[Spoilers] Rant & Rave without Repercussion, Final edition

Ran

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA SPOT ON!

People were mad about the final season of Game of Thrones, and not just because everyone’s wig looked like hell. They complained about plot points, character arcs, thematic development — pretty much everything other than the visuals.

<snip>

This peek behind the curtains revealed that Benioff and Weiss were the real gods in Westeros, as they explained their decisions about the fate of men and nations with the passion of a dentist excavating a bad tooth. For example, in season seven we learned that Sansa was scared of her sister, because we were shown a clip of Arya threatening her life, followed by Weiss gravely intoning, “I think Sansa is bringing with her a real fear about the idea that Arya might really want to murder her.”

These segments should have been fascinating, given that Benioff and Weiss are at the absolute pinnacle of their field. They’re explaining how they make a piece of art whose cultural footprint has barely any rivals, aside from the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and Beyoncé. 

<snip>

But as others have pointed out, during this final, controversial season Benioff and Weiss have not impressed with their performances in the postmortems. Take the second-to-last episode, which featured a number of divisive plot developments. The “Inside the Episode” segment starts with relative promise: Benioff emphasizes that Daenerys’s isolation at the critical stage of the war contributed to her going Sicko Mode. It then sort of goes off the rails, with commentary ranging from the obvious (Arya and the Hound’s final conversation represents the “culmination of their story together”) to the baffling (Varys is Tyrion’s “best friend,” something which must’ve happened off-screen?). It’s hard to see how any of their commentary deepens or enriches our understanding of what we literally just watched. At one point, Weiss says that Arya serves as a “Virgil” figure in the final sequence, guiding us through the Daenerys’ inferno. This is probably the most adventurous either of them get, and it’s a metaphor that, charitably, is in the vicinity of apt.

<snip>

“Inside the Episode” segments reflect the fact that even an audience tends to watch television shows as a sequence of choices by the showrunners, that alongside our reactions to events depicted in a show, we evaluate its showrunners’ performance. Yes, Jon and Daenerys are stupid for their idea of capturing a wight beyond the Wall, but more importantly, Benioff and Weiss are even dumber. After all, they’re really the ones who came up with it, and who expected us to accept it. (Unless, of course, George R. R. Martin came up with it, which mostly hasn’t been the case for a few years.)

So when Benioff and Weiss monotonously explain the subtext of a Thronesscene, or ground a certain event in the history of the show, what they’re doing is appealing to the cultural merit attached to prestige television, while also presenting themselves for the slaughter. Subtext, complexity, and surprise — these are what separate their shows from mere TV. This should have the bonus effect of serving as a preemptive response to criticism. If you had paid close enough attention, they imply, then you would understand that every plot point is an imminently justified artistic decision. Unfortunately, they aren’t able to pull off the performance required (“Dany kind of forgot about the Iron Fleet”) and they end up looking like two guys who are just sort of winging it. Every week of the disappointing final season, thousands of people were looking for someone to blame, and immediately found it.

Yep. One of those idiots thinking it would pay off? Right here. I mean, I totally came in late to the party - about season 5, which I then realized was already screwy - but come on! I will march over your cold corpses a la Stark Trek? Nope, torally not Khan. Remember that pos? This was the same crap spelt backwards. 

Night king? Novel idea. A boss to smash and everyone of the cronies wilts like limp ice cream. I thought the ninja do was way awesome. Vomit.

Mad queen? Zero exposure to her actual development. Daenerys was a bitch in black who wanted to be Queen. Hello. Sansa? Whatchu doin' back there?

Bran the freakin' zombie face? 'You were right were you were supposed to be.' Yeah, now piss off. 

I give a flying fig about the actors' boohoo moment. They did their job. But forhive us paying costumers if we aren't happy with this steaming pile. 

I certainly would like the tragic boy kills girl, horse, sorry, dragon flies off into the sunset cliché to be the actual ending. Fir the whole reason that if it's done properly - pray to any pantheon, og and the finicky seven top, it'll be the sort of drama that'll have my family looking sideways at me for being stupidly bawling my eyes out over a book. 

BREAK THE DAMN WHEEL. Exactly what got her betrayed, desperate, crazy and dead.

