[Spoilers] Rant & Rave without Repercussion, Final edition

Ran

2 hours ago, Art Vandelay said:

So a prisoner gets to give a speech that will decide the next ruler.

The Starks somehow get to bring three people in to the same decision making process, despite at least two of them holding no power at all. Sansa is then allowed to interrupt other people's declaration for the Throne.

Arya is now threatening to cut powerful people's throats in front of audiences of other powerful people. Faceless Men are shit at the whole assassin thing.

Davos legitimately offers some eunuchs the chance to go start their own house.

Somehow Sam is there despite being in the NW therefore having no power whatsoever.

They elect the biggest weirdo they can find.

Sansa then just decides the North is no longer part of the kingdom and is allowed to do this. No one else bothers to claim their own independence.

They send Jon, who should by all rights be dead, back to the NW. For what? There's a giant fucking hole in the wall, the WW are dead and the Free Folk are all south of the fall. Of course we all know no one in Westeros understands the idea of getting behind walls anyway.

What in the name of fuck was that scene? It's only topped by Bronn being master of coin.

100%

Paraphrasing, GRRM has said in the past that for him the story is the journey and the details of that journey are what is important, more so than the end points.  D&D are more focused on the end points and don't really care if the journey is logically consistent. I think the end story can be fine with a satisfying journey to get there.

Consider this quote by GRRM:

The return of Drogon to the city was something I explored as happening at different times. For example, I wrote three different versions of Quentyn’s arrival at Meereen: one where he arrived long before Dany’s marriage, one where he arrived much later, and one where he arrived just the day before the marriage (which is how it ended up being in the novel). And I had to write all three versions to be able to compare and see how these different arrival points affected the stories of the other characters. Including the story of a character who actually hasn’t arrived yet.

This writing style is why the books take so long, and also why the books are unlikely to be that close to the show.  Even if some of the biggest highlights are the same, the journey is going to be completely different.

Another quote:

As you know, I don't outline my novels," Martin wrote to his publisher in 1993. "I find that if I know exactly where a book is going, I lose all interest in writing it. I do, however, have some strong notions as to the overall structure of the story I'm telling, and the eventual fate of many of the principle characters in the drama."

The show just cares about hitting the plot points, and not if the set up for those plot points makes any sense.

4 minutes ago, SuperMario said:

Can I just ask how did Sandra know that Bran's not able to get it up anymore?

That was weird as well...

In the show, Robb and Ned both seemed to be unconcerned about Bran's ability to get an erection and ejaculate. As a matter of fact, they were all but assured that his only problem will be his inability to walk.

Just read an article how fans' high expectations killed an otherwise perfect show (though a bit rushed, the author does admit). Woe is me, how could I have expected a coherent narrative and character development?

Apparently, everybody in the show forgot that Bronn, alongside Jamie, pillaged Highgarden for all its worth. And now he gets to be their Lord? GTFO.

I don't usually berate those that 'like' these kind of train-wrecks, but seriously, anyone who felt satisfied with this season is a low IQ sheep.

8 minutes ago, some old man said:

Apparently, everybody in the show forgot that Bronn, alongside Jamie, pillaged Highgarden for all its worth. And now he gets to be their Lord? GTFO.

I don't usually berate those that 'like' these kind of train-wrecks, but seriously, anyone who felt satisfied with this season is a low IQ sheep.

I love how they first offer The Reach to the Unsullied and claim it is unoccupied. The Reach is the most fertile and most populated region in Westeros, and they make it seem like it's Greenland.

1 minute ago, SuperMario said:

I love how they first offer The Reach to the Unsullied and claim it is unoccupied. The Reach is the most fertile and most populated region in Westeros, and they make it seem like it's Greenland.

It’s alright the poison butterflies will hopefully kill them. 

Loved how they have put every single surviving character (except for Bronn, so apparently Horn Hill is the new seat of power of the Reach) as the "new lords of westeros" PLUS A FEW RANDOM GUYS to make a impression

Isn't it funny how the first 3+ seasons were filled with the conflict that follows the death of a monarch when there are questions about the line of succession, but that same scenario is resolved in five minutes in season 8.  Game of Thrones has turned into the cliff notes version of an interesting show.

1 minute ago, Saturno said:

Naath was ever mentioned on the show? 

Yes, quite a few times. Even this year, when they were in Winterfell. GW told Missy they’d go to Naath after the xenophobic northerners gave them the evil eye. She also had a convo w/ Davos about it iirc, while he was ogling her. 

Just now, Le Cygne said:

Tobias Menzies wandered in and made a character actually seem real for a brief shining moment.. so of course he was cut short by rude Sandra. I was like, no, that's the only thing all season that was any good!

This really pissed me off. They bring the character back only to use him as a step for this ridiculous character they call """"""Sansa"""""".

Archived