[Spoilers] Rant & Rave without Repercussion, Final edition

Ran

5 hours ago, Ygrain said:

Now I know why the battle was filmed with such poor visibility! They hoped no-one would see the travesty!

And the music, yes!

The emotional response I got from the 'non speaking' parts of the episode was greater than in the bleak 'they're all going to die, omg' parts.

I mean, it'd be the only way to imprint despair onto someone plain giving up screaming at a dragon? I think?

Were they all just that exhausted?

I personally was ready to bawl my eyes out, snot and all, watching Theon die. 

The actor's performance was amazing. 

Imagine if they hadn't been pushed to such ends.

Unless! Subversion!

They went method and wanted everyone on the edge of a breakdown to make it more 'real'.

Lets be charitable and propose it's a 'Viggo Mortensen just broke his toes, so Aragorn sounded genuinely in pain that Merry and Pippin were gone.' thing?

In any case, Alfie Allen got my vote for most outstanding 'getting the shaft' scene.

Just read this morning that Kit Harrington checked himself into a wellness facility for exhaustion and alcohol abuse BEFORE the final episode aired.  It sounded like after they were done filming he sort of broke down and knew he was in trouble.

First: Good for him.  When you feel the edge creeping up on you, you do what you've got to do to take care of yourself so you'll be there later for the ones you love.  Sincerely, I have no bad feelings towards Kit, and I hope he finds the strength to heal.

Second: Fuck D&D for creating an environment that lead younger actors to this level of exhaustion.  Yet another sign they have no business being in the film business.

14 minutes ago, Dragons Are Real said:

Second: Fuck D&D for creating an environment that lead younger actors to this level of exhaustion.  Yet another sign they have no business being in the film business.

And created a season of crap so the exhaustion was pointless. 

8 minutes ago, Dragons Are Real said:

Second: Fuck D&D for creating an environment that lead younger actors to this level of exhaustion.  

Exactly.

It really sucks to think that all the disapproval expressed on the net and now in the mainstream media can hurt the actors more than the two culprits who still haven't found the courage to express themselves.....

4 minutes ago, Nowy Tends said:

Exactly.

It really sucks to think that all the disapproval expressed on the net and now in the mainstream media can hurt the actors more than the two culprits who still haven't found the courage to express themselves.....

This really bothers me more than how crap the show turned out.  The older and more experienced actors are fine because they know how it goes and could sense the fail coming so they knew to brace themselves.  The younger actors aside from Emilia seem to be internalizing it and either lashing out (Sophie) or turning it inward to the point of depression (Kit).  I hope some of the older actors reach out to them and let them know this isn't business as usual, and help them understand the fan backlash is directed, for the most part, at the show creators and horrible writing.  They suffered horribly for no reason, and they have our empathy for that.

3 hours ago, Sonoftheharpie said:

The real disappointment will be that if GRRM finishes the books and they end exactly like the show which I suspect they ultimately will. Right now though he's stuck somewhere in the Riverlands blogging about sports and working on other projects.

It’s impossible that the books end this way. The ending was open ended and ambiguous. No agreement on whether Jon is headed with the wildlings permanently or he stays at the Watch. Apparently the alternate ending shows Jorah moving out along with him so this must mean they intended it to mean he was stuck to Castle Black. Will Arya return? What happens to the other kingdoms? What happens to Meereen and Daario? Where did Drogon go with Dany? 

Its obvious the ending was a show only creation. GRRM likely just give them bullet points saying Jon kills Dany and the list of characters who survived and they came up with  their own open ended crap. 

On 5/28/2019 at 3:42 PM, Ser Hedge said:
On 5/28/2019 at 3:17 AM, AlaerysTargaryen said:

My brain was fixed in a long line of no no no no no NOOOOOOOOO 

Idk if it was expected, Jon Snow should have fought the Night King, I Will say it till my dying breath

Yep, can you seriously expect Conan stepping aside and let his little sister take the big bad down? "Zeez iz called sahbverzshun, ja? Zeez iz what we are doing now"

Nah, doesn't work.

Conan also wouldn't kill Dany, but marry her and rule wisely, long and with an iron fist against their enemies...

Hm, *headcinema* Would have been a nice ending.

The Conan movies are awesome and not even a jota as dumb as many people believe them to be. :D

26 minutes ago, Morte said:

Conan also wouldn't kill Dany, but marry her and rule wisely, long and with an iron fist against their enemies...

Hm, *headcinema* Would have been a nice ending.

The Conan movies are awesome and not even a jota as dumb as many people believe them to be. :D

Ja, we have established this as thread canon now :D

1 hour ago, Dragons Are Real said:

1 hour ago, Wsc48 said:

And created a season of crap so the exhaustion was pointless. 

Amen to both.

It really wouldn't hurt to point out to the actors that the backlash isn't directed at them, they did their best (though I'm afraid Kit's skills could use a bit of practice).

holly cow. For whoever has time they should watch stargate sg1 s10 ep6!

It is a whole comic episode dedicated about how to make a good show and what shouldn t be done. About how to respect the audience and make things belivable instead of making shiny things that don t make sense in the hopes that the audience is stupid...

Seriously. It has so manny good advices for D&D...

10 hours ago, Sonoftheharpie said:

The real disappointment will be that if GRRM finishes the books and they end exactly like the show which I suspect they ultimately will. Right now though he's stuck somewhere in the Riverlands blogging about sports and working on other projects.

