Ran

[Spoilers] Rant & Rave without Repercussion, Final edition

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Consigliere said:

Nah man, you're not giving Drogon the proper credit he deserves. This is the real reason  why he torched the throne.

I didn't know Drogon was into post structuralism. Maybe I would've known, if he was afforded the same screen time as Arya.

But there are a few flaws with that assumption. Post structuralism is a modern thing in philosophy, so not sure how you could work it into a medieval society. But then again logical consistency has not exactly been the strong point of this season (or a few of the previous ones for that matter). So sure why not. Who could have written the equivalent to Foucault's book in Westeros? I'd go for Aemon.

Edited by A Horse Named Stranger

I’ve finally forced myself to watch the whole episode, after sleeping through most of it on Sunday. It was much worse than I expected... SIGH. 

- So, Jon meets GW while he’s executing Lannister soldiers. He then walks and walks and walks, and when he reaches the top of the stairs GW is there. Whatever.

- Dany’s ‘rousing’ speech: yes, they destroyed the stone houses and killed the men in their iron suits. Of course there’s no mention of all the innocents who had to die, but fuck it, who cares at this point. 

- convo between Jon and Arya: 

J: What are you doing here?

A: I came to kill Cersei but your queen got there first. 

Only she’d changed her mind and fled BEFORE Cersei died. Whatever. The writers don’t care about the stupid stuff they write, as long as it sounds kewl. 

- How much time has passed between the actual taking of KL and Jon killing Dany? Am I supposed to believe that the scene where Dany is killed is the very first time she sets foot in the throne room? That’s ridiculous.

Also, I had slept through this scene... and I have to say, the way it was done was repulsive. 

- Dragonpit: this is one of the worst scenes EVER. Seriously, it’s stupid from start to finish, not a single redeeming thing about it. The dialogue is so completely atrocious (even for David and Dan’s standards) that I wanted to throw things at the telly. I kept rewinding because I couldn’t believe how bad it sounded and how nonsensical and STUPID the whole thing was. Tobias Menzies turned into a glorified extra, fuck you GoT. A bunch of random nobodies as the “most powerful lords and ladies”, what a fucking joke. And Gendry!!! Fuck me, I didn’t even realise he was there. Only saw him when he said his one line in the who,e episode. What a joke. No wonder Joe Dempsie said what he said about character development. 

- the Unsullied are going to Naath. Ok? Why? No, don’t answer, I don’t care. However, I would like to know... Do they have resources? How will they feed and clothe themselves? What the fuck ever. 

- Brienne lies when writing Jaime’s entry in the white book because... Jaime deserves better after that wham bam thank you ma’am, w/o the thank you part. Fuck you. 

- Tyrion is not mentioned in that stupid book that is supposed to cover the events from RR to the present? Really? REALLY? And I don’t even like Tyrion, but what a joke. The son of a major lord, brother-in-law to the king, brother to the queen, uncle to 2 kings, hand of the king, kinslayer who killed his own father and tried and convicted of killing the king his nephew. I’m sure there’s more, but who the fuck cares.

- Arya has a Stark ship, with a huge direwolf sail and direwolf head on the prow. Where did that come from? 

- Jon is sent to the Wall and immediately deserts. Ghost is half the size Nymeria was last season. Whatever. Ooooooh, a single blade of grass... yes, A DREAM OF SPRING, I get it.

FUCK YOU GOT. 

The water bottle.  Surely someone has brought up the water bottle.  Coupled with the Starbucks cup of last week,  D&Ds indifference to the viewer is totally insulting.

13 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

I think Elio and Linda speak for most of us.

WRT the stabbing, it certainly leaves a bad taste in one's mouth that we first see Daenerys being molested by her brother, and last see her being stabbed by her nephew while he's kissing her.

8 minutes ago, lakin1013 said:

The water bottle.  Surely someone has brought up the water bottle.  Coupled with the Starbucks cup of last week,  D&Ds indifference to the viewer is totally insulting.

There were two...the second was near Davos, methinks.  

Also, Davos was there because why?

6 minutes ago, divica said:

That account really disliked the ending of the show. Aren t they close with grrm?

Well, the ending was rubbish and pathetic and stupid. So, what’s to like? 

And yes, that’s the forum’s twitter account, Ran and Linda’s.

2 minutes ago, SeanF said:

I think Elio and Linda speak for most of us.

WRT the stabbing, it certainly leaves a bad taste in one's mouth that we first see Daenerys being molested by her brother, and last see her being stabbed by her nephew while he's kissing her.

The way it was done... awful, repulsive, disgusting. 

1 hour ago, Johnston said:

Why were the Faceless men a thing? 

Really what point was there to the whole face changing thing?  Just so Jaqen H'ghar could do some funky shit to impress Arya after Harrenhall?  Just so Arya could take out the Frey's?

I'm sure if she was trained by Professional Assassins who didn't use a face swapping app she could have done it without becoming Walder and it wouldn't have detracted anything from the story. . 

The Faceless Men, in the books, are out and about doin' shit....secret shit...in Oldtown and other spots...

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

- So, Jon meets GW while he’s executing Lannister soldiers. He then walks and walks and walks, and when he reaches the top of the stairs GW is there.

