[Spoilers] Episode 806 Discussion

Ran

1 hour ago, fairwarging said:

Honestly Sweetrobin surviving and thriving would be a pretty subversive move by GRRM. He seems guaranteed to die at this point.

"Subversive" isn't anymore, its just another tired lame trope at this point.

Sweetrobin in the show has zero reason to not survive and thrive and without dragons in the picture, the Vale remains completely fucking invulnerable. All it has to do is maintain relations with Braavos and its arsenal, and poof, the rest of the kingdoms can fuck off. Or beat themselves bloody against the bloody gates or try and fight a long naval war.

Sweetrobin in the book however, is on the edge of being poisoned to death or dying from withdrawal, having a severe epileptic fit regarding Sansa"Alayne" getting hurt oneway or another, or outright assassination. Even if he is aged up and has grown quite a bit and is entering physical and sexual maturity, he's still all kinds of fucked. IIRC, they ignored the SweetSleep and drugs entirely in the show, but its a thing in the books.

34 minutes ago, Jabar of House Titan said:

And that's problem.

Cersei got a nice cute little indirect eulogy from BRIENNE in Jaime's book. Whereas no one even acknowledges Daenerys for all the good she has done; no one ever thanks her for helping and saving them....

What the actual phuq

30 minutes ago, SeanF said:

That's the final insult.  Daenerys did a great deal wrong, but she did save the world and she smashed the slave trade - but still died in disgrace.  Sam Tarly will never write her up as anything other than a complete monster. 

Grey Worm and Yara were both pretty passionate supporters of Dany, I thought.

I agree that it’s sad that Sam will not write positive stories about Dany, but it’s a sad fact of life that history books are written by victors and are not always reflective of what really happened.

Probably my favourite episode of the season (first two were a snoozefest, 3, 4, 5 were painful to watch). Here is why:

1. Regardless of Danys sudden madness making little sense, I liked Mad Dany more then previous Dany. Her speech was really epic, you could see her barbaric army cheer for her while Westerosi were shocked. She felt like somebody who fully embraced idea of Stalinism and will do everything to enforce it, burn the world to the ground and rebuild it exactly as they wanted it to be. I expected her speech to cringe me like they did in the past, but it didn't because in the past Dany would want to do good but would in the process make some really terrible decisions and people that watched show would praise her for it. Very well acted by the actress unlike some scenes with old Dany. 

2. Seeing Tyrion sitting in the Hands chair and holding a Small Council meeting and just seeing interior of Red Keep quarters reminded me of seasons 1-4 when show was still great. Regardless of Sam the Breaker of Secret vows, Abandoner of his unborn child and Robber of Books being Grandmaster and Bronn the Cutthroat being master of Coin seating there, I liked it. 

3. Let's forget how ridiculous Brans crowning was for a moment and think how suspicious it was. Bran seems to be gone and be replaced with some program created by Children of the Forest. All he seems to do is follow some plan that was premade for him. Remember him saying 'Chaos is a ladder.' to Littlefinger? Why this quote out of everything LF has said (lets ignore the obvious its supposed to be cool), this quote had nothing to do with the downfall of Ned or any other Starks it was used in conversation with Varys when LF found out that the prostitute that Joffrey kills worked for Varys. Children of the Forest created the White Walkers and programmed Bran into their weapon to manipulate the humanity into making him King.

4. I was disappointed with season 5 and had hopes s6 would be better, but it just upset me. But after Baelors Sept exploded in season 6 and half of the characters and plots died in it I knew and accepted things aren't gonna get better. Because of not having any expectations s7 and s8 didn't upset me they just made me laugh with stupidity it had. When the show that I watched ends even if its mediocre I can feel a bit depressed and empty few days afterwards, but not with Game of Thrones. It just felt like a nice calm 1 hour long ending and afterwards I felt good. 

