[Spoilers] Rant & Rave without Repercussion, Final edition

Ran

1 hour ago, Ser Hedge said:

Stabbing the antagonist with a knife, duh?As  @kissdbyfire and @The Fattest Leechpoint out, the knife doesn't even make it to her heart. I don't dare re-watch this rubbish, but was she stabbed on her right side with a knife? Arya and Jamie survived much worse. How did she die that quickly?

Attack on Titan, a fucking manga/anime, gets the location of the heart correct. The fuck do these chuckleheads have as an excuse?

(attack on titan also does the 'grim situation constantly looming over the characters' shit better too)

4 minutes ago, Beardy the Wildling said:

Attack on Titan, a fucking manga/anime, gets the location of the heart correct. The fuck do these chuckleheads have as an excuse?

(attack on titan also does the 'grim situation constantly looming over the characters' shit better too)

I guess Jon needed some lessons on how to give the gift of mercy from his sister/cousin Arya.

After thinking about it, I do suspect that Jon and Dany killing the NK and Arya killing Dany would have been a better solution, we don't have the sexual politics if Arya does it, the show already gave Arya an entire episode of seeing death to motivate her to kill the killer....and Jon would not have been robbed of his actual story and victory.  Then, Arya has a reason to fuck off West, Jon can abdicate to Bran and it all seems more orderly and sensible?  Maybe?

4 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

I guess Jon needed some lessons on how to give the gift of mercy from his sister/cousin Arya.

After thinking about it, I do suspect that Jon and Dany killing the NK and Arya killing Dany would have been a better solution, we don't have the sexual politics if Arya does it, the show already gave Arya an entire episode of seeing death to motivate her to kill the killer....and Jon would not have been robbed of his actual story and victory.  Then, Arya has a reason to fuck off West, Jon can abdicate to Bran and it all seems more orderly and sensible?  Maybe?

There are a thousand ways the plot could have been made better, and D&D actively avoided all of them because they didn't want to be seen coming.

Here's another insightful meme on the matter:

https://i.redd.it/f9vogg4179x21.png

5 hours ago, SeanF said:

The very fact that they cut the last two seasons from 20 to 13 episodes, when HBO had said they were willing to finance the full 20, shows that they had lost interest in the project.

WRT actors;' opinions, I'd say that Emilia Clarke has made her opinions quite plain.  Not to mention Isaac Hempsall saying "I genuinely thought it was a joke script."

One question to anybody who has an insight into how TV-land operates:  With HBO offering to fund a couple more seasons of 10 episodes and D&D obviously rushing haphazardly and incoherently (to say the least) to finish GOT so they could quickly move on to pouring more creativity-free gasoline on the dumpster fire that is the current state of Star Wars filmdom, why didn't they just accept HBO's offer and give the show running duties to someone else.  For example, Kripke stopped being the show runner of Supernatural after season 5 and the show lasted another 10 years.   The quality might not have been any less of a clusterfuck then season 8 was, but it couldn't have been any worse and may have been better, especially if Dim & Dimmer had less involvement.  Were D&D so fanatical about their lack of vision and talent that they couldn't bear giving someone else a chance to trash the GRRM's opus?

9 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

That does sound much better. But it would make harder to sell a queen sansa…

And the whole jon leaves and lets everyone to fend for themselves sounds too strange for me... 

I think the best would be having jon be king for some years in order to stabilize westeros and then he abdicates and goes looking for happyness some place unknown...

2 hours ago, SuperMario said:

Yep. The things we've been saying for years, some people are now finally saying it for season 8 as if the same crap was not happening for years before. I saw someone on io9 complaining that Arya's white horse scene was what finally put them over the edge with the show. I mean, yes, that was crap. But did they not watch shirtless Ramsey killing soldiers in season 5? Or the Sand snakes? Or Gendry running hundreds of miles back to Eastwatch in the matter of about an hour?

This blows my mind how the show is only getting widespread criticism now. Most of the problems existed way back in earlier seasons. 

27 minutes ago, Beardy the Wildling said:

Attack on Titan, a fucking manga/anime, gets the location of the heart correct.

Any 6-yr-old knows where the heart is. That wasn’t because no one involved in filming/writing/directing the scene knew where the heart is located, it’s just sloppiness and not giving two fucks about it. Like the coffee cup, the bottles of water, etc. 

10 minutes ago, aFeastForDragons said:

This blows my mind how the show is only getting widespread criticism now. Most of the problems existed way back in earlier seasons. 

