[Spoilers] Rant & Rave without Repercussion, Final edition

Ran

19 hours ago, Dragons Are Real said:
23 hours ago, WeDoNotKneel_HailMance said:

I think it's just that shows setup an expectation for fans. GoT was extremely high quality for 4 seasons, and kind-of-mostly-OK for seasons 5-6...for me, this kept my own personal hype and expectations super high, which is why I'm STILL SO DISAPPOINTED with how it has ended. Seasons 7-8 are just total garbage. So, anyways, its also a shame to compare the ending of GoT to the beginning at this point... very, very different in terms of quality. 

I agree wholeheartedly.  I also think season seven and eight (and to a lesser extent anything after season four) makes rewatchability plummet through the floor.  I have zero desire to watch the actual quality seasons of GoT after seeing where they end up taking us.  The amazing beginning isn't just unjustified by the ending, it's utterly destroyed by it.

Agreed. I've watched S1 at least 5 times because it's so fun to see how actions and behaviors in S1 setup consequences that carry into S2, S3, & S4. Not to mention all of the WW build up. But S7 & S8 don't really build on 90% of the lead up and backstory from S1-S6, so re-watching seems pointless. You're just watching a bunch of easter eggs, character arcs, and plot lines that are total dead ends and have no meaning in the larger story at the end. 

On 6/11/2019 at 6:35 PM, kissdbyfire said:

@Lady Fevre Dream, are you saying the valonqar were the bricks then? Those 8 bricks that fell on her but not her wine glass? :D

I don't know nuthin about verifyin' no valonqars, but you've just reminded me:  They should have nominated that wine glass for an Emmy, it spent just as much time in the windows of The Red Keep as Lena. 

On 6/11/2019 at 9:43 PM, Dragons Are Real said:

I have zero desire to watch the actual quality seasons of GoT after seeing where they end up taking us.  The amazing beginning isn't just unjustified by the ending, it's utterly destroyed by it.

IMO if you can purge Seasons 5-8 from memory or pretend they don't exist, then Season 1-4 can actually be rewatched. Season 4 ends in such a way that it's the ending of a book that leaves it to your imagination as to how the characters stories will continue. Arya and Tyrion on boats off to new journeys. Dany without dragons. Sansa in the Vale. Cersei/Jamie are now without Tywin having to deal with the Tyrells. Bran arrives at the tree/cave. Stannis makes it up North to Jon.

4 hours ago, Mystical said:

IMO if you can purge Seasons 5-8 from memory or pretend they don't exist, then Season 1-4 can actually be rewatched. Season 4 ends in such a way that it's the ending of a book that leaves it to your imagination as to how the characters stories will continue. Arya and Tyrion on boats off to new journeys. Dany without dragons. Sansa in the Vale. Cersei/Jamie are now without Tywin having to deal with the Tyrells. Bran arrives at the tree/cave. Stannis makes it up North to Jon.

TBH I still thought Season 6 was pretty good, despite some gaps in logic.  

3 hours ago, SeanF said:

TBH I still thought Season 6 was pretty good, despite some gaps in logic.  

It was a fairly steady decline off the end of season 4 though.  The only way season 5 and 6 were watchable was to keep reminding yourself how awesome the earlier seasons were, and then thinking all the gaps and fails must be planted seeds that would bear fruit later.  Knowing the end and realizing that NONE of those seeds bore anything resembling fruit, more dried turds even maggots couldn't enjoy, would lessen the enjoyment quite considerably.

Having reflected upon season 8 a bit since the finale I have come to a conclusion as to what pisses me off the most about this burning dumpster of a season. 

I previously sat through literal hours of filler during the course of the entire series. Meaningless filler, stupid filler, bad pussy filler and all the rest. 

But when it came to the final season? It was just hurry hurry, rush rush here's your sloppy ending where not much makes sense and really important stuff happens off screen. And what does happen is mostly stupid and clearly serves to make the ending happen sooner and wrap it up post-haste. 

It could have been great. It should have been epic. It ended up niether. And the final season ruined the entire series for me. Won't rewatch it. Won't recommend it. Actually I'm going to try to forget about it. 

And that's a shame. 

And now this forum will slowly die. The show will be forgotten. Someday maybe fans will have an ending in book form. Possibly not. 

But I suspect time will not be kind to D&D and that regarding their roll in ruining the ending of what was one of the entire world's favorite TV shows... the Fans, like the North, will remember. 

@teej6, did you check the IndieWire link in that interview?

LMAO!!! I haven’t even listened to the podcast yet, but there’s loads more at IW. For instance, he lost his passport, and arrived in Belfast, and...