This is the time-space jump in the opposite direction from E5 when Dany takes off from the city wall after the Bells go off, flies for a good distance (Drogon's shadow on the roofs as per Bran's vision) before torching anything. The next time Cersei is watching her from Aegon's Hill, Dany and Drogon are only a few streets away from the walls, systematically burning the city street-by-street from the walls, with everything else further away completely intact.

Some complicated quantum physics no doubt.

Edited by Ser Hedge

1 minute ago, kissdbyfire said:

The way it was done... awful, repulsive, disgusting. 

And so out of character for noble Jon, who would've prob sat Dany down and told her he was about to kill her and why...not with a covert dagger to the heart while embracing.

3 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Well, the ending was rubbish and pathetic and stupid. So, what’s to like? 

And yes, that’s the forum’s twitter account, Ran and Linda’s.

It is supposed to be grrm's ending...

1 minute ago, Ser Hedge said:

This is the time-space jump in the opposite direction from E5 when Dany takes off from the city will after the Bells go off, flies for a good distance (Drogon's shadow on the roofs as per Bran's vision) before torching anything. The next time Cersei is watching her from Aegon's Hill, Dany and Drogon are only a few streets away from the walls, systematically burning the city street-by-street from the walls, with everything else further away completely intact.

Some complicated quantum physics no doubt.

DROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOGGGGGGGGGGGGGOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Burninating all the peoples!!!!!!

4 minutes ago, divica said:

It is supposed to be grrm's ending...

Daenerys becoming a tyrant;  Daenerys burning Kings Landing, and Jon killing her are all things I can accept.

It's not the bare bones of the ending I object to, it's the rushed leap to get there.

2 minutes ago, dannyk65 said:

DROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOGGGGGGGGGGGGGOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Burninating all the peoples!!!!!!

Just following orders Ma'am.

Whenever he did something on his own, he seems to have been a pretty smart cookie ;). I'm pretty sure he was framed in the Hazea case.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, teej6 said:

This was a great and fun read, thank you. 

4 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

That was very good, and quite ranty. :cheers:

This bit here is great:

I'll be honest: I laughed when Bran was elected king. Then I laughed as fucking Jon was sentenced back to the wall. I laughed again when, in a weird moment of meta, self-aware comedy, Jon asked why they even have the Night's Watch anymore. Good point! Why? I laughed when Sansa, for no clear reason, wanted the North to be separateeven though her brother is king.

I laughed as they set up their new government. I laughed thinking about how this is just as corruptible and shitty as their previous government or any other government could be. I laughed when it became clear that Tyrion appears to be the real leader of the Seven Kingdoms (six?) while Bran continued to do whatever the hell it is Bran does. I laughed that none of the prophecies mattered. I laughed that none of the character arcs mattered. I laughed that no one bothered to explain why Bran had fought the Night King so many times before. I laughed that the Children of the Forest just ceased to be. I laughed that Arya never used her Faceless powers (you know, actually taking someone's face) this season after she spent what felt like a billion years learning them. I laughed that the kid who breastfed until he was, like, 12 years old is still alive and looks pretty damn good.

I really enjoyed this article as well.  This early portion of the article was one of my favs:

..........Most shows absolutely overstay their welcome—just look at the last nearly two decades of The Simpsons. But Game of Thrones was different. It had to be long. It needed to be slow, and thoughtful, and most importantly take its time.

So to think that Benioff and Weiss wanted to do this in the 13 episodes that comprised Seasons Seven and Eight is ludicrous. And as any fan of this series could have predicted at the time, it didn't work

That's why Seasons Seven and Eight felt so ridiculously rushed. That's why people started teleporting, why once complex characters suddenly became flat, vanished altogether, or morphed into nothing but convenient Deus Ex Machina, or why producers literally left coffee cups and water bottles in shots. Those prop errors are the perfect metaphor for these last two seasons, where no one slowed down to think about the product they were putting out. No one stopped to consider these beloved character arcs or the sheer logic of the narrative. Instead Benioff and Weiss wanted bigger battles! They wanted spectacle not story.

Edited by Lady Fevre Dream

On 5/19/2019 at 8:15 PM, LucyMormont said:

I couldn't even pass through Tyrion's speech... the moment he said that there's nothing more powerful than a good story and that no enemy can defeat it, <snip>

I turned to my wife and said "Somebody sure kicked this one's ass."

1 hour ago, divica said:

That account really disliked the ending of the show. Aren t they close with grrm?

I'm not sure if you're kidding or what, but you do realize that they are the owners, operators of the forum here, and the co-authors of The World of Ice and Fire with GRRM, right? 

On 5/19/2019 at 11:55 PM, D2procon said:

It’s upsetting to me that Davos offered The Reach to the Unsullied to start a lineage BECAUSE THEY DONT HAVE PENISES.

To add to that it was offered, because all the people are gone and the lands are open for the taking.

Then a couple scenes later, Bronn is Lord of Highgarden the most profitable land left in the seven kingdoms and is in good shape to provide food and money to the capital...

Highgarden is in control of the Reach. So which is it, broken and empty or populated and prosperous?

Not keeping the story consistent from episode to episode or even scene to scene has been what D&D do best.