[Spoilers] Rant & Rave without Repercussion, Final edition

Ran

56 minutes ago, Hodor's Dragon said:

Although I ultimately went a completely different career direction, when I was a kid I read everything I could find about animal intelligence. I'm also a big dragon fan, so I closely watched the dragons for signs of intelligence. Many dragons in fantasy literature have human intelligence or even greater.

But every sign we have seen for GOT dragons points firmly to animal intelligence. Definitely smarter than cats, perhaps slightly smarter than dogs/horses but that's as far as I would go. Definitely not ape level. Definitely not able to understand an abstraction like the meaning of the Iron Throne.

Hmm, I also somehow just assumed they are intelligent, since from other stories or mythology they are portrayed as intelligent beings - but why didn't the show emphasize that, is beyond me. Drogon, did, however make an intelligent choice at the end. 

5 hours ago, SeanF said:

Now rated 4.5 by 154,000 people on IMDB.

I can remember when the Rant & Rave threads first came out, I was still enjoying the show, and thought you were all a bit eccentric.  Then I found myself increasingly making excuses for the show, as recently as last weekend.  Now, at the end, I realise you were right.

I still love many of the actors' performances, the set pieces, individual scenes, but now realise that the whole thing has been becoming increasingly incoherent from Season 5, improved in Season 6, but really ran off the rails from Season 7.  The teleportation, the wild shifts in character, the facts that are established in one episode only to be contradicted in another, the preference for shock over character development, and finally the  butchery (metaphorically) of characters who we've grown to love from the books and earlier seasons.

It hurts us, it hurts us.

There was a time I enjoyed the show, could laugh at some of it and still enjoy it while nitpicking things I didn't like.  It was at the end of season 4 that I felt it was on a precipice and could fall or make it's way back.  Whelp, it didn't make it's way back.  I'd accepted that long ago, but I am still surprised at how surprised I am at the mess, probably because I still have great admiration and appreciation for the actors.  I still love the glimpses of character and story that I see from them.  Plus, there's no denying it's beautifully shot, and the CGI is amazing.  In the long run, though, it is the strength of the story that matters, and sadly, the Ds let everyone down, from us to cast to crew, IMO.  It's a shame. 

1 hour ago, steenkash said:

The worst part is when he takes out the 'A song of ice and fire' book, I felt like slapping his face right there and then.

I’m beginning to suspect that finding out about the book made Dany snap and rase KL. 

6 minutes ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

There was a time I enjoyed the show, could laugh at some of it and still enjoy it while nitpicking things I didn't like.  It was at the end of season 4 that I felt it was on a precipice and could fall or make it's way back.  Whelp, it didn't make it's way back.  I'd accepted that long ago, but I am still surprised at how surprised I am at the mess, probably because I still have great admiration and appreciation for the actors.  I still love the glimpses of character and story that I see from them.  Plus, there's no denying it's beautifully shot, and the CGI is amazing.  In the long run, though, it is the strength of the story that matters, and sadly, the Ds let everyone down, from us to cast to crew, IMO.  It's a shame. 

I very much agree, well put. 

As to what @SeanF said about how he thought we were a bunch of oddballs at first... well, since this is the end (praise the og and the new), I think we should have a thread about that... maybe titled, "I thought the ranters were mad, but as it turns out... they were right all along". 

:lol:

19 minutes ago, TheFirstofHerName said:

Looks like HBO is anxious to move us on to the prequel.  Just noticed they have a teaser out today. 

DO.

NOT.

WANT.

No way they'll pull me in for any more Game of Thrones on HBO.  Absolutely not.  They clearly don't care enough to step in a paper-swat the Ds on the snout.  Why would I ever trust them to run another story in this universe?

Ladies and gentlemen, this is our chance to ACTUALLY make our voices heard.  The petition, while a statement, won't be noticed by anyone but the intern assigned to write the rebuttal to it.  Not watching the upcoming show will, however, be noticed.  Don't watch it, don't buy the box sets, and don't support the merchandising.  The only thing that matters to media companies is views and dividends.  Don't provide them.

There.  I've said my piece.

25 minutes ago, TheFirstofHerName said:

Looks like HBO is anxious to move us on to the prequel.  Just noticed they have a teaser out today. 

Is that 3 second teaser it? 

Probably because they only have 3 seconds of material to make a show from. 

1 minute ago, kissdbyfire said:

And by the by, still no Outside the Episode to be found anywhere. Damn it. I really needed David and Dan to explain this atrocity to me. Oh well...

Seriously? When they open their mouths they only do it worst...

I am so glad that for once they left the audience alone. 

