[Spoilers] Rant & Rave without Repercussion, Final edition

Ran

7 minutes ago, divica said:

GREAT NEWS. I hope they become personas non gratas in Hollywood...

That actor is a huge troll.

He just forgot to say that bran sits, thinks, is calm, collected and then does nothing! That bran has no experience whatsoever at rulling anything… How does he know which decisions he should take? That bran doesn t care about mundane affairs… How does he relate to the people he is ruling over? That his lack of emotions and creepy powers wouldn t win anyone's loyalty...

But most of all, at the end of the day bran looks like a vilain that planed jon and danny's downfall so that he can be king...

Well, according to the show he is the memory of the world. He has seen the past and can spy into other's people affairs by warging into animals and apparently he can see into the future because Tyrion didn't send a raven to tell the Starks about the Kingsmoot. He rolled down to King's Landing in the same day and when asked if he wanted to be King he said why did you I came here for. 

Westeros is about have it's own 1984 and a God King.

No one will ever learn anything. What for? we have our God King to shows us the way. Own opinions? How do you eat that? Bran is always right. It is known.

1 hour ago, The Dragon Demands said:

He didn't say what Bran becomes king OF - I'm not even sure if this is true.

But even if vaguely true - what if he becomes King OF THE NORTH, not King of Westeros?

My thought too. Mostly because, I start from the other side: Brienne filling Jaime's page in the White Book seem like a little too caring of a detail to be coming from D&D (in the show Jaime shoved the book off the table for some action with Cersei). So I suspect Brienne will indeed become "King's" Guard in the Book, and that would make sense if Sansa is Queen. And Sansa is the only Stark who is actually learning about politics. Jon is more of military tactician - politics got him stabbed. Bran is too mystcal for the south or for holding diplomancy over 7 kingdoms. Arya might become a ninja, though in her journey she has  lived what the smallfolk has gone through - she should really join the Small Council in th enew position of Folk Representative ;P ...and then it's all rainbows ad unicorns (GRRM did say there will be unicorns).

1 hour ago, divica said:

GREAT NEWS. I hope they become personas non gratas in Hollywood...

That actor is a huge troll.

He just forgot to say that bran sits, thinks, is calm, collected and then does nothing! That bran has no experience whatsoever at rulling anything… How does he know which decisions he should take? That bran doesn t care about mundane affairs… How does he relate to the people he is ruling over? That his lack of emotions and creepy powers wouldn t win anyone's loyalty...

But most of all, at the end of the day bran looks like a vilain that planed jon and danny's downfall so that he can be king...

That's neither the actor nor the character's fault though. Guess who is to blame here? 

If IHW speaks the truth, and I have no reason to doubt that he does, that means that D&D have known about this plot point for years now. Yes, they actually had years to come up with a somewhat plausible route... Nah, let's just turn Bran into useless robotperson who is made king after St. Tyrion makes a terrible speech at the Dragonpit.

D&D are just the worst writers. Bwahahahaha

3 hours ago, Einheri said:

If IHW speaks the truth, and I have no reason to doubt that he does, that means that D&D have known about this plot point for years now. Yes, they actually had years to come up with a somewhat plausible route... Nah, let's just turn Bran into useless robotperson who is made king after St. Tyrion makes a terrible speech at the Dragonpit.

D&D are just the worst writers. Bwahahahaha

The question is if (and that’s a big IF) Martin told D&D about Bran becoming King of Westeros, when did he do so? Did he throw it out there as a bullet point when he still thought he could make his 5-year jump work? In that case, Martin may have thought that once the dust settles and several people have ruled (GRRM did for sure say that several people will sit the IT before the end), the crown will eventually pass onto an older Bran (not an 11 yr old). And if this happens it wouldn’t be like what those morons showed where incompetent Tyrion (who is currently persona non grata in Westeros in the books) just declares that Bran has the best story and everybody just goes along. Rather it would be someone else (say Jon)  giving the Kingdom to Bran to rule as Bran would be the real power behind the throne because of his demi-God status. In the books, I always saw Bran as Merlin to Jon’s Arthur.

As to your question why the two idiots didn’t develop the Bran being King plot inspite of knowing about it for years, it’s probably because they got this as a bullet point from GRRM years ago and didn’t get much else from him. 

It’s funny how Issac Hempstead Wright and Sophie Turner are going out of their way to give interviews and try and make people believe that the endings of their characters make sense, and in IHW’s case even stating that this is GRRM’s ending. It’s because they know that the fans disliked the ending and they feel somehow obligated to convince everyone that it is the right ending. IHW surely is aware that he shouldn’t spoil the books, but did it anyway — I wonder why <_<. I smell D&D’s stinking paws all over it. Since they can’t do their “when George told us” anymore, considering the backlash they received the last time around, this is probably their cowardly way of saying not our fault but George’s.

D1: Hey George, you gotta tell us who sits on the Iron Throne in the end.

GRRM: I gotta, huh? Funny you should ask me now you're in the middle of shooting S8. Didn't hear a word from you in 5 years.

