[Spoilers] Rant & Rave without Repercussion, Final edition

Ran

13 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

I think Elio and Linda speak for most of us.

WRT the stabbing, it certainly leaves a bad taste in one's mouth that we first see Daenerys being molested by her brother, and last see her being stabbed by her nephew while he's kissing her.

8 minutes ago, lakin1013 said:

The water bottle.  Surely someone has brought up the water bottle.  Coupled with the Starbucks cup of last week,  D&Ds indifference to the viewer is totally insulting.

There were two...the second was near Davos, methinks.  

Also, Davos was there because why?

6 minutes ago, divica said:

That account really disliked the ending of the show. Aren t they close with grrm?

Well, the ending was rubbish and pathetic and stupid. So, what’s to like? 

And yes, that’s the forum’s twitter account, Ran and Linda’s.

2 minutes ago, SeanF said:

I think Elio and Linda speak for most of us.

WRT the stabbing, it certainly leaves a bad taste in one's mouth that we first see Daenerys being molested by her brother, and last see her being stabbed by her nephew while he's kissing her.

The way it was done... awful, repulsive, disgusting. 

1 hour ago, Johnston said:

Why were the Faceless men a thing? 

Really what point was there to the whole face changing thing?  Just so Jaqen H'ghar could do some funky shit to impress Arya after Harrenhall?  Just so Arya could take out the Frey's?

I'm sure if she was trained by Professional Assassins who didn't use a face swapping app she could have done it without becoming Walder and it wouldn't have detracted anything from the story. . 

The Faceless Men, in the books, are out and about doin' shit....secret shit...in Oldtown and other spots...

29 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

- So, Jon meets GW while he’s executing Lannister soldiers. He then walks and walks and walks, and when he reaches the top of the stairs GW is there.

This is the time-space jump in the opposite direction from E5 when Dany takes off from the city wall after the Bells go off, flies for a good distance (Drogon's shadow on the roofs as per Bran's vision) before torching anything. The next time Cersei is watching her from Aegon's Hill, Dany and Drogon are only a few streets away from the walls, systematically burning the city street-by-street from the walls, with everything else further away completely intact.

Some complicated quantum physics no doubt.

1 minute ago, kissdbyfire said:

The way it was done... awful, repulsive, disgusting. 

And so out of character for noble Jon, who would've prob sat Dany down and told her he was about to kill her and why...not with a covert dagger to the heart while embracing.

3 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Well, the ending was rubbish and pathetic and stupid. So, what’s to like? 

And yes, that’s the forum’s twitter account, Ran and Linda’s.

It is supposed to be grrm's ending...

1 minute ago, Ser Hedge said:

This is the time-space jump in the opposite direction from E5 when Dany takes off from the city will after the Bells go off, flies for a good distance (Drogon's shadow on the roofs as per Bran's vision) before torching anything. The next time Cersei is watching her from Aegon's Hill, Dany and Drogon are only a few streets away from the walls, systematically burning the city street-by-street from the walls, with everything else further away completely intact.

Some complicated quantum physics no doubt.

DROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOGGGGGGGGGGGGGOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Burninating all the peoples!!!!!!

4 minutes ago, divica said:

It is supposed to be grrm's ending...

Daenerys becoming a tyrant;  Daenerys burning Kings Landing, and Jon killing her are all things I can accept.

It's not the bare bones of the ending I object to, it's the rushed leap to get there.

2 minutes ago, dannyk65 said:

DROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOGGGGGGGGGGGGGOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Burninating all the peoples!!!!!!

Just following orders Ma'am.

Whenever he did something on his own, he seems to have been a pretty smart cookie ;). I'm pretty sure he was framed in the Hazea case.

9 hours ago, teej6 said:

This was a great and fun read, thank you. 

4 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

That was very good, and quite ranty. :cheers:

This bit here is great:

I'll be honest: I laughed when Bran was elected king. Then I laughed as fucking Jon was sentenced back to the wall. I laughed again when, in a weird moment of meta, self-aware comedy, Jon asked why they even have the Night's Watch anymore. Good point! Why? I laughed when Sansa, for no clear reason, wanted the North to be separateeven though her brother is king.

I laughed as they set up their new government. I laughed thinking about how this is just as corruptible and shitty as their previous government or any other government could be. I laughed when it became clear that Tyrion appears to be the real leader of the Seven Kingdoms (six?) while Bran continued to do whatever the hell it is Bran does. I laughed that none of the prophecies mattered. I laughed that none of the character arcs mattered. I laughed that no one bothered to explain why Bran had fought the Night King so many times before. I laughed that the Children of the Forest just ceased to be. I laughed that Arya never used her Faceless powers (you know, actually taking someone's face) this season after she spent what felt like a billion years learning them. I laughed that the kid who breastfed until he was, like, 12 years old is still alive and looks pretty damn good.

