[Spoilers] Rant & Rave without Repercussion, Final edition

Ran

22 minutes ago, It_spelt_Magalhaes said:

Old gods, I just pictured the faces as you laughed and choked and laughed some more.

That was pretty much how it went down. :D

Was poking around the webs today when I kept running into articles and viewers questions, etc about the final shots of Drogon and the throne and the show! version HoTU when Dany almost touches the throne.

Was it covered in ash?

No, it was it snow... right?

Thanks showrunners for creating more confusion than answers :rolleyes:

On 5/23/2019 at 11:15 AM, Kikajon said:

Speaking of which I don't understand a couple of points:

1. Who bothered to waste a lot of work to repair the tunnel and the door through the wall when a major part of it crumbled down? I don't expect the Wall was repaired in few months? and by whom? Why not pass through the destroyed part of the wall?

Wasn't the hole in the wall at eastwatch, not castle black? 

On 5/20/2019 at 9:40 AM, Frey family reunion said:

Umm, so can someone explain the last scene to me?

Jon, just said fuck it, and broke his oath again to live up north?  I mean north north.

They have all of that land in Brandon's gift, and they still kick all of the wildlings north of the Wall?  Did Donald Trump write this episode?

I assumed he just went out to walk the dog.

3 hours ago, CCRArabians said:

Wasn't the hole in the wall at eastwatch, not castle black? 

The question is: why is there still a NW? There's no threat of the WW anymore and wasn't the free folk now free to go south and all? what is the NW defending the realm from now?

8 hours ago, Nightwish said:

The king Beyond the wall...who may never return because Greyworm who is miles away said so and his tree brother became King in his place so he can enforce Greyworm’s punishment?

“He must know Sam, you must tell him”

But now it seems he had already packed his luggage for the throne two seasons back and had bought to Jon a nice new coat for the harsh winter:lmao::ack: 

i still can’t get over these nonsense. 

The comical aspect of this is, the show made it canon that Grey Worm and the Unsullied all die. Outsiders on Naath catch a special disease which kills them all. Grey Worm is heading to his imminent death.  So there is no punishment to enforce. D&D kinda forgot that outsiders can’t survive on Naath. 

7 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

Well, those were the good ol days. You probably remember this... I do, and it HURTS. 

And I'm wondering why I still fight in this life

'Cause I've lost all my faith in this damn bitter strife

And it's sad, it's so damn sad

Right before or early on during series 1 David and Dan pled with the book fans to keep a tight lid on spoilers (Ned’s death). And after the scene aired and people went mad on the tinternet, David and Dan thanked book fans for being awesome and not spoiling anything for shownlies. That was the honeymoon. Then we had series 2 and 3 and book “purists” started to moan... but RED WEDDING! So kewl, and by that time the show runners felt emboldened enough and confident enough to do things that were... well, stupid. Jaime and Cersei in the sept, Brienne v Hound fight. Arya arriving at the Gates of the Moon and saying, “I’m Arya Stark”, and no one gave two fucks. And downhill it went, picking up speed the further it diverged. 

This is the trend which started with LotR, but for some reason, most people don't - or don't want to - see it. Visually awesome, breathtaking sceneries, music that just takes you by the heart, the first part mostly faithful to the book. Then the author gets bolder, and starts changing or adding stuff. Follows much less care to flesh out the book details, character assassination and plain idiotic scenes and plot "twists". (If you want me to rant some more, PM me.)

As to hating the show’s version of the RW... I did. But by then I couldn’t t take that stupidity seriously. Robb taking pregnant ”Talisa” ( :ack: ) to the Twins after breaking the marriage pact w/ the Freys? Soooooo stupid, and such obvious emotional manipulation of the audience... on top of being the exact opposite of what Robb did in the books. But... “yeah, let’s stabb the foetus in utero, so SHOCKING”.

My relationship to the RW was more ambivalent - showing off Talisa's belly to the Freys was beyond ridiculous, but other than that, I did enjoy the execution (though I still prefer the book version).

Yikes. I remember my Unsullied husband was horrified beyond words... and I’m not sure which horrified him most, the foetus being stabbed in the belly, or me fucking laughing my arse off. 

Reminds me how I fistpumped watching Titanic when saccharine Leo died of hypothermia :D

4 hours ago, House Cambodia said:

I assumed he just went out to walk the dog.

:rofl:

29 minutes ago, Kaapstad said:

The comical aspect of this is, the show made it canon that Grey Worm and the Unsullied all die. Outsiders on Naath catch a special disease which kills them all. Grey Worm is heading to his imminent death.  So there is no punishment to enforce. D&D kinda forgot that outsiders can’t survive on Naath. 