On 5/20/2019 at 3:43 PM, kissdbyfire said:

There is no hidden agenda, nothing is nothing, and David and Dan suck dragon’s balls as writers. The end. 

LOL!  I am pleased that they had Brienne write Jaime's deeds in the White Book.  If that is one of their promised big reveals right at the end; one of three BIG HINTS given by GRRM in their secret meetings; well then, what have we got?  Hodor, dead Viserion and Brienne.

29 minutes ago, TheFirstofHerName said:

Uh yeah, HBO burned that bridge.

They would have had a gravy train, but D&D fucked it up for them. Hope they realize it.

Just now, Nightwish said:

Come on, the comedic value of those videos is the best thing about the show!!! 

Dany forgot about the iron fleet, Euron wasn't paying attention, and on and on they go, illustrating perfectly that they're clueless hacks.

4 minutes ago, LynnS said:

LOL!  I am pleased that they had Brienne write Jaime's deeds in the White Book.  If that is one of their promised big reveals right at the end; one of three BIG HINTS given by GRRM in their secret meetings; well then, what have we got?  Hodor, dead Viserion and Brienne.

But but but... wham bam, no thank you ma'am, and she feels she has to lie while writing his entry because he deserves better? 

Sorry, I get very upset when I think about what they've done to Jaime. And we had NCW, so perfect, so deliciously gorgeous, such an amazing actor... but no, can't have that, so let's fuck the character as badly as we can. I hate this show. :tantrum:

:)

12 minutes ago, Nightwish said:

I have grown to love the Behind the Episode pieces. They are as delicious as a heaping spoonful of warn Nutella mixed with comedy gold.

5 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Come on, the comedic value of those videos is the best thing about the show!!! 

Dany forgot about the iron fleet, Euron wasn't paying attention, and on and on they go, illustrating perfectly that they're clueless hacks.

Probably got a PR team and told them to shut up :lmao: Better late than never. 

Or just decided to pack the money, take holidays on an exotic island and never look back. All I can think of is that they will be probably somewhere out there  laughing their ass out that this soap opera fantasy cross mix did made them for the rest of their lives.  

55 minutes ago, TheFirstofHerName said:

Didn't watch. I'm not interested.

There was never a real point to this prequel. A fusion between the Age of Heroes and the first Long Night but in the Bronze Age without any of the cool, intriguing stuff of A Song of Ice and Fire? Do we need a whole series on this when it literally could have been all done in a flashback episode courtesy of Bran?

Now, this prequel is a waste of time and money.

Why feature all of this magic in a prequel spinoff that ultimately does absolutely nothing and is unexplained in the flagship series? The fact that they will even attempt to try to finish dropped plotlines and tie up dozens of loose ends with a prequel is insane. Literally.

32 minutes ago, Nightwish said:

How much do you wanna bet that they actually filmed a Inside the Episode segment for this but HBO saw the criticism and the satire, watched the trash that was the final episode, watched the Inside the Episode segment and were like "Nah bruh...let's just end it all" and threw it in the trash.

I laughed when I saw that there was no Inside the Episode afterwards

I hope Disney reconsiders their contract with them on Star Wars. The franchise is already struggling; they don't need Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum screwing it up even more.

1 minute ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

Didn't watch. I'm not interested.

There was never a real point to this prequel. A fusion between the Age of Heroes and the first Long Night but in the Bronze Age without any of the cool, intriguing stuff of A Song of Ice and Fire? Do we need a whole series on this when it literally could have been all done in a flashback episode courtesy of Bran?

Now, this prequel is a waste of time and money.

Why feature all of this magic in a prequel spinoff that ultimately does absolutely nothing and is unexplained in the flagship series? The fact that they will even attempt to try to finish dropped plotlines and tie up dozens of loose ends with a prequel is insane. Literally.

How much do you wanna bet that they actually filmed a Inside the Episode segment for this but HBO saw the criticism and the satire, watched the trash that was the final episode, watched the Inside the Episode segment and were like "Nah bruh...let's just end it all" and threw it in the trash.

I laughed when I saw that there was no Inside the Episode afterwards

I hope Disney reconsiders their contract with them on Star Wars. The franchise is already struggling; they don't need Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum screwing it up even more.

I honestly hope so. 

30 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Sorry, I get very upset when I think about what they've done to Jaime. And we had NCW, so perfect, so deliciously gorgeous, such an amazing actor... but no, can't have that, so let's fuck the character as badly as we can. I hate this show. :tantrum:

:)

It's infuriating! They actually pitched Jaime's character to NCW as one who would go on to have an amazing storyline and now they kinda... forgot about it? ;) 

9 minutes ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

I agree with you. And hope that one day someone leaks this inside the episode. It should be epic.

Archived