[Spoilers] Episode 806 Discussion

Ran

So, unless Sansa has kids, House Stark is dead. I hope Jon was abandoning the wall, bc him being the last Targaryen really bugged me. So the end of possibly Stark, Targaryen, Tyrell, Bolton, Karstark, Umber, I can't even remember them all, and what about Tarly? 

There are just too many things that don't make sense! So many questions still. So much I don't understand. And never will bc they just left us hanging. They may have wanted to tie up the loose ends, but they failed.

Do you think GRRM is going to end A Dream of Spring where the show ended Tonight, or will he end the Winds of Winter where the show ended Tonight and keep the story going for A Dream of Spring? 

A Dream of Spring, was originally titled A Time For Wolves afterall... Maybe he changed it to not give too much away... 

Arya wanted to travel from the first book. 

“Arya glanced at it thoughtfully, but it was well beyond the reach of her stick. It made her think of the sea. Maybe that was the way out. Old Nan used to tell stories of boys who stowed away on trading galleys and sailed off into all kinds of adventures. Maybe Arya could do that too. ”

Excerpt From: George R R Martin. “A Game of Thrones Enhanced Edition.” Apple Books. 

I thought it was awesome!!! Considering how rushed the season has been, I really wondered how they were going to be able to finish it up well, and I was very pleasantly surprised. I cried so much! First when Tyrion found Jaime's hand. Ripped my heart out. Blubbered like a baby when Jon killed Dany, esp when Drogon kept nudging her, and even worse when Arya said good bye to Jon.

I totally called Bran being made king a couple seasons ago; I can't believe it! I have never called anything like that before. "Why do you think I came all this way?" So, I guess, Bran can see the future, at least some things?

All in all, I think everyone ended up where they needed/deserved to be. Didn't like Bronn being on the small council, though. I loved him for his snarkiness, but a sell sword on the small council? I know he's finally received his payment, but he's always been out for himself, and now they're going to trust him to do the best for the realm? Hmmmm. Then again, he did say the founders of all the great houses had been cutthroats.

Brienne finishing Jaime's page in the book of knights with tears in her eyes, heartbreaking but appropriate. And Pod a Kingsguard. Too cool.

They pulled Edmure out of obscurity so he could make an ass of himself one last time. :lmao:

I know a lot of people are gonna hate Sansa being Queen in the North, but really, who else is there? It has to be a Stark, and she is the only one who always looked out for the interests of the North. She was being groomed for it ever since she went to Kings Landing. And it's a cool bit of irony that at the beginning of the show she couldn't wait to get out of the North, and now she's the North's champion.

I know a lot of people will not be happy about Tyrion being made hand either. But he was at his best when he was standing in for his father as Hand of the King to Joffrey and when he first started advising Dany on political matters only. It was when he had to make decisions regarding warfare that he failed miserably. He has a brilliant political mind, but a lousy military mind. A lot of people think he was trying to save Cersei for his own sake, but I believer it was purely for Jaime's sake. When they're walking through the rubble at the beginning, he says he needs to find Jaime. Nothing about Cersei. I really loved it when he stood up to Dany with complete anger and disgust in his eyes (he has great eyes).

I thought it was great that neither Jon nor Tyrion got off scott free.  They both did what they did knowing full well the consequences, and they were ready to accept them. Their conversation in Tyrion's cell may have been the best part of the episode. I wondered if Tyrion would say something about pissing off the end of the world. :lol:

The scene with Drogon's wings unfolding behind Dany was some seriously good cinematography. Also liked him roaring at the end of Dany's speech, and melting the Iron Throne was totally awesome.

So, Westeros is not ready for democracy, but they're on their way to representative government. Yay!

2 hours ago, Pandean said:

Dany's continuing the style of executing prisoners....except for these I think might have surrendered. Nice.

I didn't get that impression. All the Lannister soldiers seemed to have surrendered last episode.

2 hours ago, Danelle said:

I kind of feel bad for Tyrion. He really believed in Dany.

2 hours ago, Danelle said:

He also really loved Jaime. He is now the last of the Lannisters. Sort of. Jon believed in Dany more though. So did Varys. But the scene with Tyrion discovering the hand was....

Jon didn't believe in Dany more, but remember he is loyal to a fault. None of them wanted to believe she was what she had become because they all loved her (love is the death of duty). Varys was the first to accept reality I think, because of what he had seen before with other rulers.

In the end, Dany's character WAS a driving force for good. Her ideal about how to get there just became very warped. Tyrion said it very well.

I stopped at min 42, could not stand to continue.  This is so stupid.  I cannot listen to the little weasel Tyrion and his garbage any more, too much Tyrion.   Who decided to give this bullsht so much screentime?  Should've been killed in the first minutes of the show.  Jon Snow bullsht.  This episode is just so aggressively dumb.

As far as I'm concerned this show ended with ep5. 

