[Spoilers] Episode 806 Discussion

Ran

5 hours ago, Br16 said:

Thanks for your reply! You bring up a great point on the ending mess D&D left us with.  Also what are your thoughts regarding Bronn's military strength? All I can figure out is that he probably commands the Lannister Garrison left behind at High Garden when they took it (assuming Daenerys didn't rectify that after the Gold Road battle). Don't think he could hire any more as the Tyrell life savings went to the Iron Bank/GC and the harvest  burned by dragon fire. Considering that he was part of the force sent by Jaime to requisition the harvest, I bet all the smallfolk farmers and Highgarden gentry hate him.

Thus, how is Bronn going to assert his authority against the prestigious Redwyns and Hightowers? I read elsewhere on this forum that Hightower army could be 10-15K and Redwyne fleet is 200 ships. Plus, since he was part of the force that killed Olenna Redwyne, I could see some discontent there. I feel unless Sam is willing to persuade whoever rules Horn Hill now to lend him the remains of the Tarly army, he's finished.

Frankly, no matter how much Bronn goes about being a "hard bastard", I just don't see him as Lord Paramount. Realistically, he needs Tyrion's patronage and protection, and anything other than a holdfast sworn to Casterly rock, a lannister cousin wife and elevation to vassal Lord would be out of his practical reach.

I feel that D&D should have cleared this up since The Reach is the one region that matters the most now that the Lannister mines are dry. 

The Bronn situation is kind of the same - I can see the intension, which again is a million miles from the realistic situation that you outline. All D&D have thought through is that with The Reach under his control he has the richest lands in the realm hence he can fund the whole kingdom from his pockets. We must also assume a considerable part of the Tyrell army survived to enforce peace and that all his bannermen are perfectly happy with the arrangement. When Fairy Tales end with 'Happy Ever After', you're not supposed to ask what 'after'? They take us for fools, they really do.

3 hours ago, Kaapstad said:

Does it say anything about Jon and Arya’s ending?

No, it doesn’t say anything about the story or the characters or the script. It focuses on the production, mainly on set design, makeup, extras and a little on directing, actors’ goodbyes and the snack cart lady. 

I will actually start a thread of its own, in case anyone else watched it. 

43 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

No, it doesn’t say anything about the story or the characters or the script. It focuses on the production, mainly on set design, makeup, extras and a little on directing, actors’ goodbyes and the snack cart lady. 

I will actually start a thread of its own, in case anyone else watched it. 

I watched it, and for the sake of the snack cart lady alone you should start a thread!

On 5/25/2019 at 9:39 AM, Table8 said:

I’m shocked by the fan turnaround on this show.  I mean, why now?  What made season 8 (hate) so bad compared to prior seasons?

I registered just because I have such a strong theory about this.  I think the problems with the battle scenes in the third episode are a huge factor in this phenomenon, not just that they were (to some) so poorly lit and unwatchable - especially disappointing I would imagine given the strong hype about the 55 days of filming - but that the response was basically to blame the people watching for not having fancy enough tvs or tuning their tvs right.  I feel like this was an "the emperor has no clothes" moment that really changed the fan/critic dynamic toward the show.  There was a huge exponential increase in complaining with ep. 4, even before Dany's 'turn', and then ep. 5 finished things off.  I'm sure there would always have been people who were upset and disappointed about Dany and then with the wrap-up to ep. 6, but I really wonder if with battle scenes in ep. 3 that lived up to the promotion, if it would have been the same volume or intensity.  

Edited by JBM

22 minutes ago, Kaapstad said:

What do you guys think is Jon’s purpose now in the far North? What’s he going to do? What is his objective?

He's the new Mance I suppose, King beyond the wall in all but name. Maybe he will check out Night King castle to make sure its truly over.

1 hour ago, Kaapstad said:

What do you guys think is Jon’s purpose now in the far North? What’s he going to do? What is his objective?

I think he was just walking his dog. He's the Lord Commander of the Night's Watch and has to supervise his two (count 'em) subordinates. He's gotta keep the kingdom safe from .....from ...... well there's a lot of maintenance to be done.

On 5/19/2019 at 7:15 PM, CrypticWeirwood said:

We were wrong. This story was never that of the Targaryen Restoration.

This was the story of the Stark Restoration!

Who knew?

Bran can't have kids, Jon can't have kids named Stark and well neither can Arya or Sansa. This to me might be the loudest BS alarm for trying to compare the show ending to how the books will end...if none of the 4 surviving Starks can have Stark children...it ends up being about the Starks vanishing. 

On 5/19/2019 at 7:20 PM, NonoNono said:

Yes, Jon is King Beyond the Wall! Well deserved at least.

Clearly Jon doesn't want to be King of anything. If he did he could have pressed his claim after killing Dany. Hell at that point he was King Jon Snow, he didn't even have to reveal his secret identity. Sansa and Co should have been saying "You have our King as prisoner, we demand you release him". 

Instead Jon did nothing but possibly allow himself to be captured, then kept his mouth shut and took the exile.

On 5/19/2019 at 8:02 PM, Lord Varys said:

LOL!

Elective kingship. A Stark king giving the North independence! I pissed myself.

And how the hell does Grey Worm know that Dany got a dagger in the heart? Didn't the dragon fly away with her? And how likely is it that anyone would allow Jon to live after what he pulled if they knew?

What is a more sane scenario:

Living under Dany who actually has freed people and gone only very far when pushed, or FUCKING BRONN as Master of Coin?

Great point. There wasn't a body. Why would Jon and Co even accept the accusation that he killed Dany?