[Spoilers] Rant & Rave without Repercussion, Final edition

Ran

12 minutes ago, Ser Hedge said:

This is going to be an inchoate rant about a topic already ranted about. I just needed to rant again, sorry!

That great council dumpster fire.

UGH UGH UGH. Did you really have to remind me of that scene? W/o a doubt, one of the worse and more nonsensical scenes on GoT ever, and that’s saying a LOT. 

Edmure Tully. Wtf?

That was awful. Tobias Menzies was there as a glorified extra, just so Sansa could have another mean girl line. Stupid. 

A slapstick stand up routine?

Shouldn’t a stand up routine be funny though? Cuz that scene was actually tragic. 

All those 'Lords' cavorting about the Dragonpit Coliseum (why there?) just completely killed the world GRRM had created.

Creatively? It made sense? Who cares.

Gendry's legitimization is official? (Btw, how does he feel about the KL massacre, he grew up there. Yet it was the crazy flying flamethrower lady who made him a Lord, should have made for an interesting exposition in the right hands.)

Joe Dempsie, another extra only slightly less glorified than Tobias Menzies, since all he got was ONE FUCKING WORD. 

Why does Dorne not say, if she's going, I'm going.

Why don’t they all? 

Why is Sandra going anyway? Why does Bran give her independence anyway?

No idea. But so cool? NOT. 

Wtf is wrong with Yara? You are independent anyway since S6. The mad Queen was handing out independence deeds left, right and centre. All you had to do was ask.

Apparently asking wasn’t required. Just tell them, like Sansa did. A mystery.

Why is Sam in his NW jerkin, but voting? Wtf?

Don’t get me started on Sam, please. I love the book character, but the show’s version is a douche, a totally spineless arsehole. And he’s Grand Maester??? What the actual fuck. He dropped out, stole property, shacked up w/ Gilly. And he didn’t say anything in Jon’s defence, wtf? One or two episodes before he was telling Jon how Jon is his bestie, if his kid is a boy he’ll name him Jon, and then... nothing. And I really like John Bradley, and that only makes it even worse.

Who are the other blokes, just Hightower and maybe Redwine since no Tyrell? What about other Reach Houses?

Those are extras w/o any of the “glory” bestowed on Menzies and Dempsie. They are... whoever the viewer wants them to be? It’s interactive TV, so edgy! You pick whoever you want them to be, and that’s who they are. Except for the Dornish bloke, who is obviously, well, Dornish b/c he has brown-ish skin and dresses in yellow. Hacks.

How is Bran's 3ER power just accepted?

If they know about it, is that not creepy?

Because he has all the stories? Whatever that means. 

Bloodraven as king?

Now, that’s an idea I can totally get behind! :commie:

So happy my darling Bloodraven never made it into this shitfest. 

If they don't know about it, why is he a good king. At least have uncle and cousin vote for him + Tyrion + his own north vote, that's a majority. Yara voting out of guilt what Theon did to the boy, maybe. It's still bullshit of course, but an attempt to make it like there is some logic here.

If they cared we wouldn’t be here. We’d be over at the praise the show thread. 

How did Jon as king not even come up?

Who?

To be a king you need a story? The boy who fell from a tower? WtaF?

How is this different from anything that happened before? Who is around if Hightower and other lords decide to off the new Lord in Highgarden?

Are all the men of military age dead, is that why no one is looking for a fight? Who killed all the  Dornishmen then? Stormlanders who did not march with Stannis? Riverlanders, no that can't be it then.

If they had all fought the recent wars against ice and fire together, then you could say, yeah maybe, they're tired of war, but ask those dudes have been chilling since the WOT5K. Except those who did not fight even there.

Why is Dorne cool with this? Is that bloke a Yronwood who needs legitimacy from the IT to keep any Martell-Sand claimants down ?

Just Drogon melting the spiky chair automatically makes this a friendlier monarchy?

And all Westerland houses are cool with the imp? Kinslayer?

What about the crownlands, oh sod it!

What a cartoon scene that was. Absolute trash.

All very good questions. Not a single one will ever be answered. :D

52 minutes ago, Ser Hedge said:

Wtf is wrong with Yara? You are independent anyway since S6. The mad Queen was handing out independence deeds left, right and centre. All you had to do was ask.

Why was yara even in the council? Aren t the 6 kingdoms dorne, reach, stormlands,riverlands, vale and the westerlands?