There were a lot of folks that thought all the horrible writing decisions were going to pay off in some spectacular manner as the show wound down.  This season was where people couldn't keep saying, "It'll pay off later.  You'll see!"  And had to start accepting that no, this isn't some epic set up.  This is the end.  The end of all those "pay off later" moments amounted to a fart in the wind, though with less actual substance.

14 minutes ago, aFeastForDragons said:

Be gentle with those of us who took a long time to realise what a shitshow it was - the Lord loves a repentant sinner.

And that's Samwell Gamgee climbing up the pedestal to Sauron's fiery eye ...

Has the eye seen him? Nope it's busy gawping at Mount Doom, over to Mount Doom ...

It's a late play drama here, Frodo appears with the Ring out of nowhere, but then Gollum snatched, no, bit the ring off, yes bit the ring off, complete with Frodo's finger, but it's not clear what's happening there ...

How did they get there? Eagles?

No, eagles look like the Nazi emblem and remember it's WWII somewhere else, no, they just teleported, remember the Rohirim and those Pirates of the Carribbean dudes did their thing two episodes ago, then we had one episode of Lady Galadriel acting like a right ol' B.....

Let me stop you right there Dan, yeah and with no build up whatever, the Hobbit and the ex-Hobbit have teleported to Mount Doom, that's what I call fast paced action, and, what, they're doing riddles?

Yes, Dave, this was a huge hit way back in the early seasons and they're doing some fan service there

Yeah, looks Sauron's eye kind of forgot about his Nazgul and orcs and stuff and is just watching ...

And poof!

Poof?

He's gone!

He's gone?

Samwell Gamgee with literally seconds left on the clock, pulled out his garden shears and poked the eye out. That's it, game over, done.

Wai wai wait, I thought the whole point was to get the ring into the volcano.

Well they don't have to since Sauron is gone, innit?

Ok, so what happens to the bloody ring?

Looks like they lost it.

What's Gollum going to do about his precious then?

Doesn't matter, he's no longer there, they ran out of CGI budget.

And this just in ... Merry Brandybuck is King!

Wtf? Wha about Aragorn?

Dunno but heard Arwen is leaving him, she can't be bothered with a mortal if he can't even be king.

Man, he must be shattered.

Nah, he's fine. Said he didn't have a tax policy anyway.

And Saruman is Chief Wizard, Chancellor, High Vizier and Master of War!

errr..... Are you sure? Wasn't he fighting for the other side?

No, dey all cool now.

Whaaaaaever.

Best Season evaaa.

27 minutes ago, divica said:

That does sound much better. But it would make harder to sell a queen sansa…

And the whole jon leaves and lets everyone to fend for themselves sounds too strange for me... 

I think the best would be having jon be king for some years in order to stabilize westeros and then he abdicates and goes looking for happyness some place unknown...

I believe that they wanted to give something to all the Starks. So Bran had to be King, then Sansa Queen,  Arya sails away and that leaves Jon going North. With what excuse? Ah killing the Queen (also emotional drama ). So to make Arya actually do something they gave her the NK. That's how I believe it goes...

8 minutes ago, Dragons Are Real said:

There were a lot of folks that thought all the horrible writing decisions were going to pay off in some spectacular manner as the show wound down.  This season was where people couldn't keep saying, "It'll pay off later.  You'll see!"  And had to start accepting that no, this isn't some epic set up.  This is the end.  The end of all those "pay off later" moments amounted to a fart in the wind, though with less actual substance.

So true...I was a patient one, staying away from forums, saying its just a TV show, they have restriction in time, they have specific budget...next season they will manage it, they will close the plot holes, it will be better, this year there was no next season. 

39 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

The show just made me want the books even more, so we get the real story.

I'm noticing a lot more interest in the books after this season. Should be good news for the George.

2 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

It was always a story about the Starks, the Lannisters and Dany, the original set of POVs from the first book, minus the 2 dead Starks.

Atcually, not "the Lannisters", but only Tyrion. And Sansa wasn't included in the "origianl 5" either, just Bran, Jon, Arya, Danaerys and Tyrion.

48 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Any 6-yr-old knows where the heart is. That wasn’t because no one involved in filming/writing/directing the scene knew where the heart is located, it’s just sloppiness and not giving two fucks about it. Like the coffee cup, the bottles of water, etc. 

New honeypot: Daenerys was one of the extremely rare cases where the heart ends up on the right, and Jon knew about this the same way he knew the Night King was a total fucking keystone: Psychic bullshit heroic instinct.

Archived