[Spoilers] Rant & Rave without Repercussion, Final edition

Ran

Did anyone notice that as the story telling became weaker, the soundtrack went 'hey, I could listen to this?'. 

Coming from someone who listened to the Lotr score until I honestly got sick of it? 

When Cersei blew the Sept, I was honestly Team Mad Lion Biatch because the music gave me feels.

During the Short Night, since battle tactics were obvs a bust, they used The Night King track to make us go weepy. 

When CleganeBowl came to an end, it was all beautiful violin and epic shit.

When Jon had to murder the woman he loves for the good of the many? Zilch effort in comparison. Lets just gt it over with and get the Drogon torching that fugly chair.

Stark happy end montage? Back to the pretty violins.

Transparent much? Give the audience their chance to emote. Don't push your 'evul bitch from the beggining' thing down our throats. 

They made you feel sorry for Cersei. But not the chick who died betrayed by everyone?

39 minutes ago, It_spelt_Magalhaes said:

When Cersei blew the Sept, I was honestly Team Mad Lion Biatch because the music gave me feels.

As much as I loved the scene, I will probably remember it as the moment when the world started feeling... less rich. Emptier. Not only was there nobody to take Margery's place as a scheming wild card, but it was more than a little weird that the people of King's Landing just accepted what had happened and never became an obstacle for Cersei ever again.

1 minute ago, Vanadis said:

it was more than a little weird that the people of King's Landing just accepted what had happened and never became an obstacle for Cersei ever again

Which would make their deaths by Dany even more tragic.

Just now, Vanadis said:

As much as I loved the scene, I will probably remember it as the moment when the world started feeling... less rich. Emptier. Not only was there nobody to take Margery's place as a scheming wild card, but it was more than a little weird that the people of King's Landing just accepted what had happened and never became an obstacle for Cersei ever again.

Yep. But the music was awesome. As the cgi explosion was... the bomb.

Sigh.

Also, Cersei's propaganda game was very effective. 

If the likes of, say, Varys had any true intention of putting a Targaryen, any Targaryen, on the IT, what the hell?

She had dragons and an army of fabled savages. Shouldn't someone have started manipulatong events inside KL and close to the remaining great Houses to at least facilitate Daenerys' chosen persona of a liberator instead of allowing the Lannister version of events to stand?

It's kind of ridiculous that they ended it with an election, but even medieval warfare had a PR component.

13 hours ago, Nami said:

Drogon comes back to torch Kit Harington.

Nah, see, he somehow understood the philosophical implications of her death, that seeking power was the true aunt-killer. He then flew off with Dany's corpse to Harvard to finish his English Literature PhD.

15 hours ago, Dragons Are Real said:

There were a lot of folks that thought all the horrible writing decisions were going to pay off in some spectacular manner as the show wound down.  This season was where people couldn't keep saying, "It'll pay off later.  You'll see!"  And had to start accepting that no, this isn't some epic set up.  This is the end.  The end of all those "pay off later" moments amounted to a fart in the wind, though with less actual substance.

So much this, how many times did you hear excuses to the writing that are summed up to "it'll get better/it'll be a bigger twist"

The two that come to mind that I heard plenty of are Arya did actually die/is till in Bravos and that's Jaqen H'ghar or the waif impersonating her in Westeros. Or my personal favorite Baelish didn't really die like a bitch he is really an agent of the faceless men and that is a different one pretending to be him so he can still be an agent of chaos.

I would always reply to these that if you needed to make up a worse story that makes even less sense to justify the bad writing, chances are it's just bad writing and you need to admit it.

Season 8 was the avalanche end of the snowball effect that had been growing for several seasons.

12 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

There's so much to complain about the show that we can probably keep going for YEARS! :D

And don't forget about the "numerous" sequels and prequels that may be coming down the pike. There may be plenty of crap to come to rant about.

15 hours ago, Stomalomalus said:

You know what I hate the most?