D2: Look George, the last time we spoke you were upset about Lady Stone ... whatever she's called and that horse dude

GRRM: I suppose you're looking for another Shireen excuse, huh? Hey, fans, don't like the plot, it's all George's fault!

D1: Hey, look. You didn't write the books on time.

GRRM: Like you were following where the books are going, anyway. How about you sat down with me when you were doing S5 and we plotted the rest of the show together then?

D1: Hey, this thing's still got your name on it. You gotta tell us more or it's our lawyers you'll hear from.

GRRM: Ok, then. Bran's King in the end.

(Hangs up)

Bwaha ha ha ha har har har

D1: Wtf? We killed off that dude in S5 and gave his role to GW and Tyrion, right? That prick of an actor who kept reading from the books at us!

D2: errr that was Barristan, he said Bran, right?

D1: Who tf is Bran? Sounds like a f cereal.

D2: errr the dude in the wheelchair? The guy you cut out for a whole season?

D1: wtf? you not serious right? And what you mean I cut out. That child actor turned out horrendously. I mean look at Maisie, she looks the exact same, so nobody gets confused. And Sophie grew up naturally. We should have killed this guy off like the other kid ....

D2: We needed him for the Hodor reveal. Maybe George meant Night King. The fans think ...

D1: eff the fans!

D2: Yeah, no worries, that's the one thing we've been doing consistently since S4

D1: I mean the book fans and the nerds and the losers who follow all the details

D2: That's what I meant

D1: What do we do now, I thought Cersei would be Queen, or Urine, or Tyrion or Jamie. Maybe GW. Or Bron :drool:

D2: Let's send him Lena's hairdresser.

D1: We have to get Tyrion to tell everyone he's king. I know didn't this kid fall off a cliff or something?

D2: A tower. Jamie ....

D1: Yeah, we should've just killed him, but then we had to follow the bloody books at the time. Get Tyrion to remind everyone that this is the dude who fell down, reminds all the casual fans who he is.

D2: Ok, cool, will get on it. Any build up?

D1: Yeah make it like he knew all along. And put in a scene with Tyrion earlier on.

D2: What do they talk about?

D1: Just cut away. That's how foreshadowing works. That's a George thing, so everybody will buy that it was George's plot all along. 

Now I was reading this star wars script. Wtf is a Jedi?

19 hours ago, Sonoftheharpie said:

The real disappointment will be that if GRRM finishes the books and they end exactly like the show which I suspect they ultimately will.

In response to posters who have developed this point, my view is that everything hinges on HOW GRRM gets to the endpoint. Providing he tells the story convincingly, it will be fine if the conclusions are the same. The problem appears to be that D&D were given a short bullet-point list of endgames 4 years ago, and they had no idea how to complete the journey. They just mapped out characters having to get from A to B to C to endpoint D without caring too much about whether the routes were convincing or attending to their inter-relationships along the way.

This is in stark contrast to literature. GRRM is a highly-skilled WRITER; D&D are showRUNNERS - they don't even pretend to be showWRITERS. The red flag was right there from the start. Somehow they conned GRRM and HBO by bumbling into guessing R+L=J. They never ever were able to show WHY that's in any way important to the story.

In true literature, the journey is everything - plot and character development, style, themes and so on. If that's done well and convincingly, however the story ends will be satisfying. I have every faith that GRRM (assuming he finishes it) will take us on a rich journey and if that culminates in Daenerys touching the Iron Throne before being stabbed to death by Jon, Drogon melting the throne, Cercei dying in the rubble of KL, Jon slinking away with his direwolf up North, Sansa being Queen in the North and a council sorting out the rest, I'm fine with that. I'm not sure I could take Bran being king of the 6 kingdoms but GRRM never said that. I don't think he'll extinguish the Others threat so cheaply and with such finality, and I can see Bran ending up as the Night's King.

6 hours ago, teej6 said:

I smell D&D’s stinking paws all over it. Since they can’t do their “when George told us” anymore, considering the backlash they received the last time around, this is probably their cowardly way of saying not our fault but George’s.

Well, it’s a lot worse than that actually. Never mind the backlash, just before series 8 premiered David Benioff said in an interview that, because there were things that would be “the same” and things that would be different, they WOULD NOT comment on it at all. 

On 5/24/2019 at 8:58 AM, Cas Stark said:

I'm not a Sansa fan, but what they did to her character was just insane.  If she has to turn into a manipulative schemer, at least she needed to keep the veneer of politeness that was always Sansa's strength and shield.  Having her tell her mother's brother whose been a cell for years to STFU instead of saying something diplomatic was emblematic of the show's inability to see a woman in power who doesn't act like a rude jerk.  Sansa has been incredibly rude to almost everyone since she got to Winterfell, rude when politeness would have been a much better strategy.  Arya, sure, it's totally in character for her to threaten to slit someone's throat in a meeting, that's who she has always been.  They did the same thing with Brienne, making her super rude to Pod for no reason except they can't seem to write strong women who aren't bitches.  Sad.