I agree with the other poster that said it won't. It's impossible for the books to end the way the show did. Some character arcs may end the same way - for example: Maybe Dany will still crucify the people of KL & get killed but the lead up to it most certainly won't be the lead in the show & will be a story much better told. The real thing we need to worry about is if we are ever going to get a finish in the books. I did just read an article about GRRM getting invited somewhere in July of 2020 (I can't remember where) & he gave the inviter permission to imprison him if he does not show to this event with tWoW in hand. All I've seen in the past is him saying it'll be done when it's done so maybe, just maybe, we will get it before July 2020. 

3 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

Super busy and barely online for days, so apologies if this had been discussed and I missed it. Anything on David and Dan yet? Any interviews or anything? 

Absolutely nothing to my knowledge. At this point I really can't see what they could do.

Check their respective Wikipedia pages, at the end of the "Career" entree, one can read:

Midway through the final season of Game of Thrones, a petition to HBO was started on Change.org. It described showrunners Benioff and Weiss as "woefully incompetent writers", and thus demanded "competent writers" to remake the eighth season of Game of Thrones in a manner "that makes sense".[31] The petition eventually amassed over 1.5 million signatures.[32] Richard Roeper, writing for the Chicago Sun Times, described that the backlash to the eighth season was so great that in his 25+ years of reviewing movies and television, he doubts that he has "ever seen the level of fan (and to a lesser degree, critical) vitriol leveled at" Game of Thrones.[33]

Blood and fire! :cheers:

22 hours ago, Nowy Tends said:

I just watched the doc "The Last Watch". In this film the words that come up most often during the shooting of Season 8 are "fatigue", "lassitude", "exhaustion" (or synonyms). 

It is obvious that no one, neither the producers nor the technicians nor the actors, had the strength to react anymore. Conleth Hill is the exception (maybe Sapotchnik too). Absolutely everyone wanted to get it over with. 

The 55 nights of shooting required against all logic by D&D killed any desire for in-depth reflection on what they were doing. 

You think that was an accident?

It reminds me of documentaries I saw about Jonestown - carving out cabins from the South American rainforest.  Interviewees saying how they were worked so ragged, kept so busy, that they didn't have time to think.  And they suspect that was at least partially on purpose:  if you burden people with work, 1 - It keeps them too exhausted to think, 2 - Sunk Cost Fallacy sets in, where they don't WANT to admit all this work went to waste.

3 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

Super busy and barely online for days, so apologies if this had been discussed and I missed it. Anything on David and Dan yet? Any interviews or anything? 

…..Isaac Hempstead-Wright just gave an interview saying that Benioff and Weiss told him that two things are from the books:

- The Hodor reveal

- That "Bran will become king"

http://www.makinggameofthrones.com/production-diary/season-8-episode-6-finale-isaac-hempstead-wright-bran-interview

7 minutes ago, Nowy Tends said:

Absolutely nothing to my knowledge. At this point I really can't see what they could do.

Check their respective Wikipedia pages, at the end of the "Career" entree, one can read:

Midway through the final season of Game of Thrones, a petition to HBO was started on Change.org. It described showrunners Benioff and Weiss as "woefully incompetent writers", and thus demanded "competent writers" to remake the eighth season of Game of Thrones in a manner "that makes sense".[31] The petition eventually amassed over 1.5 million signatures.[32] Richard Roeper, writing for the Chicago Sun Times, described that the backlash to the eighth season was so great that in his 25+ years of reviewing movies and television, he doubts that he has "ever seen the level of fan (and to a lesser degree, critical) vitriol leveled at" Game of Thrones.[33]

Blood and fire! :cheers:

GREAT NEWS. I hope they become personas non gratas in Hollywood...

9 minutes ago, The Dragon Demands said:

…..Isaac Hempstead-Wright just gave an interview saying that Benioff and Weiss told him that two things are from the books:

- The Hodor reveal

- That "Bran will become king"

http://www.makinggameofthrones.com/production-diary/season-8-episode-6-finale-isaac-hempstead-wright-bran-interview

That actor is a huge troll.

He’s not going to come in on horseback and save the day, but he sits and thinks and is calm and collected. I think that’s a really great message, that he is rewarded for being still and calm and not reactionary and doesn’t just shout and cause trouble. It’s kind of a real victory for the quiet thoughtful people of Westeros.

He just forgot to say that bran sits, thinks, is calm, collected and then does nothing! That bran has no experience whatsoever at rulling anything… How does he know which decisions he should take? That bran doesn t care about mundane affairs… How does he relate to the people he is ruling over? That his lack of emotions and creepy powers wouldn t win anyone's loyalty...

But most of all, at the end of the day bran looks like a vilain that planed jon and danny's downfall so that he can be king...

7 minutes ago, The Dragon Demands said:

He didn't say what Bran becomes king OF - I'm not even sure if this is true.

But even if vaguely true - what if he becomes King OF THE NORTH, not King of Westeros?

He can become king of the cotf, a ruler for the fanatics that follow the old gods(their pope) or it might simply be refering to grrm's initial plans that have sufered huge changes...

If D&D had a good base for bran to become king then they should have handled his story very diferently in the last couple of years…

Within a year when winds is released we will know more... 

Archived