All it would have taken is 5-6 more episodes to give it an ending it deserved. I mean...I have no problem with the actual endings, just how we got there. Which was unbelievably half arsed.

I've seen this a lot and I have have one issue with it.

Would more time and episodes have helped? Yes, yes it would.

Would more time and episodes helped with D&D at the helm? Nope, nope it wouldn't.

How much time has been wasted the last several seasons with pointless filler? How many times did we watch Arya get beat up with a stick and not progress? How much of the last episode was slow walking with solemn characters? How many wasteful added storylines like Greyworm and Missendre's love affair were added while important plot lines were cut? How many important scenes in general happened off screen because they can't write a compelling story? The biggest offense to this in my opinion was a couple seasons ago they had a few scenes with Tyrion, Missendre and Greyworm in Meereen where they actually talk about how they have nothing to talk about :bang:

The issue was that D&D are not good at writing stories and did not have a clue what to do with the characters, and more time and episodes wouldn't have turned them into competent writers. 

6 minutes ago, LokisRaider said:

The biggest offense to this in my opinion was a couple seasons ago they had a few scenes with Tyrion, Missendre and Greyworm in Meereen where they actually talk about how they have nothing to talk about :bang:

"It's what I do.  I drink, and I know things."

That line reverberates down the hallways of the Hall of Fame for Shit Dialog.  It's a punchline without the setup.  A motto for t-shirts and coffee mugs from a character that had been an intelligent source of massive knowledge in the early seasons, but by that point had been reduced to bad advice at worse moments in between one-line zingers about cocks and drinking.

GAH!

8 minutes ago, LokisRaider said: The biggest offense to this in my opinion was a couple seasons ago they had a few scenes with Tyrion, Missendre and Greyworm in Meereen where they actually talk about how they have nothing to talk about :bang:
Just now, Dragons Are Real said:

"It's what I do.  I drink, and I know things."

And the "I can't swim but I can call for help in 19 languages" :rolleyes:  I guess everyone was hypnotized by Missandei's sex appeal… (including me)

Remember back when Dany was in Essos and nobody much paid attention to her in Westeros? Cersei blew up the frickin' Vatican and for all everyone knows assassinated her son. Then she assumed the throne despite having no claim. (And if she did have a claim, I think Jaime would be ahead of her.) Are we supposed to believe Qyburn was her Goebbels and tricked her subjects into accepting her?

Because I think she should have lasted as long as it took to kill Zombie Mountain. Cersei isn't good at propaganda. She's simply played by an actress the show likes. 

Okay, she made some good arguments in front of Randall Tarly. But there's really no reason he should take the word of a kinsexer and mass murderess who killed his liege-lord and Queen.

47 minutes ago, Nowy Tends said:

Drogon had plenty of time to read and study when he was locked up in Meereen…

He was going through a Holden Caufield phase then flying around the Dothraki sea. Torching KL was his 'nam tour of duty, now he's gone full hippie :laugh:

15 minutes ago, darmody said:

Remember back when Dany was in Essos and nobody much paid attention to her in Westeros? Cersei blew up the frickin' Vatican and for all everyone knows assassinated her son. Then she assumed the throne despite having no claim. (And if she did have a claim, I think Jaime would be ahead of her.) Are we supposed to believe Qyburn was her Goebbels and tricked her subjects into accepting her?

Because I think she should have lasted as long as it took to kill Zombie Mountain. Cersei isn't good at propaganda. She's simply played by an actress the show likes. 

Okay, she made some good arguments in front of Randall Tarly. But there's really no reason he should take the word of a kinsexer and mass murderess who killed his liege-lord and Queen.

The show might have done something interesting if they showed how Cersei was mercilessly killing anyone who dissented and spending her time quelling riots while Dany was obsessing about her battle strategy, e.g. Cersei will appear more powerful from the outside, and a more realistic aftermath of the sept would have also given Lena something to do as an actress beyond stare out the window.  Then it would turn out that beating Cersei was really easy, and Dany, being frustrated that the battle is over so quickly torches the city. 

Archived