[Spoilers] Rant & Rave without Repercussion, Final edition

Ran

2 minutes ago, Jaime the Goldenhand said:

Does this not follow? Everything else remaining the same (which is a stretch), didn't Bran's actions simply lead to him becoming King, while leading to unnecessary death and destruction?

Dude was bored, he is crippled and there's no TV in Westeros, he wanted to see some drama.

I have no idea what I just watched, but I think Benioff and Weiss have pulled of the most elaborate prank in TV history.

HBO will announce next year April the first. remember GOT final season we screened last year? Forget it, that was just a prank. Here's the real final season. Either that, or it will appear in comic book guy's store. You know that secret room Bart and Milhouse accidently discover which contained all sorts of rares, like a good version of the third Godfather movie.

But boy this episode was bad. I liked how Drogon broke the fourth wall though, I think the iron from the from melting away symbolized the different plotlines melting before the viewers eyes and turning into an unidentifable mess. Seems like everybody is a critic these days, even CGI dragons.

Lord Commander Brienne. I am ok with that. But really, Ser Pod Payne? He is now one of the elite knights in the realm?

Lord Bronn Master of Coin? He did never strike me as the accountant kinda guy. But sure why not?

Grandmaester Samwell? Didn't he leave the citadel last season deciding that was not the right career path for him?

The electoral college... Who, what, why? I know German emperors were at some point chosen by the most powerful lords, ofc they tended to pick a rather weak one, who would not be a threat to their power and could be disposed off rather easily if he ever got any ideas. So electing King Bran the disengaged, indifferent to realm first of his name, might make some sense, I guess.

Just now, SeanF said:

Good question.

Bran is omniscient.  He could therefore see where it would lead.

Here's another question. Is Bran capable of having agency? 

He seems to operate on a purely fatalistic level. He sees how things will be and is powerless to act any differently. If this is the case, he can't be said to have any morality. He can't choose and therefore cannot act. Compare this to the most obvious corollary: Muad'dib. Paul (from Dune) is able to hazily glimpse multiple futures, these can then inform his actions. When he finds a thread, or possible sequence of events, he is able to follow them to their conclusion, should he so choose. Bran does not seem capable of this.

Bran is a non-agent. How can someone like this honestly be seen as a good ruler.  

3 minutes ago, darksellsword said:

Dany was right, she did need to break the Wheels of Brans wheelchair right before she killed him because he is pure evil, maybe she had a dragon dream about the nightmarish dystopian future brought about by Bran the broken, the wheelchair that mounts the world.

That wheelbreaking should be memed :D

Really, this is probably the best legacy the show is going to leave to us: the memes for the decades to come.

2 minutes ago, Jaime the Goldenhand said:

He seems to operate on a purely fatalistic level. He sees how things will be and is powerless to act any differently. If this is the case, he can't be said to have any morality. He can't choose and therefore cannot act. Compare this to the most obvious corollary: Muad'dib. Paul (from Dune) is able to hazily glimpse multiple futures, these can then inform his actions. When he finds a thread, or possible sequence of events, he is able to follow them to their conclusion, should he so choose. Bran does not seem capable of this.

Bran is a non-agent. How can someone like this honestly be seen as a good ruler.  

Oh thank you, someone mentioned Dune! Martin says he based the Starks on the Yorks, but I see House Atreides (which in turn was based on the Atreides of Greek mythology. 

Edit: No idea why part of that is highlighted. Oh well. 

3 minutes ago, Wingednosering said:

Looking forward to the spinoff:  Weekend at Drogon's.

I was thinking about Drogon earlier. They should of had a separate little cut scene for him.

"So where is the dragon"?

" I don't know" mused Bran with a smile

Cuts to Drogon reigning down fire on Essos

I am a couple of pages behind so am not sure this has been mentioned but I was reading that apparently the very last spoken line after 8 seasons is a joke about a jackass and a honeycomb going to a brothel.

I am actually disappointed that they passed up the opportunity to end with a cock joke. I feel like it really could have summed up all the themes, character development and overall significance of the narrative they strive to get across in the course of the series.