WHAT THE FUCK IS YARA DOING THERE!?

Imagine if someone had told you after the season 5 finale that yes Jon Snow would be resurrected, learn that he is the legitimate heir to the Iron throne, assemble two armies on two separate occasions and effectively lose in both instances if it weren't for his sisters and the only influence he had on the outcome of the entire story was to stab Daenerys to death. You would've cancelled your HBO subscription there and then, you would've deleted all your game of thrones episodes, snapped your blu-ray discs in half.

7 minutes ago, darksellsword said:

Imagine if someone had told you after the season 5 finale that yes Jon Snow would be resurrected, learn that he is the legitimate heir to the Iron throne, assemble two armies on two separate occasions and effectively lose in both instances if it weren't for his sisters and the only influence he had on the outcome of the entire story was to stab Daenerys to death. You would've cancelled your HBO subscription there and then, you would've deleted all your game of thrones episodes, snapped your blu-ray discs in half.

Didn’t need any of that... after series 5 and Sansa and Stannis and Ramsay’s 20 Good Men I did cancel HBO, I gave away the Blu-rays I had for s1, and 2 - didn’t buy any after that, and also gave the GoT (HBO) tees I had. :D

Every time I think I am done ranting, I have to come back.  As I think about various parts of the finale, I realize that it makes no sense and I return here to  post my problem.

I do not believe Bran should be King, and if I have to,  then I conceive of Bran as an evil King.  Bran tells Tyrion that he wants nothing, he says "I don't want".  Yet, later at the 3 Stooges Council, after nominated as King, Bran says 'why do you think I came all this way?"  So Bran must want.  He wants so much that he organized things to happen in a particular way, watched friends die, and showed up for his coronation.  That is the only way to make sense.  If we argue that Bran wants nothing and simply watched events unfold, then why does he say -- why do you think I came all this way?  The sentence connotes expectation, an expectation to be met.  Why does Bran have an expectation, if he wants nothing.

Now I know why Bran told Sam he had to tell Jon about his claim to the throne.  Bran needed Jon to tell Dany, cause Dany to worry about her claim, put distance in their relationship, stop intimacy as we saw, and tip Dany off the edge - all because Bran wanted to be King. 

Or nothing at the 3 Stooges Council made sense and this is just one rant among many.  If you go character by character, that council made little to no sense at all.  And D&D are passing off that crap as a finale. We did we ever do to them?

On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 10:15 AM, Wsc48 said:

Should be dead.

Daenerys should have killed him when she killed varys as Tyrion told Varys about Jon without informing her. That's treacherous. 

Cersei should have killed him with arrows at the parlay. Daenerys should have been informed immediately after Jamie escaped and killed him. And why did he suddenly care about Cersei...at all? 

Jon should have died first by Drogon and if not that, as soon as he confessed to greyworm, instant death. But it happened off screen so maybe we aren't supposed to think about it?

The only thing I can come up with on Greyworm is that he was trained from an early age to be an automaton who follows orders without question or application of independent logic.  The latest example was after the KL battle when he continued slaughtering defeated/surrendered Lannister soldiers based on 'orders'.

Once Dany was dead, and in the absence of anyone new to give orders (such as to kill Jon), Greyworm was in a bit of a holding pattern. 

It would also explain why he seemed OK-ish with allowing a king to be selected to ultimately decide the fate of Jon and Tyrion.  At the end of the day, Greyworm was more comfortable with others making decisions/issuing orders.

I know it's weak, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

35 minutes ago, TheFirstofHerName said:

Wow!Just learned things could have been worse for Dany.  Jorah was set to betray her too and side with Tyrion and Varys.  He was then suppose to take the Black too and go ranging with Jon in the end.   This video explains it with the deleted scenes.

Just when you think that no (alternative) ending would've been worse than the one we actually got...

Jorah would *never* betray Daenerys, not even to save the entire world.
The fact that D&D even considered this at one point...well it really doesn't surprise me I guess.

3 hours ago, darksellsword said:

You'd think you were reading some kind of trollfic, at any rate.

4 hours ago, divica said:

Why was yara even in the council? Aren t the 6 kingdoms dorne, reach, stormlands,riverlands, vale and the westerlands?

WHAT THE FUCK IS YARA DOING THERE!?