This is a very good breakdown of how Tyrion can be seen as having manipulated Jon in order to save his own life, starting at 2:10.

Main points:
- There are many things Tyrion does not say that would have made his case weaker. For example, he does not talk about how Varys tried to kill Daenerys, or how he himself committed treason by releasing his brother. Nor does he discuss whether her earlier conquests were justified.
- As for burning the city, the video essayist claims that Tyrion would have done the same thing in her situation, and that now he is simply trying to save his own life.
- Daenerys has not been a threat to Sansa earlier in this season. Her life is not in immediate danger; but Tyrion makes it seem that way because his life is.
- The words that in the end seem to drive Jon over the edge is when Daenerys says: "They don't get to choose." In her mind she knows what is right. And yet, in the final Dragon Pit meeting, the lords express the very same attitude when they laugh at Sam's suggestion, and nobody stabs them...

3 hours ago, Vanadis said:

This is a very good breakdown of how Tyrion can be seen as having manipulated Jon in order to save his own life, starting at 2:10.

Main points:
- There are many things Tyrion does not say that would have made his case weaker. For example, he does not talk about how Varys tried to kill Daenerys, or how he himself committed treason by releasing his brother. Nor does he discuss whether her earlier conquests were justified.
- As for burning the city, the video essayist claims that Tyrion would have done the same thing in her situation, and that now he is simply trying to save his own life.
- Daenerys has not been a threat to Sansa earlier in this season. Her life is not in immediate danger; but Tyrion makes it seem that way because his life is.
- The words that in the end seem to drive Jon over the edge is when Daenerys says: "They don't get to choose." In her mind she knows what is right. And yet, in the final Dragon Pit meeting, the lords express the very same attitude when they laugh at Sam's suggestion, and nobody stabs them...

Hope they didn't pull a muscle with all this reaching.

9 hours ago, Ygrain said:

This is the trend which started with LotR, but for some reason, most people don't - or don't want to - see it. Visually awesome, breathtaking sceneries, music that just takes you by the heart, the first part mostly faithful to the book. Then the author gets bolder, and starts changing or adding stuff. Follows much less care to flesh out the book details, character assassination and plain idiotic scenes and plot "twists". (If you want me to rant some more, PM me.)

I don t think the problem is having diferences with the books. I think that those are kind of invetible because several reasons like what works on a book doesn t have to work on tv/cinema...

However the diferences have to make sense in the story! The characters have to remain coherent… You can t be watching something and thinking "this is so stupid or unbelivable".

And while Lotr are 3 consistent movies GoT becomes more stupid, ilogical and badly thought the further you watch… Until we reach season 8 and even though it has beautiful wallpapers and amazing music people hate it. 

12 hours ago, Nami said:

The question is: why is there still a NW? There's no threat of the WW anymore and wasn't the free folk now free to go south and all? what is the NW defending the realm from now?

LOL

The NW now is a thematic park where people go on hollidays to see the walland interact with the wildlings...

16 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Was poking around the webs today when I kept running into articles and viewers questions, etc about the final shots of Drogon and the throne and the show! version HoTU when Dany almost touches the throne.

Was it covered in ash?

No, it was it snow... right?

Thanks showrunners for creating more confusion than answers :rolleyes:

That is one of the things I think grrm should have talked about.

IT is common knowledge that he hated how LOST ended. However his show probably had an even worse ending! It left people with a lot of unanswered questions and for several of the characters it didn t even feel like the end of their story. It wouldn t be weird if we had a new season with bran being a in league with the cotf to end mankind or having the red priest wanting to convert the whole world to their faith...

1 hour ago, divica said:

I don t think the problem is having diferences with the books. I think that those are kind of invetible because several reasons like what works on a book doesn t have to work on tv/cinema...

My bad, I didn't express myself clearly - adding STUPID stuff. Pigwolf attack so that yet another fucking character is presumed dead for a while? Last defence behind the last door both in TTT and RotK? Denethor eating like a pig while Faramir leads a totally useless frontal attack? Orcs rowing quietly so as not to be heard, while carrying torches which everyone can see for miles? Dragging Frodo and Sam to Osgiliath, so that Faramir could have his revelation moment among cool ruins? The lembas scheme and "Sam, go home"?

Those are not quite as bad as what GoT did, but they sure make my brain hurt.

1 hour ago, divica said:

However the diferences have to make sense in the story! The characters have to remain coherent… You can t be watching something and thinking "this is so stupid or unbelivable".

And while Lotr are 3 consistent movies GoT becomes more stupid, ilogical and badly thought the further you watch… Until we reach season 8 and even though it has beautiful wallpapers and amazing music people hate it. 