What? What? Women can be strong and not be bitches? GTFO! :o

Just kidding. I've seen first-hand how Southern European matriarchs rule roosts and villages. Subtly, yet absolutely.

May even be reflected in Martin making Dorne a more gender-balanced kingdom than the others.

And I"m not even gonna bring up D&D's insane concoction of what was Dorne.

Somewhere on this site GRRM was quoted in 2015 talking about getting rid of the 5 year gap and he would do it even if it meant a 12 year old would sit on the throne.  He also has mentioned other times that there are to many clues in the early books to change the ending.  I think they knew from early on who would sit on the throne at the end.

I blame GRRM for this mess for not finishing the books.  Maybe the problem is on how to  write the story to put a 12 year old on the throne.

On 5/26/2019 at 6:43 AM, Kaapstad said:

I just rewatched the ending and noticed something. Does Jon end up hating Bran and Sansa at the end? Firstly Bran gives Jon an evil smirk and says you were in the right place at the right time. Then Jon gets up looking shocked takes a long look at Sansa, it looks as if he puts 2 and 2 together and realises they manipulated him into killing Dany or am I reading too much into it?

That would be awesome! So, no, the show didn't do that. 

6 hours ago, Kaapstad said:

Does anyone know why they didn’t do the behind the episodes video,like they did for each of their other episodes? 

(speculation mode)

they knew that controversy would follow, even if by some miracle they had done a good job. And obviously they know they've messed up the work.

or

they filmed a Behind The Episode video but they or HBO decided not to release it because the backlash (and the mockery on the "Kind of forgot" gaffe) had already started…

again I'm just speculating…

2 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

Well, it’s a lot worse than that actually. Never mind the backlash, just before series 8 premiered David Benioff said in an interview that, because there were things that would be “the same” and things that would be different, they WOULD NOT comment on it at all. 

Well then, that makes it even worse. Linda and Elio have a new video on the endgame. Both of them seem to have a hard time seeing Bran as king. I just hope that if Martin does end up doing it (which I truly hope he doesn’t), it will be written in a manner that makes sense and is believable. I definitely don’t want a Bran who schemes his way to the top. 

8 hours ago, teej6 said:

The question is if (and that’s a big IF) Martin told D&D about Bran becoming King of Westeros, when did he do so? Did he throw it out there as a bullet point when he still thought he could make his 5-year jump work? In that case, Martin may have thought that once the dust settles and several people have ruled (GRRM did for sure say that several people will sit the IT before the end), the crown will eventually pass onto an older Bran (not an 11 yr old). 

I think he probably told them about this during one of the meetings they had about 4-5 (?) years ago, when it became clear that the show would overtake the books. But even if we assume that he could have given it away earlier than that, it seems unlikely that D&D wouldn’t have asked him to reaffirm such an important plot point at a later date (i.e. “you’re still certain about King Bran?”).

And if this happens it wouldn’t be like what those morons showed where incompetent Tyrion (who is currently persona non grata in Westeros in the books) just declares that Bran has the best story and everybody just goes along. Rather it would be someone else (say Jon)  giving the Kingdom to Bran to rule as Bran would be the real power behind the throne because of his demi-God status. In the books, I always saw Bran as Merlin to Jon’s Arthur.

For sure. It might not be my cup of tea (i.e. if Bran just ends up being a benevolent God-King, then I’m probably going to find that kind of meh), but it will make sense within George's story.

As to your question why the two idiots didn’t develop the Bran being King plot inspite of knowing about it for years, it’s probably because they got this as a bullet point from GRRM years ago and didn’t get much else from him. 

It just goes to show how utterly incompetent they are as writers. Even if George gave them pretty much nothing aside from the plot point itself, they still had years to come up with something that would have been  less stupid than the Bran-9000 being voted in as king because he has the bestest story evah.

It’s funny how Issac Hempstead Wright and Sophie Turner are going out of their way to give interviews and try and make people believe that the endings of their characters make sense, and in IHW’s case even stating that this is GRRM’s ending. It’s because they know that the fans disliked the ending and they feel somehow obligated to convince everyone that it is the right ending. IHW surely is aware that he shouldn’t spoil the books, but did it anyway — I wonder why <_<. I smell D&D’s stinking paws all over it. Since they can’t do their “when George told us” anymore, considering the backlash they received the last time around, this is probably their cowardly way of saying not our fault but George’s.

It would not surprise me one bit.

The books are already 'spoiled' and anyone who thinks that the show, which always disliked Bran's story since he left WF, so much so that they had him sit out an entire season, and has always done a terrible job with his transformation, would have made Bran king if it wasn't something they got from George is fooling themselves. 

Just now, Cas Stark said:

The books are already 'spoiled' and anyone who thinks that the show, which always disliked Bran's story since he left WF, so much so that they had him sit out an entire season, and has always done a terrible job with his transformation, would have made Bran king if it wasn't something they got from George is fooling themselves. 

Preach.

Archived