[Spoilers] Episode 806 Discussion

Ran

I liked the episode.  Definitely the best episode of this season; which isn't saying a lot. But Davos, Tyrion, Sam, Arya, and Sansa are alive and well; so I'm fairly happy.  And no more White Walkers.  Peter Dinklage was terrific; Jon and Daenerys' last scene was good; Drogon didn't fry anyone; and Bran can talk in cogent sentences.  I'm pleased that the North has its independence; hope they can get food from somewhere.  

(but how the heck did Sam become Grand Maester in the time it took for Jon to get to the Wall?)

We should have known. Maester Aemon the blind Targaryen saw everything.

When he opened the door, the light from within threw his shadow clear across the yard, and for just a moment Tyrion Lannister stood tall as a king.

and 

"Oh, I think that Lord Tyrion is quite a large man," Maester Aemon said from the far end of the table. He spoke softly, yet the high officers of the Night's Watch all fell quiet, the better to hear what the ancient had to say. "I think he is a giant come among us, here at the end of the world."

Tyrion answered gently, "I've been called many things, my lord, but giants seldom one of them."

"Nonetheless," Maester Aemon said as his clouded, milk-white eyes moved to Tyrion's face, "I think it is true."

For once, Tyrion Lannister found himself at a loss for words.

I'm so much happier with this than with Tyrion's execution

This was a happy ending, or as close as you can get. Bittersweet, if you would.

Edited by CrypticWeirwood

9 minutes ago, robasp2 said:

Pathetic episode.

A joke of a small council.

Logic thrown out of the window

I couldn't agree more! I'm so confused and upset with he ending. I'm hoping GRRM says that's not his ending, but I have the worst sinking feeling it is (except probably a much better small council) which means I think I'm done with the books now too!

Just now, teej6 said:

So did Bran plan all this? What are they implying?

I think Bloodraven used everyone. He tricked Bran with the visions, caught him through his emotions, his "brokenness". Bloodraven is now king, and probably can control Drogon.

People want stories, that's what Bloodraven used: the power of stories, to manipulate people into becoming king.

4 minutes ago, north of the wall said:

I couldn't agree more! I'm so confused and upset with he ending. I'm hoping GRRM says that's not his ending, but I have the worst sinking feeling it is (except probably a much better small council) which means I think I'm done with the books now too!

This is an awesome ending. They've laid many, many Easter Eggs for the bits that they'll save for Martin to tell. That way they haven't spoiled the books. The whole Drogon bit of not harming Jon but destroying the Iron Throne instead and then winging Dany's cooling body away are Easter Eggs.

Bran was just being cagey saying he'd find Drogon. He knows perfectly well where Drogon is. We don't, but he does.

Edited by CrypticWeirwood

2 minutes ago, NonoNono said:

I think Bloodraven used everyone. He tricked Bran with the visions, caught him through his emotions, his "brokenness". Bloodraven is now king, and probably can control Drogon.

People want stories, that's what Bloodraven used: the power of stories, to manipulate people into becoming king.

So BR won and the Blackfyre rebellion is finally over?

Just now, Mystical said:

How was Tyrion, in shackles due to treason, allowed to nominate anyone as King? And while in said shackles, for treason, voted in as Hand? Holy hell.

What was odd was Greyworm basically agreeing to let the other lords and ladies just decide his fate.  I get that they're just soldiers and don't know anything about leading or ruling,   it it seemed weird.  Also why would they take Jon prisoner vs just killing him on sight?

Very underwhelming. The beginning was done....well? Her death was quick. About as abrupt as her going mad. Small council and the vote for king...felt fake/forced/something not right about it all. 

Jon going north is fine, but it still felt hollow. 

Overall, for such a great set of books and a series with such promise, it ended poorly, and just left me feeling meh about the whole thing. It's depressing, really, but I suppose I'm glad it's over (and sad it's over at the same time). 

3 minutes ago, NonoNono said:

I don't think D&D actually thought it through this far.