I really enjoyed this article as well.  This early portion of the article was one of my favs:

..........Most shows absolutely overstay their welcome—just look at the last nearly two decades of The Simpsons. But Game of Thrones was different. It had to be long. It needed to be slow, and thoughtful, and most importantly take its time.

So to think that Benioff and Weiss wanted to do this in the 13 episodes that comprised Seasons Seven and Eight is ludicrous. And as any fan of this series could have predicted at the time, it didn't work

That's why Seasons Seven and Eight felt so ridiculously rushed. That's why people started teleporting, why once complex characters suddenly became flat, vanished altogether, or morphed into nothing but convenient Deus Ex Machina, or why producers literally left coffee cups and water bottles in shots. Those prop errors are the perfect metaphor for these last two seasons, where no one slowed down to think about the product they were putting out. No one stopped to consider these beloved character arcs or the sheer logic of the narrative. Instead Benioff and Weiss wanted bigger battles! They wanted spectacle not story.

1 hour ago, divica said:

That account really disliked the ending of the show. Aren t they close with grrm?

I'm not sure if you're kidding or what, but you do realize that they are the owners, operators of the forum here, and the co-authors of The World of Ice and Fire with GRRM, right? 

On 5/19/2019 at 11:55 PM, D2procon said:

It’s upsetting to me that Davos offered The Reach to the Unsullied to start a lineage BECAUSE THEY DONT HAVE PENISES.

To add to that it was offered, because all the people are gone and the lands are open for the taking.

Then a couple scenes later, Bronn is Lord of Highgarden the most profitable land left in the seven kingdoms and is in good shape to provide food and money to the capital...

Highgarden is in control of the Reach. So which is it, broken and empty or populated and prosperous?

Not keeping the story consistent from episode to episode or even scene to scene has been what D&D do best.

1 hour ago, lakin1013 said:

The water bottle.  Surely someone has brought up the water bottle.  Coupled with the Starbucks cup of last week,  D&Ds indifference to the viewer is totally insulting.

How does this happen over and over again on such a high profile show with such a large budget? I don’t care how much the actors and showrunners and all involved cry about how hard they worked, such sloppiness should be unacceptable in such a large production. This just goes to show how little the producers cared about the show in the end.

Okay then. Let’s get this off muh chest. 

All the characters killed off this episode: Bran, Jon, Davos, Brienne, Tyrion, GreyWorm, Sam. And yes, Daenerys too. Literally everybody who opened their mouths, though admittedly dialogue wasn’t really a thing this season. Game of thrones is just too cool for that shit. 

All the characters not killed off this episode: Ghost?

And we really know nothing about Martha. 

All the things not wrong about this episode: most plotpoints with three exceptions (Jon’s fate, King Bran, the wildlings) 

All the things wrong about this episode: the execution of each and every scene (okay, I can name maybe two exceptions) 

It also really really really bothered me that they constantly tried to mirror the Return of the King. As if this fucking show is worthy of even licking the ground the LOTR trilogy walks on. 

But the absolute worst thing about this finale was still a tossup between the grotesque double tone and the ghastly structure. 

Starting with the second. Jon spent less time considering the murder of muh kween than Tyrion did staring sadly into the camera while waking, sitting, standing or lying down. Hell, Jon spent less time considering the murder of muh kween than Tyrion did talking about himself. The first 40 minutes covered one storyline and about three hours. The second 40 minutes covered anything between 2-6 months and at least six different storylines. The first 40 minutes felt like dark, bittersweet intense drama. The second 40 minutes were downright comedy/parody sprinkled with the leftovers of dark bittersweet drama that shifted into majesty climax to the rhythm of Ramin Djawadi’s genius. These were two completely different episodes (possibly with a third inbetween that didn’t make the cut room), linked by one cut that took us from a sad and mediocre finale to a pathetic, Z class one in 2 seconds. 

The scenes’ density were polarized to the extreme. One scene we spent 5 minutes watching  Tyrion walk through the city silently, the other Bran was elected King in 5 minutes. The same amount of screen time was spent on literally nothing at all as on major plotpoints that changed the entire setting of the story. 

This polarity could be detected in the tone of the scenes too. We cut from Edmure Tully and Sansa delivering sitcom humor to Jon being an emotional wreck, then back to democracy humor and onto heartfelt Stark goodbye, and back to small council parody, before bittersweet night’s watch reunion. Can somebody please make up their minds about what I am supposed to feel? Or do you honestly expect me to laugh at Edmure Tully not a full 10  minutes after the main protagonist of 8 years murdered the other main protagonist of 7.5 years and a dragon dramatically destroyed the symbol of the entire universe. How? How am I expected to make that emotional shift in the span of (I should check the exact time) 5-10 minutes? And then you keep dragging me back and forth between comedy and emotional drama. Why?

Archived