5. Even though Sansa being Queen in the North was cringest thing in the episode I was glad her black leather clothes are gone and ugly bald hairstyle. She had a great Northern dress and beautiful free hair. No woman has looked like an attractive lady in the show since Margery exploded in that Sept. 

7/10 better than expected. 

Jon being exiled feels just weird for me. He saved many lives by killing Dany, and he loved her, yet all the other lords, and especially Tyrion, Arya and Sansa knew that she eventually would have to be killed if she would continue her tyranny, and they too wanted her to be death. Yet Jon's the one doing it and he gets punished for it while Tyrion gets to be hand of the king? Idk it just feels like Tyrion used Jon to do the dirty work. I didn't like Tyrion this last episode, he basically betrayed Dany after being the one that has been counseling her extremely bad for two seasons and he's basically one of the reasons of her demise, only to betray her when things go bad and he's the one that gets Jon banished to the wall. And yeah Greyworm wanted Jon to be punished but then he left for Naath, so why would Sansa and Arya let Jon be punished when they too wanted Dany death?

Edited by EProduc

So many things...Did Bran manipulate everything to become King? And if he did, why? Because he saw that he was the best option for a better future? For someone who didn't want it, he seemed pretty happy about it. Or at least as happy as UnBran gets.

I think Sansa meant the Northmen wouldn't kneel again....unless it was to her. I got the feeling she wanted the crown, and was really not ok with Bran being chosen. But after everyone else said aye, she decided being queen of the North would have to do. Really still don't like her character. Don't know if the character is supposed to be a smug bitch, but she rubs me wrong, lol. Sorry to all Sansa fans, but you can at least be happy about her outcome.

Jon is, and has always been, my favorite. And I still don't know what the hell is going on. His arc thrown out the window in favor of other characters, unless his arc really was only about playing a role in driving Dany over the edge and then killing her? Is he really in the night's watch, or is he now a wildling? This is a big question for me. Truly in night's watch means end of the Targaryen line. That makes me sad. If Jon is able to marry and have children, I would be ok with his ending. I hate not knowing what happens next, lol. Extremely frustrating.

I need the books. I need answers lol.

Arya leaving for West of Westeros was a good end to her story but with Jon going north of the wall and Bran in the capital they're just separate again and idk I really wanted them to stick together in Winterfell... :frown5:

and I know it's game of thrones and there aren't happy endings but idk they all were separated for so many years and got through so many bad things only to get reunited and then leave each other again, forever... The ending is just really bittersweet isn't it.. 

If there were some episodes left, it'd be nice showing the progression of years as a multidecade winter kills everything and everyone, and when Bran is a middle aged man, seeing millions of wights march across Westeros in an unstoppable apocalypse.

Does it bother anyone that Jon did not say good bye to Davos?

Does it bother anyone that Bronn is now a member of the SC, after threatening the lives of Jamie and Tyrion, with there being no making amends be tween he and Tyrion? I mean, the last time we saw Bronn, he had a crossbow pointed at the two of them, and actually fired a warning shot. The next time we see him, all is honkey-dorey w/Tyrion???

Does it bother anyone that Jon was sentenced to the NW? Sorry, but it would have been much better if Tyrion, Bran, Sansa and Arya (maybe) went to Jon and has a convo along the lines of, "well, if we do this it's war, if we do that it's war... we are trying to decide what to do with you?" And then Jon says, "I will go up north, and take up with the Wildlings". This way, he is taking the moral high ground, and he is being the better man - both of which he has been doing for almost the entire 8 seasons. But this way, D&D made him seem like a weak, submissive, broken man. That's not Jon Snow.

LOVED seasons 1-7, but this whole season, esp. the last ep. was a BIG letdown.

6 minutes ago, riffwraith said:

But this way, D&D made him seem like a weak, submissive, broken man. That's not Jon Snow.

I agree, this ending didn't really feel right for the Jon we know. Also the "you're my queen" sentence that kept being repeated over and over.. didn't fit with his character. 

