Sam) can't tell stories better than Branbot, who never says dick about anything anymore, let alone try to tell stories.

Let's review the court of King's Landing:

King: Brandon Stark

An autistic creep with zero charisma who claims to be a wizard with clairvoyance, but did nothing to stop any of the carnage in KL.

Hand: Tyrion Lannister

A man guilty of patricide, the most grievous sin in all of Westeros. Furthermore convicted of murdering Joffrey, but I guess he gets a pass for that, or he convinced everyone of his innocence somehow.

Master of ships: Davos Seaworth

A lowborn smuggler, and previous Hand to, and most loyal supporter of, Stannis, who famously tortured his own daughter to death to gain the favour of a foreign fire-demon.

Master of coin: Bronn

A lowborn cut-throat with no experience in finance.

Grand Maester: Samwell Tarly

Became somehow the most senior member of the Citadel overnight, despite having fathered Children and stealing property 

Lord commander of the Kingsguard: Brienne

The first woman on the job, but I guess all of Westeros acquired modern values overnight? Veteran of one battle, wherein she didn't make a single tactical decision.

Yupp, I can totally see how the Westorosi nobility can get behind this!

2 minutes ago, SeanF said:

Even worse than the idea of Dany going mad in two and a half episodes and turning into Daenerys, She Wolf of the SS, is the alternative theory being put out by the show runners that she turned evil when she let Drogo kill Viserys (the guy, who had just threatened to cut out her child). 

And also sold her to Drogo get an army for himself.  But she didn't show enough empathy when he was killed, so we should have seen the burning of King's Landing and all it's citizens coming.

What I really hate about GOT is that all the women with some form of power are depicted as crazy in some form or another.  All of them, including the Stark sisters, whatever made Arya, Arya, in the House of the Dead or whatever. Also the crazy Sand Snakes and Ygritte (gads, I think other than the one who I will not name,  and Joffrey, Ygritte is the only character I actively hated. 

The only exceptions I am thinking of at the moment are Oleanna and Margaery -- and the latter wanted, not to be a Queen, but THE Queen, silly woman.  Her heart was good and she was smart, but not enough to counter the demon-driven Cersei.  Missandei wasn't crazy, but she had no power either.

Even Brienne, the sanest person on the show probably, has to give her heart to Jamie and then white wash him, and by so doing, also his sister. 

Fortunately Sansa only wants to be Queen in the North, not THE Queen, so she can run things the way they should be run, doing her duty as as she was brought up to do.

6 minutes ago, Higgins86 said:

Are we supposed to believe that they have really broken the wheel?

As soon as Bran dies there will be a huge conflict over who gets the throne next. All they have done is prolonged another conflict similar to the end of Roberts rebellion.

Absolutely. There is no way a future king won't say, my son will be the ruler, anyone have a problem with that?

The Roman Republic was fiercely anti-monarchy after the seven kings of the earlier Roman Kingdom, overthrown in a rebellion led by the Junii, who Brutus came from. (Brutus, who in this show is Lord of Riverrun! While Caesar led the wildlings and died in fire up North.) Everything the Senate did suffused with the desire to prevent another monarch from coming to power. That is why they had two Consuls for example, and several Tribunes of the Plebeians with veto power.

BUT, Caesar and Octavian ended all that, and Rome turned into an empire for many, many centuries.

The Puritan overthrow of democracy in Britain didn't last long either - the executed king's son soon came to power.

The extremely anti-monarch French Revolution ended with an emperor taking the throne, in an imitation of the king-Senate-emperor story of Rome, but in a shorter time span. After him they got another king, then an emperor again, then another king. But because this was past the Middle Ages, they eventually became a republic again. Even so, that took some effort.

So, that's what's going to happen with the Six Kingdoms. (Has no one thought of naming the Iron Islands the seventh kingdom now? Seven Kingdoms sounds much better.) They've been a Medieval monarchy their entire history, they'll be so again.

But not with a king who can do whatever he wants, mind. It was rare that kings could rule without caring what the big houses thought - regardless of what people believe about the Middle Ages. In a place like Westeros, wide and decentralized with local cultures, there will always be a lot of autonomy. But the Houses will agree to have a king to avoid the wars of the past. It doesn't really cost them that much extra, unless the king is Robert.

16 hours ago, PirateVergo said:

Worst season in the show by far.

GOT's strength (and ASOIAF in general) is how big the world felt, the shift in perspective through having severals protagonists in different places.Putting all of them at the same place was a failure, the bad plot obviously didn't help but you could see in the finale how they tried to give closure to everybody's storyline and ended up having not much happen aside of Dany's death and Bran being crowned.

I know they needed to cut off cast members but by season 8 it felt like the World of Westeros was dead, something you don't feel while reading the books.

Yeah, like when all our 'heroes' just happened to meet for the Wight Hunt and just happened to participate in the Long Knight, and made up most of the council in the dragonpit, and then all of Bran's advisors were well known characters regardless of whether they were good for the job. (Bronn Master of Coin? Because he likes money? Huh?) It made the show feel very small and coincidental and silly. 

