[Spoilers] Rant & Rave without Repercussion, Final edition

Ran

9 minutes ago, Nightwish said:

No, it was actually about the Starks, all other stories could be changed, cut and it wouldn't make a difference. 

Based on the show only?  Absolutely.  Everything else was window dressing.  Honestly, the way they ended it, they could have just had the Stark children play-act like they were taking over the kingdom, skip the rest of the bullshit and just given us an hour or so drama as imagined by the Starks when they were still in Winterfell.  Get ol' Nan to throw in something about the threat from the north just for them to mock her over and there you go.  None of the rest of what happened means anything.

10 minutes ago, Beardy the Wildling said:

I know, but you'd be amazed how r/freefolk are. Some are disenfranchised from Season 8, and my first thoughts are 'did you not watch Seasons 5-7 or something?'

Yep. The things we've been saying for years, some people are now finally saying it for season 8 as if the same crap was not happening for years before. I saw someone on io9 complaining that Arya's white horse scene was what finally put them over the edge with the show. I mean, yes, that was crap. But did they not watch shirtless Ramsey killing soldiers in season 5? Or the Sand snakes? Or Gendry running hundreds of miles back to Eastwatch in the matter of about an hour?

With all the other dumpster fires, I haven't ranted about this one enough.

Stabbing the antagonist with a knife, duh?As  @kissdbyfire and @The Fattest Leechpoint out, the knife doesn't even make it to her heart. I don't dare re-watch this rubbish, but was she stabbed on her right side with a knife? Arya and Jamie survived much worse. How did she die that quickly?

But leaving that aside, I know we're all about subverting tropes here, but really the protagonist stabs the recently turned antagonist with a knife? A bleeding knife? A random bleeding knife? This is the big finale of hundreds of hours of a magical fantasy epic, with fire magic, ice demons, skin changing, Dragon-bonding, special swords, Lightbringer prophesies? And the Dragon throws a tantrum and flies away? GTFO.

Stabbing her with a knife! FFS. Somebody tell the Mayor of London's point person for knife crime. Ah no, wait ....

6 minutes ago, Ser Hedge said:

With all the other dumpster fires, I haven't ranted about this one enough.

Stabbing the antagonist with a knife, duh?As  @kissdbyfire and @The Fattest Leechpoint out, the knife doesn't even make it to her heart. I don't dare re-watch this rubbish, but was she stabbed on her right side with a knife? Arya and Jamie survived much worse. How did she die that quickly?

But leaving that aside, I know we're all about subverting tropes here, but really the protagonist stabs the recently turned antagonist with a knife? A bleeding knife? A random bleeding knife? This is the big finale of hundreds of hours of a magical fantasy epic, with fire magic, ice demons, skin changing, Dragon-bonding, special swords, Lightbringer prophesies? And the Dragon throws a tantrum and flies away? GTFO.

Stabbing her with a knife! FFS. Somebody tell the Mayor of London's point person for knife crime. Ah no, wait ....

Don't forget how she died in like 5 seconds, without ever uttering a single last word. 
Everything about how she died was tragic and horrible. 

Here's hoping that she'll return in a potential sequel in 10-20 years time. They did leave the door open for her to potentially return, what with Drogon flying away with her body and Sam mentioning that he was last seen flying towards Volantis (Kinvara and the high seat of the red priests.)

Just now, MinscS2 said:

Don't forget how she died in like 5 seconds, without ever uttering a single last word. 

Everything about how she died was horrible. 

Yeah, even some terrible cliche would have been better than no last words at all.  All of that story, and she's rendered mute when she dies.  

I was impressed from the first season at how convincingly and fluidly Emilia Clarke delivered her lines that were Valyrian and Dothraki.  

I don't like that it was spoken that there must two mass murdering queens and the truly evil - mad one gets a sweet death (compared to what she done over the years), while Daenyrs gets what she does.  But it did feel to me that finally Emilia Clarke got to act in the last episodes, and she was up to it.  That speech, as horrifying as was the vision of what she thought was good, delivered to the roaring, rearing crowd of unsullied and Dothraki, was truly well done.

18 minutes ago, MinscS2 said:

Everything about how she died was tragic and horrible. 

Here's hoping that she'll return in a potential sequel in 10-20 years time. They did leave the door open for her to potentially return, what with Drogon flying away with her body and Sam mentioning that he was last seen flying towards Volantis (Kinvara and the high seat of the red priests.)

I hope not.  Dany deserves to rest in peace.

48 minutes ago, Dragons Are Real said:

Based on the show only?  Absolutely.  Everything else was window dressing.  Honestly, the way they ended it, they could have just had the Stark children play-act like they were taking over the kingdom, skip the rest of the bullshit and just given us an hour or so drama as imagined by the Starks when they were still in Winterfell.  Get ol' Nan to throw in something about the threat from the north just for them to mock her over and there you go.  None of the rest of what happened means anything.