But on the other hand, the (Upper) North is where he belongs, it's where he was happiest (with the wildlings), and he got to reunite with Ghost, so his ending also feels right in a way

Edited by EProduc

1 hour ago, EProduc said:

But on the other hand, the (Upper) North is where he belongs, it's where he was happiest (with the wildlings), and he got to reunite with Ghost, so his ending also feels right in a way 

I agree that's where he belongs; it' show he got there that bugs me.

3 minutes ago, EProduc said:

I agree, this ending didn't really feel right for the Jon we know. Also the "you're my queen" sentence that kept being repeated over and over.. didn't fit with his character. 

This is the ending I expected for him while reading the books. I never thought he would be King. My question is, when will he kill Dany in the books? do the others reach kings landing? 

Dany could always say "Fuck it" to Westeros and the Iron Throne and conquer the richer, larger Essos, which has a nice handy underclass desperate to revolt and follw her. I could easily see her gathering up the Dothraki and using them as a hammer to acquire Norvos and Qohor while also grabbing Volantis.

I mean why go to Westeros at all? That was Viserys' obsession, Dany only sort of cared.

Jon Snow’s ending was somewhat foreshadowed in Episode 4 when he was saying goodbye to Tormund. He asked Tormund to take Ghost because that was where he belonged and would be happier there. Tormund told Jon he would be happier there too.  Jon then says that he wished he was going with them. Tormund tells Jon he has the North in him.  The Real North. Quite honestly this is exactly where I felt he would ultimately end up.  He is now King Beyond the Wall leading the freefolk home.

Edited by TheFirstofHerName

Random thoughts.. Benjen Stark was turned into a WW by the Children, not by the NK.   So in his last scene he's fighting the wights so Jon can get away.  But can Benjen really be killed?  I say no, he's undead himself and wights can't really hurt him.  So maybe Jon hooks up with him in the true north now.

At the council meeting in the dragon pit, Sam's clothing looked alot like a Lord Tarly to me.  How did he go from Lord to wearing Maester's robes?   A Grand one, at that. Can he actually be both a Lord and Maester now under the new rules?   I would hope so and that he has Gilly and the 2 kids with him in KL now. 

Arya vs. Yara.  Well sure that would have been the fight of  the century.   But a better scene would have been Arya telling Yara how bravely her brother Theon fought against the wights and the NK himself.  It was Theon (being where he needed to be) that gave Arya time to get where she needed to be.  Perhaps his final lunge at the NK was was the distraction that let her slip into the kill zone.

Drogon vs. Jon.  Seems to have some warg-like connection with Dany.   He knew the moment she died and came to investigate.  He disregarded Jon completely and saw the IT as the real enemy.  He understood much.

Bran vs. Drogon.  Young Bran had a difficult time with Summer. 3ER-1 warned him not to linger too long or the Direwolf would take over, forever.  So perhaps a dragon's personality would crush Bran if they ever connected that way.  A dragon is not a slave.  A dragon is not a Hodor.

15 minutes ago, Vashon said:

I mean why go to Westeros at all? That was Viserys' obsession, Dany only sort of cared.

Because King Robert, against Ned's advice,  sent an assassin to kill her.  At that point even Khal Drogo was on board with crossing the sea to Westeros.

14 hours ago, Danelle said:

Arya was the only character i wad really never invested to but she never seemed to care about wanderlust. She always seemed to care about her pack. 

People everywhere have been saying 'she was always an adventurer'. Where? Its got to the point where I think I'm missing something. I think the triumphant ending ruined the message of Arya's story. Its not triumphant. She wants home, she wants family. But she doesn't feel like she fits in with her family anymore. Gendry's legitimisation takes him away from her. She has nothing and nowhere so she's still wandering looking for home. And if you really want to get into it, the insistence that she is NEVER coming back, that its a task that people more skilled than her have attempted and disappeared, that the books heavily suggest Arya will die young because of her 'wolf blood' and you are looking at an ending that is downright grim. But the show doesn't give you that context of her journey because they want a truimphant montage.