Edited by Hoo

12 minutes ago, Higgins86 said:

Martin has no idea how’s it going to end. He gave HBO a rushed panicked list and that’s how it ended. GRRM is so buried in his sub plots it would be a miracle if he published an ending. 

I hadn't heard that GRRM gave them a rushed panicked list; I'd heard that he told them the ending but said that he didn't know how he was getting to that point.  Anyway, there's no reason why he can't keep the ending (with better buildup) or change some of it or do a completely different ending including who lives and who dies among the main characters.

But for now, I can be glad that Sansa and Davos and Jon made it out alive.  (I always believed that Arya and Tyrion would live)

You get a crown and you get a crown and you get a crown!”

• Bran is King of Westeros.
  • Sansa is Queen of the North.
  • Jon is King Beyond the Wall.

Only Arya didn't get crowned.  A Time for Wolves indeed.

Edited by CrypticWeirwood

9 minutes ago, Raksha 2014 said:

I hadn't heard that GRRM gave them a rushed panicked list; I'd heard that he told them the ending but said that he didn't know how he was getting to that point.  Anyway, there's no reason why he can't keep the ending (with better buildup) or change some of it or do a completely different ending including who lives and who dies among the main characters.

But for now, I can be glad that Sansa and Davos and Jon made it out alive.  (I always believed that Arya and Tyrion would live)

I admire your faith but didn’t he recently say he’s still writing Winter? This isn’t. Harry Potter situation where JK genuinely had the end figured out. His last two books were absolutely all over the place .

43 minutes ago, Jamie Lannister said:

Her closure seemed the most directionless of all the main characters. Her clichéd "hero strikes off alone to go see the world" ending felt like such an afterthought, like they had no idea what to really do with her.

It did seem a bit random.

I mean her maternal grandfather was mentioned that he loved to travel, and there was a Stark ancestor who also seemed to enjoy exploring. But so far in the books and the tv series her arc seemed to focus on revenge and her pack. Perhaps in the books we will be given more context in regards to that decision. 

Well that's it...more than ever I'm looking forward to getting back into reading and I hope GRRM gets the next book out in the next five years. D&D really are hacks who fracked up one of the best series in the history of television. Hopefully their next job will be writing a "Transformers" script for Michael Bay...other than that if anyone sees them with pen or a laptop with Final Draft on it...grab a gas can a lighter and scream "Dracarys!" at the top of your lungs just before setting them ablaze...fracking tragic!

39 minutes ago, clegaanebowl said:

Can someone explain to me why the non-stark royal families would accept a stark king if the north is no longer a part of the seven kingdoms?

Because bloodline was only relevant when rule was going to pass to descendants. 

Now the ruler is chosen, it doesn’t matter what family they’re from, or where they’re from, or what claim they’re thought to have, it only matters that they’re deemed the best option to rule. 

Anyone notice that Sam was referred to as Grand maester at the council meeting at the end? That was a bit of a jump considering he was only studying to be a maester before. 

I guess he got his library book fines waived too...

but how the heck did he get out of being in the nights watch? 

4 minutes ago, Figdoni said:

but how the heck did he get out of being in the nights watch? 

I'd imagine the king can pretty easily waive someone's Night's Watch oath.  Stannis implied as much in the books when he offered Jon Winterfell.  Plus, the Night's Watch doesn't really do anything any more, seeing as the foe they were established to protect the realm from has been defeated.

Edited by briantw

8 minutes ago, zek76251 said:

Well that's it...more than ever I'm looking forward to getting back into reading and I hope GRRM gets the next book out in the next five years. D&D really are hacks who fracked up one of the best series in the history of television. Hopefully their next job will be writing a "Transformers" script for Michael Bay...other than that if anyone sees them with pen or a laptop with Final Draft on it...grab a gas can a lighter and scream "Dracarys!" at the top of your lungs just before setting them ablaze...fracking tragic!

Their next job is an upcoming Star Wars trilogy.  I don't think there's been any confirmation of the time period they will be working with.

4 minutes ago, Anthon Stark said:

Their next job is an upcoming Star Wars trilogy.  I don't think there's been any confirmation of the time period they will be working with.

Honestly, they're probably better suited for working on big budget films.  Say what you want about the writing, but this show was a fucking masterpiece visually, especially toward the end when they had a boatload of money to work with.  Your average Star Wars film is a hell of a lot more simplistic than A Song of Ice & Fire too.

We may never see another television show as pretty as this one.

Edited by briantw

20 minutes ago, Higgins86 said:

I admire your faith but didn’t he recently say he’s still writing Winter? This isn’t. Harry Potter situation where JK genuinely had the end figured out. His last two books were absolutely all over the place .

From a recent (April 19) interview in Rolling Stone (interviewer in bold):  

So you’re gonna be somewhat surprised by their ending then, perhaps …
Well, to a degree. I mean, I think … the major points of the ending will be things that I told them, you know, five or six years ago. But there may also be changes, and there’ll be a lot added.

And I've heard/read the same thing elsewhere.  So at least some of what we saw tonight will very likely be at the end of the books.