Yes exactly, is not suprising that it has no meaning at all in the end, since any potential meaning is sacrificed so that Starks get rewards. Rewards that were not even earned as the script presents them. John moves to the North to make room for Sansa and Bran to take positions of status, and Arya goes west. So conveniently put that the rest of the characters in the council had to spit democracy in the face and declare that they couldn’t live without a king for Westeros.

Hello, 8 seasons of wars were not capable of teaching them something?

But if they accept it how will Bran become King and Sansa Queen?

There goes the meaning down the drain. Of course the North must stay independent so Sansa can be Queen.

Now for the rest of the characters that didn’t make it up to here, it doesn’t matter. 

Since the main characters can’t bring meaning apparently nothing could. 

7 minutes ago, SeanF said:

I hope not.  Dany deserves to rest in peace.

She does, but she won't have peace after that death. Her death is basically the 101 of how vengeful, unresting spirits or banshee's are made in fantasy: Betrayal at the hands of someone she trusted and loved. 

4 minutes ago, MinscS2 said:

She does, but she won't have peace after that death. Her death is basically the 101 of how vengeful, unresting spirits or banshee's are made in fantasy: Betrayal at the hands of someone she trusted and loved. 

I'm more concerned that D & D would trash her character further. 

2 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Her death definitely leaves the door open that if Emilia ever becomes desperate for money in 10 or 20 years she can come back as Zombie Fire Wight Dany.

Coincidentally, I think Emilia might very well be one of the easiest of the "old cast" to get on board for a sequel.

The hate and dislike that we, the fanbase feel for what they did to her character, is nothing compared what Emilia herself feels.
Throw some money in her face, mention broadly something about Daenerys being resurrected and having some sort of redemption arc and you'll have her mounted in-front of a green screen, speaking valyrian in no time.

9 minutes ago, MinscS2 said:

Of course, she had to turn evil and die So Sansa can be queen and Bran take the throne. Why? Well because...they are the heroes. 

Perhaps this is a story about a story which doesn’t even recognize its own heroes. 

2 minutes ago, SeanF said:

I'm more concerned that D & D would trash her character further. 

I'm not, because I doubt they would willingly ever touch anything aSoIaF-related again. This whole mess is rooted in them being bored with the universe, remember?

I also doubt that anyone in charge with half a brain would let them write a potential sequel, especially if the rights have changed owner.
(Like Star Wars did with Disney.)

I wish they'd given Dany the dignity of at least remembering Drogo, who really did love her, and didn't murder her, as she was dying... that was actually part of her story that they'd meet again... She did, after all, name her dragon after him, but whatever.

If they wanted to do something at long last for readers, they might actually show faithful book versions reacting to their destroyed show versions. I've always thought it would be funny to see the real Sansa absolutely appalled by Sandra, who is no lady, and forgot Lady.

26 minutes ago, MinscS2 said:

Coincidentally, I think Emilia might very well be one of the easiest of the "old cast" to get on board for a sequel.

The hate and dislike that we, the fanbase feel for what they did to her character, is nothing compared what Emilia herself feels.
Throw some money in her face, mention broadly something about Daenerys being resurrected and having some sort of redemption arc and you'll have her mounted in-front of a green screen, speaking valyrian in no time.

Did you read her interview in New Yorker?  It was excellent.  She seems like such a nice person.  I have been highly critical of her acting, which after finding out about her brain issues, I of course felt guilty, but she really killed it as 'mad Dany' so I hope her career does well from here.

2 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Did you read her interview in New Yorker?  It was excellent.  She seems like such a nice person.  I have been highly critical of her acting, which after finding out about her brain issues, I of course felt guilty, but she really killed it as 'mad Dany' so I hope her career does well from here.

It was an excellent article.  She was very professional and mature when answering the questions.  I hope she has a bright future ahead for her.  She is definitely one of my favs.

4 hours ago, SeanF said:

I think the last three episodes were D & D giving us the finger.

What's infuriating is that Episode 5 is visually stunning, but turned out to be just an excuse to get Daenerys out of the way at the end   What I had hoped for in the final episode was her providing a reasoned, if cruel, justification for her actions, setting up a real moral dilemma for Jon. eg her saying "I take no pleasure in any of this, but my enemies have to know that when they defy me, they will lose everything.  I hope there will never be any need to do this again."   But, no she's just become a mad Nazi who wants to conquer the world, and it's obvious she just has to be put down. 

Then just a load of random stuff, most of which makes no sense.  Either Drogon or Dany's bodyguards should have killed Jon on the spot.   Bran has none of the qualifications for kinship;  Bronn has none of the qualifications for being Master of Coin;  Edmure is there as a butt monkey;  Yara forgets that the Iron Islands are now independent;  nobody minds the North declaring independence. 

Or even Daario. He would not have let Jon kill her. Daario got a happy ending!

The show just made me want the books even more, so we get the real story.

Archived