He was then promptly left by himself in Belfast and told to check out other sets, which were 60 miles apart. Production designer Deborah Riley took pity on the new director and stayed behind to show him around.

“If I had not have had Deb, I would have never found any of those places, I would have sunk at that point,” said Sapochnik when he was guest on IndieWire’s Filmmaker Toolkit podcast. “And later on, I realized that was kind of their policy. It’s like sink or swim, and I’d lost my passport on the way, so it’s like, ‘This guy’s an idiot, let’s let him sink.'”

UGH UGH UGH, what a dick move. Why am I not at all surprised? 

LOL I cross-ranted. The link @teej6 posted is in the cucumber R&R. I’ll bring it over. :P

ETA: here it is:

1 hour ago, kissdbyfire said:

@teej6, did you check the IndieWire link in that interview?

Yeah I just did. Unbelievable! D&D’s arrogance could be overlooked if they had any talent, but they are shitty scriptwriters and filmmakers. I’m not a fan of Sapochnik but it looks like the man had a tough time working for these morons and has a better sense of filmmaking than them.

8 hours ago, teej6 said:

I’m not a fan of Sapochnik but it looks like the man had a tough time working for these morons and has a better sense of filmmaking than them.

Sapochnik had already had major problems with D&D's insane demands during Battle of the Bastards shooting.

On 6/11/2019 at 2:43 PM, Dragons Are Real said:

I agree wholeheartedly.  I also think season seven and eight (and to a lesser extent anything after season four) makes rewatchability plummet through the floor.  I have zero desire to watch the actual quality seasons of GoT after seeing where they end up taking us.  The amazing beginning isn't just unjustified by the ending, it's utterly destroyed by it.

I'm rewatching seasons 1-6 as a prequel to a hopefully better book ending, and then pretend seasons 7-8 never happened.  A little cognitive dissonance can be your friend. 

On 6/15/2019 at 1:33 PM, Vanadis said:

Speaking of the dragon, this is his review of episode 8.

Watching now.

It seems they took the name of the battle in season 7 (the one where Dany beats the Lannister army) from the Dragon chap. He called it the Battle of the Goldroad, when they were just calling the loot-train attack, or something like that. He came up with the name "Battle of the Goldhead" because ... well, battles have names. And now they're using it! (It's in Brienne's entry for Jaime.)

13 hours ago, Count Balerion said:

Watching now.

It seems they took the name of the battle in season 7 (the one where Dany beats the Lannister army) from the Dragon chap. He called it the Battle of the Goldroad, when they were just calling the loot-train attack, or something like that. He came up with the name "Battle of the Goldhead" because ... well, battles have names. And now they're using it! (It's in Brienne's entry for Jaime.)

I just realized I wrote episode 8! My bad! Edited for clarity :D

Game of Thrones: The Last Watch & the Last Word

I made a mini-documentary / "highlight reel" of the 2 hour "Last Watch" documentary....a documentary on the documentary...highlighting the more ridiculous things that happened.  

YouTube took it down at first because of all the HBO content, but I filed a counter-claim that as Satire & Review it is "Fair Use".  

Those of you who haven't been able to see "The Last Watch" at all may therefore be interested in the....selected 20-30 minutes of clips from it in my "review / documentary" on "The Last Watch"....which I call "The Last Word".  

I'm interested in all of your thoughts on it.

….you might want to get some snacks and settle in before you start it.  Everyone I know who did view "the Last Watch" in its entirety said that (like me) they had to pause every 10 to 15 minutes after something painfully stupid or offensive happened.  

@The Dragon Demands 

I find it very poignant that you used the Chernobyl quotes about the cost of lies. That show is everything GoT had the potential to be, yet was not - carefully thought and laid out, not a single shot wasted. Every scene, every acting performance meaningful, every character decision making sense, even for - or especially for? - characters acting illogically, driven by fear, ambition, denial or ignorance. So much effort, so much emotional investment wasted on GoT, and for what? Megalomaniac showoff of two guys lacking a control button. The crew and cast deserve nothing but respect for their hard work, but Beniof and Weiss... well, guys, you looking forward to easy Star Wars money? Hate to break it on you but you have picked a wrong fandom. You've had it very easy so far - even despite the steep decline in quality, you still had had the support of the majority of the fanbase, until the very last season, but you didn't care about the shitstorm of the aftermath because, what can they do, right? Well. Ever heard about The Last Jedi shitstorm which tanked Solo? That's where you're heading - into a fandom mightily pissed already and well aware what you two idiots did over here. Don't expect any quarter, none shall be given. Just like the North, we remember.

Archived