Patriarchy wins.

Politics and schemers, liars and cowards all, win.

The end. 

Fuck u kindly.

Seriously. The North is now an independent kingdom ruled by a Stark. BUT they also have a Stark ruling the 6 remaning Kingdoms. LMAO.

I give 6 months until civil wars starts. First Dorne will rebel followed by the Iron Islands. In my headcanon all these characters die in this civil war in a very gruesome manner. Drogon comes back to torch Kit Harington. And Dany has the last laugh that all those who plotted to see her demise died horrifically.

Well that was a disappointment. And even my fiancé who defended the show like crazy day there at the end of the episode and looked at me like, well that sucked 5 out of 10! 

I mean if they had done something like ended it by showing drogon landing in some secret children of the forest base camp with dead Dany and then have her open her blue eyes. That might have somewhat salvaged something . And even that sounds stupid but it would have been something better than what we got.... 

I don’t know, just beyond disappointed. 

Just now, Nami said:

No more rant and rave threads which is what I get excited for since season 3

There's so much to complain about the show that we can probably keep going for YEARS! :D

9 minutes ago, Nami said:

No more rant and rave threads which is what I get excited for since season 3

Hmmmm, when I get to my computer I just may do something I’ve wanted to do for a while. 

I LOVE this guy. His recaps are so spot on and totally hilarious! 

This is how he ended:

"For those that checked in every week, hit me in the off-season, poked me with a stick on Monday mornings, and shared the recaps far and wide, I can’t thank y’all enough. The catalog will always be on this site for folks that want to revisit the series but disconnected their HBO at 11pm EST time on Sunday. I’ll catch y’all somewhere else in the realm. More than likely in Naath." :lol:

On 5/19/2019 at 10:40 PM, Frey family reunion said:

Umm, so can someone explain the last scene to me?

Jon, just said fuck it, and broke his oath again to live up north?  I mean north north.

They have all of that land in Brandon's gift, and they still kick all of the wildlings north of the Wall?  Did Donald Trump write this episode?

The grass always appears greener on the other side.....until you’ve tried it out.  I don’t think the wildlings felt like they fit in and were accepted.   Some of them probably liked it south of the wall but not all them.  They wanted to go home.  They just wanted the freedom to wander without the confines of the Wall and to getaway from the White Walkers.   I don’t think there is a real NW anymore. It was just a ruse by Tyrion to convince GW not to kill Jon.  The only folks there when they opened the gates were Tormund and the wildlings.  The supposedly NW who accompanied him had no fresh recruits with them and let Jon lead.  

One more thing that never came to be utilised: Dany's fireproofness. Last time she used it was in khal barbecue, one would have expected that it should matter somehow in the finale. - Also, it was never explained how come NK was fireproof, was he a secret Targ? Methinks that would have been something rather cool to explore.

BTW, did Jon's hand get burnt on the show? Shouldn't he be fireproof, too? Because Drogon blasting him to no effect would be pretty cool, IMHO, and give people some ideas. Plus, it might serve as an explanation why Greyworm didn't off him then and there.

On 5/22/2019 at 1:51 AM, kissdbyfire said:

Oh definitely! But yeah, she kind wrote some bs to make him look better [than he deserved]. And I say this as Jaime’s # 1 fan. :crying:

Sounds fair, since D&D always wrote him much worse than he was.

1 hour ago, Ygrain said:

BTW, did Jon's hand get burnt on the show? Shouldn't he be fireproof, too? Because Drogon blasting him to no effect would be pretty cool, IMHO, and give people some ideas. Plus, it might serve as an explanation why Greyworm didn't off him then and there.

Yes Jon's hand get burnt. But, they could at least have shown Drogon refusing to blast Jon, implying understanding/forgiveness… It would have impressed Greyworm…

8 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

That’s the real bittersweet of the series ending, no more PJ recap videos :(

That's my situation too. I'm eagerly waiting for Preston's review, in order to get some closure on this whole ting! But hey, no pressure, Preston Jacobs :)

11 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

his peek behind the curtains revealed that Benioff and Weiss were the real gods in Westeros

Exactly! They could replace the wolf on the Stark banner with the mugs of D&D,  Sandkings style. 

Archived