Yara forgot that Dany gave the Iron Islands their independence at the end of Season 6.

Maybe every decision that Dany took is now countermanded because she was an evil usurper, but logic and consistency went out the window ages ago.

2 hours ago, lakin1013 said:

Every time I think I am done ranting, I have to come back.  As I think about various parts of the finale, I realize that it makes no sense and I return here to  post my problem.

I do not believe Bran should be King, and if I have to,  then I conceive of Bran as an evil King.  Bran tells Tyrion that he wants nothing, he says "I don't want".  Yet, later at the 3 Stooges Council, after nominated as King, Bran says 'why do you think I came all this way?"  So Bran must want.  He wants so much that he organized things to happen in a particular way, watched friends die, and showed up for his coronation.  That is the only way to make sense.  If we argue that Bran wants nothing and simply watched events unfold, then why does he say -- why do you think I came all this way?  The sentence connotes expectation, an expectation to be met.  Why does Bran have an expectation, if he wants nothing.

Now I know why Bran told Sam he had to tell Jon about his claim to the throne.  Bran needed Jon to tell Dany, cause Dany to worry about her claim, put distance in their relationship, stop intimacy as we saw, and tip Dany off the edge - all because Bran wanted to be King. 

Or nothing at the 3 Stooges Council made sense and this is just one rant among many.  If you go character by character, that council made little to no sense at all.  And D&D are passing off that crap as a finale. We did we ever do to them?

Agreed. The show really dropped the ball on a potential amazing(ish) ending twist here. 

Bran has clearly been orchestrating the endgame ever since S7 (remember who caused Jon to freak out and want to leave Dragonstone, which lead to the whole wight-hunt and death of Viserion? Bran.).

But instead of making an amazing twist and reveal of how the 3ER had manipulated and orchestrated everything and everyone just so he could end up king, they just kinda made him king with a shrug and then called it a day without revealing how he played everyone and that everything that happened (including the burning of KL) was caused by him pulling the strings.

This picture sums it up perfectly: https://external-preview.redd.it/Uz08W1VXWA1V0ubeCHYRy30M-Jh97GsNOHzVZ1Kueow.jpg?auto=webp&s=319719f17a21ea60055a7fdd1e661f12a53f27d8

If they ever make a sequel, I bet that not only will Daenerys and Drogon return (they left that door open), but Bran will be the main villain. 

12 minutes ago, MinscS2 said:

Just when you think that no (alternative) ending would've been worse than the one we actually got...

The fact that D&D even considered this at one point...well it really doesn't surprise me I guess.

This is just crazy.   I may have gotten this wrong but I think the deleted scenes or alternative endings will be available in the blu-Ray box set.    It would be nice if they had a good one for all the disappointed Dany fans. It appears though it will only be worse.

ComicBookGirl19 was critical of the show for a while when they ran out of book material. She learned to enjoy the show for what it was, and lowered her expectations. Even so, she was not prepared for season 8...

7 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

just so Sansa could have another mean girl line. Stupid. 

Now that's a thing I could rant about for days. 

Those idiots apparently think that being a strong wahman equals to throwing around such lines with a deadpan expression. No, it doesn't. It makes you someone broken on the inside whose harsh lessons apparently taught you nothing about wisdom and compassion, you're just showing the world all those huge scars turned stone while you're hollow on the inside. That's not strength, that's actually weakness.

Plus, they rinse and repeat this stuff with all the major female characters - Sansa, Dany and Arya are freely interchangeable most of the time, as if cast out of the same mold. Really awesome writing there, a pinnacle of characterisation. :ack:

3 hours ago, MinscS2 said:

It's unbelivable they actually considered this. I agree that Jorah would never betray Dany, not even Hitler Dany. And Gendry calling for Jon's head, with Arya sitting right there, lol.

4 hours ago, MinscS2 said:

I could see a scenario where Jorah could be the one to kill her, in fact, as a mercy killing, for sure, but not otherwise.

I'm not adverse to Jorah turning on Dany, either - at that point, she was no longer the woman he had fallen for so hard, she was someone else. Killing her would be an act of love, not letting her become something terrible. 

Plus, the alternate ending video I watched claimed that Missandei had intended to leave and Jorah started to oppose Dany's decisions, which contributed to her feeling that everyone was abandoning and/or betraying her. Which would help build up her going over the edge and hopefully give it more credibility. 

Archived