Does anyone remember an interview/quote by GRRM saying he is sticking to his idea of the ending even if it means a boy wizard sits on the throne? 

Found one of him saying he probably would not  name his child Daenerys, so there's that.

9 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

But boy this episode was bad. I liked how Drogon broke the fourth wall though, I think the iron from the from melting away symbolized the different plotlines melting before the viewers eyes and turning into an unidentifable mess. Seems like everybody is a critic these days, even CGI dragons.

:lol:

51 minutes ago, Jarl Halstein said:

She had a freakin' dragon watching the door. It only let Jon through because it was Jon, the queen's beau and fellow Targaryen rider of dragons.

Pretty sure the keep was blasted so much entire walls were knocked down. But maybe it regenerated between episodes. 

3 minutes ago, -Winterfellian- said:

I am a couple of pages behind so am not sure this has been mentioned but I was watching the last scenes and I realized the very last spoken line after 8 seasons is a joke about a jackass and a honeycomb going to a brothel.

I am actually disappointed that they passed up the opportunity to end with a cock joke. I feel like it really could have summed up all the themes, character development and overall significance of the narrative they strive to get across in the course of the series.

I'm surprised that Yara didn't tell them she wanted to "fuck the tits off " Daenerys.

That was just dire!

Why did they need a nights watch again? Did they rebuild the wall, if so how?

Guessing arya was sailing to lonely light? Also when did she become obsessed with sailing west, pretty sure they have stole that from the lore

9 minutes ago, Ygrain said:

That wheelbreaking should be memed :D

Really, this is probably the best legacy the show is going to leave to us: the memes for the decades to come.

The memes were the only thing that cheered me up about this season, If it weren't for the memes we would all have been driven mad, madder than a mad Targaryen on a dragon that's just been offered unconditional surrender.

10 minutes ago, Jaime the Goldenhand said:

Because he tells the best stories, obviously.

I mean, he never told stories even before he became branbot the 3ER or whatever.  Sure, he can sit by a tree and play dead bait, but he sure can't tell stories between pointing out super uncomfortable things like how beautiful his sister looked while she was being raped or how people have made inappropriate comments when they think no one's watching.

All this talk of evil Bran because revealing R+L=J only served to drive a wedge between Dany and Jon is a bit silly and very naive IMO. Bran was turned into an infodump robot, that’s all. That’s not the character’s fault, but the Ds’. David and Dan simply had to reveal it, that’s basically what got them the job. There’s no way they could have ignored it. So they did what they do “best”: presented the reveal 3 times, each worse than the next, and then proceeded to happily chuck it along all the threads and plots that they had no interest in or didn’t have a fucking clue how to handle. 

There is no hidden agenda, nothing is nothing, and David and Dan suck dragon’s balls as writers. The end.

1 minute ago, massoir said:

That was just dire!

Why did they need a nights watch again? Did they rebuild the wall, if so how?

Guessing arya was sailing to lonely light? Also when did she become obsessed with sailing west, pretty sure they have stole that from the lore

Elissa Farman, yes.

17 minutes ago, ramla said:

Indifference is always the friend of the enemy. To be cold in your dealing means you'll sacrifice 100's of thousands just to make what you think is right, happen. Like why tell jon about his parentage, let it cause the calamity it did, then tell Jon he was where he needed to be. Needed to be for what? I mean i could be wrong.

I think you are trying to put more thought into what happened than the writers did.  What's the payoff for the story in keeping this a secret from the viewers?  It would be like ending The Usual Suspects and cutting the revelation to the audience of who was responsible for everything.  What's Bran doing with his new power as king?  We are pretty much left to believe that everything is perfect now.

10 minutes ago, Moondancer said:

Does anyone remember an interview/quote by GRRM saying he is sticking to his idea of the ending even if it means a boy wizard sits on the throne? 

Wasn’t it something along the lines of, “if a 12 yr Old has to conquer/rule, so be it”? Iirc, he said that when talking about ditching the 5 yr gap.

Archived