Oh, there are inconsistencies in LotR, only less obvious. Remember Arwen the warrior princess in FotR, only to become a fragile damsel fading out because reasons? Gondor with zero prominent characters and everyone totally cool with Denethor not doing a shit to defend the city, as if they couldn't pull the same what they had done with Rohan? Orcs suddenly becoming Chernobyl survivors? Elrond teleporting to deliver Aragorn Andúril?

@Ygrain completely agree with you on LotR. I liked the first movie. I can’t remember the second and the third was awful. Half of the third movie were long shots of various characters crying and the ending I recall was never ending. I remember thinking at least three times that this is the end but it just kept going. Peter Jackson is probably better than D&D but he isn’t an auteur or great filmmaker. His achievement is in that he adapted a beloved and widely read set of books into visually captivating movies. IIRC, the estate of Tolkien did not like Jackson’s movies and Tolkien’s son (who was his heir and who completed the Silmarillion after Tolkien’s death) hated Jackson’s interpretation and thought Jackson had ruined his father’s legacy by making his father’s books into mere action movies. He has since refused to allow Jackson to adapt the Silmarillion. 

5 minutes ago, teej6 said:

@Ygrain completely agree with you on LotR. I liked the first movie. I can’t remember the second and the third was awful. Half of the third movie were long shots of various characters crying and the ending I recall was never ending. I remember thinking at least three times that this is the end but it just kept going. Peter Jackson is probably better than D&D but he isn’t an auteur or great filmmaker. His achievement is in that he adapted a loved and well-read set of books into visually captivating movies. IIRC, the estate of Tolkien did not like Jackson’s movies and Tolkien’s son (who was his heir and completely the Silmarillion after Tolkien’s death) hated Jackson’s interpretation and thought Jackson had ruined his father’s legacy by making his father’s books into mere action movies. He has since refused to allow Jackson to adapt the Silmarillion. 

Thank you thank you. Let us all bend the knee to the man.

I have a hard copy of Morgoth's Ring on my bedside table.

Don't get me wrong, the movies were awesome. But the aftertaste was... 'awesome' and genius music.

I'm genuinely scared about the Amazon Lotr series.

Giving that treatment to the Silmarillion? 

Nooooooo!

2 hours ago, Ygrain said:

My bad, I didn't express myself clearly - adding STUPID stuff. Pigwolf attack so that yet another fucking character is presumed dead for a while? Last defence behind the last door both in TTT and RotK? Denethor eating like a pig while Faramir leads a totally useless frontal attack? Orcs rowing quietly so as not to be heard, while carrying torches which everyone can see for miles? Dragging Frodo and Sam to Osgiliath, so that Faramir could have his revelation moment among cool ruins? The lembas scheme and "Sam, go home"?

Those are not quite as bad as what GoT did, but they sure make my brain hurt.

Oh, there are inconsistencies in LotR, only less obvious. Remember Arwen the warrior princess in FotR, only to become a fragile damsel fading out because reasons? Gondor with zero prominent characters and everyone totally cool with Denethor not doing a shit to defend the city, as if they couldn't pull the same what they had done with Rohan? Orcs suddenly becoming Chernobyl survivors? Elrond teleporting to deliver Aragorn Andúril?

From time to time, I find myself asking "am I the idiot, here? " when I complain about an adaptation of a book I love, which is riddled with plot holes, total misunderstanding of the characters, and a preference for shocks over character development.  It's a relief to know others feel the first way.

I thought Season 7 was mediocre, but almost to the end, I hoped  D & D would rise to the challenge of doing Season 8, but they gave us a shit sandwich.

13 minutes ago, teej6 said:

@Ygrain completely agree with you on LotR. I liked the first movie. I can’t remember the second and the third was awful.

I wish I could forget it, as well, that's where the major facepalms started. Gandalf the plastic surgeon restoring Theoden, Éomer the idiot failing to recognize that dead hobbits would be easily recognizable from dead orcs, thus creating a false drama, Ents not knowing what was going on in their backyard, Aragorn prompting Legolas to shoot at an old man (alright, at least the films were consistent here letting him ponder breaking his word and attacking an envoy - wow, what a king), Éowyn the babysitter, shieldskating Legolas....

Don't hate me for reminding you, please.

Peter Jackson is probably better than D&D but he isn’t an auteur or great filmmaker. His achievement is in that he adapted a loved and well-read set of books into visually captivating movies.

I guess PJ must be a relation of Saruman's, captivating with images instead of voice.

IIRC, the estate of Tolkien did not like Jackson’s movies and Tolkien’s son (who was his heir and completely the Silmarillion after Tolkien’s death) hated Jackson’s interpretation and thought Jackson had ruined his father’s legacy by making his father’s books into mere action movies. He has since refused to allow Jackson to adapt the Silmarillion. 

Bless the man.

Archived