According to this Episode, Bran is the main Villain. He's literally knew all this would happen. He manipulated Jon by telling him who his parents were yet all that served was to drive a wedge between him and Dany and clear the lane for him to become King. I may be wrong but that stood out to me. 

1 minute ago, Jarl Halstein said:

As soon as Bran dies there will be a huge conflict over who gets the throne next. All they have done is prolonged another conflict similar to the end of Roberts rebellion.

I kinda think, if there is any point in bothering, that at first the succession will be OK.  Bran dies, if he dies, or if he turns into a tree, whatever, Sansa will have produced a castle full of healthy sons and daughters by someone as yet unmet and undisclosed, and the electors, with subtle pressure ranging from implied threat to overt trading terms, outright gold and other goodies, will pick one of those sons of Sansa, because they too will be at least half Stark, and they will keep the stability and continuity.

That can't last though, past a couple of reigns.

2 minutes ago, ramla said:

According to this Episode, Bran is the main Villain. He's literally knew all this would happen. He manipulated Jon by telling him who his parents were yet all that served was to drive a wedge between him and Dany and clear the lane for him to become King. I may be wrong but that stood out to me.  

If Bran is the villain, he certainly isn't doing anything with his new power of note to say he personally gained anything from his actions.  It's much more likely that the writers intention is to be bluntly accurate when Bran says he doesn't want to be king, after already accepting the title.  For the writers to be subtle and try to "trick people" by saying the opposite of what Bran really feels has zero pay off with the way they wrote the ending.

7 minutes ago, Zorral said:

What I really hate about GOT is that all the women with some form of power are depicted as crazy in some form or another.  All of them, including the Stark sisters, whatever made Arya Arya in the House of the Dead or whatever. Also the crazy Sand Snakes and Ygritte (gads, I think other than the one who I will not name,  and Joffrey, Ygritte is the only character I actively hated. 

The only exceptions I am thinking of at the moment are Oleanna and Margaery -- and the latter wanted, not to be a Queen, but THE Queen, silly woman.  Her heart was good and she was smart, but not enough to counter the demon-driven Cersei.  Missandei wasn't crazy, but she had no power either.

Fortunately Sansa only wants to be Queen in the North, not THE Queen, so she can run things the way they should be run, doing her duty as as she was brought up to do.

I'd rather be depicted as crazy than the idiot they depict nearly every man in power to be on the show, call me crazy but that's just my preference

Just now, darksellsword said:

I'd rather be depicted as crazy than the idiot they depict nearly every man in power to be on the show, call me crazy but that's just my preference

I don't think its fair to compare across genders when D&D are writing. Gender is something that humans have. This show doesn't have real human characters, just half-formed caricatures of them.   

2 minutes ago, Jaime the Goldenhand said:

I don't think its fair to compare across genders when D&D are writing. Gender is something that humans have. This show doesn't have real human characters, just half-formed caricatures of them.   

I think D&D did revert to gender stereotypes. I think it is a valid point to make that the majority of the female characters were portrayed as emotionally unstable or crazy at some point and most of the guys were incompetent nitwits that failed upwards

3 minutes ago, Jaime the Goldenhand said:

Exactly that, well said. Ran out of likes, so have to reply for the rest of the day. It’s a terrible thing, for one as lazy as I am. :D

Side note, haven’t been able to make myself rewatch, so I’m still only ranting about the 1/3 I watched...

2 minutes ago, Tadco26 said:

If Bran is the villain, he certainly isn't doing anything with his new power of note to say he personally gained anything from his actions.  It's much more likely that the writers intention is to be bluntly accurate when Bran says he doesn't want to be king, after already accepting the title.  For the writers to be subtle and try to "trick people" by saying the opposite of what Bran really feels has zero pay off with the way they wrote the ending.

Indifference is always the friend of the enemy. To be cold in your dealing means you'll sacrifice 100's of thousands just to make what you think is right, happen. Like why tell jon about his parentage, let it cause the calamity it did, then tell Jon he was where he needed to be. Needed to be for what? I mean i could be wrong.

Can we give a small shout out to Cersei, who turned out to be the final person sittiny on the IT?

Also, that poor piece of furniture did nothing to deserve Drogon's wrath, it patiently bore the burden of Robert Baratheon's unsightly ass, as well as several others', and the history would be no different if they put another chair in it's place.

15 minutes ago, ramla said:

I believe that's correct.

2 minutes ago, ramla said:

Indifference is always the friend of the enemy. To be cold in your dealing means you'll sacrifice 100's of thousands just to make what you think is right, happen. Like why tell jon about his parentage, let it cause the calamity it did, then tell Jon he was where he needed to be. Needed to be for what? I mean i could be wrong.

Maybe there was nothing he could do to change the slaughter at KL. Dany saw it in her own vision in the HotU. All he could do was mitigate the damage. 

Bookwise, I always saw Bran as a potential villain, but that's not the way this played out. 

Archived